Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
A septic system treats and disposes of daily wastewater for homeowners who don’t have access to a sewage system. Having a septic warranty protects this intricate system by covering the cost of repairs or replacements. Read on to learn our recommendations for septic warranty providers and compare their benefits and coverage details.
Septic Warranty vs. Home Warranty
A septic warranty covers a septic system and may only last for a limited time after the initial purchase. However, many top home warranty companies cover the repair or replacement costs of a variety of systems and appliances, including your septic system. Additionally, a home warranty can be renewed year after year, so protection on your items doesn’t expire.
Benefits of a Home Warranty vs. a Septic Warranty
While both septic and home warranties can be beneficial, they offer very different levels of protection in your home.
Take a look at the benefits of a septic warranty below:
- Protects you from paying out of pocket for repairs made to septic components or parts that malfunction due to normal wear and tear
- Covers electrical and mechanical septic breakdowns
- Provides additional coverage after your initial manufacturer’s warranty expires
Here are a few benefits of a home warranty:
- Protects a variety of home appliances and systems, such as your washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, water heater, refrigerator, air conditioner and more
- Helps homeowners without an emergency fund repair or replace their essential home appliances and systems at an affordable cost
- Takes away the stress of finding the right repair technician, as most home warranty companies have a network of vetted contractors
- Provides home buyers with the assurance that their new home’s appliances and systems are functional and protected
What Does a Septic Warranty Cover?
A septic warranty covers the cost of repairing components and parts that malfunction due to normal wear and tear. Additionally, many septic warranty plans cover electrical and mechanical breakdowns.
A home warranty can also cover specific parts of a septic system that need repairs or replacements. For example, American Home Shield offers comprehensive septic sewage ejector pump coverage that protects the ejector pump and some main line stoppages.
In many home warranty plans, septic coverage includes the following:
- Sewage ejector pump
- Jet pump
- Aerobic pump
- Septic tank
- Sewer lines
Home Warranty Resources
- What is a Home Warranty?
- How Much Do Home Warranties Cost?
- Is a Home Warranty Worth It for You?
- Best Home Warranties in 2023
- Do Your Appliances Need Extended Warranties?
What To Consider Before Buying a Septic Warranty
Before purchasing a septic warranty, it’s important to research multiple providers to ensure you’re getting the right coverage. Here are some factors to consider:
- Select the right plan—Many home warranty companies offer a range of coverage options, though not all of them offer protection against septic system failure. If you choose a home warranty plan, consider selecting a systems or combo plan, which typically includes septic system coverage.
- Compare plan costs—Sometimes, septic coverage is only available as an add-on. Before purchasing a home warranty plan, make sure your septic tank is included in regular coverage. If it’s not, check the cost of add-on coverage across multiple providers.
- Be aware of coverage exclusions—Many home warranty companies exclude parts of your septic system from coverage, such as drain field pipe replacement and waste disposal. These exclusions are usually included in a provider’s service contract.
Best Septic Warranty Companies
When discussing comprehensive septic warranties, American Home Shield and Select Home Warranty offer some of the best in the industry. Here are the details on each provider:
American Home Shield offers three quality protection plans that cover a variety of systems and appliances. Additionally, the provider offers a septic sewage ejector pump add-on that covers many malfunctions related to your septic system.
Select Home Warranty is one of the most affordable providers in the industry, offering three comprehensive coverage plans that protect a variety of appliances and systems. Like many providers, Select Home Warranty offers septic system coverage as an optional add-on.
Frequently Asked Questions About Septic Warranties
Is a septic warranty necessary?
While well-maintained septic systems can last up to 40 years, expensive and unexpected breakdowns are possible. If a component stops working, expensive professional service may be required.
A septic warranty gives you peace of mind that if a covered component or part of your system malfunctions, you won’t have to pay for expensive repair or replacement costs. Additionally, your provider will send a trusted technician to resolve your issue, ensuring it’s done correctly the first time around.
How can I protect my septic system?
One of the simplest ways to protect your septic system from damages is conducting routine maintenance, such as scheduling an annual pump inspection, practicing efficient water habits and properly disposing of waste.
What are signs of a septic system problem?
Here are a few warning signs that your septic system might be damaged:
- Flushing issues—If your toilet flushes slowly or not at all, you could have a full septic tank. If a plunger doesn’t resolve your issue, you may also be dealing with clogged pipes.
- Slow drains—While slow drains could indicate a clogged pipe, it could also signal an issue within your septic system.
- Foul odors—If you notice a rotten egg smell when you walk outside, you could have a sewage leak.
- Patches of standing water—Puddles around your tank’s drain field could signal an issue with your system.
In addition to a septic system, what else does a home warranty cover?
The home systems and appliances that a home warranty covers vary from provider to provider. Here’s a list of the most common items protected under a company’s most comprehensive plan:
- Air conditioning system
- Heating system
- Electrical system
- Plumbing system
- Water heater
- Built-in microwave
- Garbage disposal
- Clothes washer
- Clothes dryer
- Garage door opener
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.