Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
- American Home Shield review
- Choice Home Warranty review
- Select Home Warranty review
- Liberty Home Guard review
- Home Service Club review
What Are the Best Home Warranty Companies in California?
Homeowners insurance may cover your home in the event of a disaster, but if any of your appliances or systems fail due to normal wear and tear, you are not only out of luck, you are probably out thousands of dollars. The solution? Invest in a home warranty to protect your house and give you peace of mind.
Many cities in California will see close to a 100 days that reach 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and to combat this extreme heat, many homeowners install air conditioning or their own in-ground pools.
According to the American Housing Survey, 10.7 million California homes have some sort of primary air conditioning — such as central air — and more than 1.4 million have secondary wall air conditioning. Plus, as many as 1.8 million residential homes in California have swimming pools. Should either of these break down, your blazing summer days will feel significantly hotter.
More than heat, many California residents worry about pests. The most common pests that plague California homes are ants, spiders and silverfish. If you pay an expert to remove these pests from your home, you will easily spend more than $400. Instead, invest in a home warranty that offers pest control services.
If you want to get the most out of your home warranty in California, find a plan that has good air conditioning coverage, swimming pool coverage and pest control services. There are many excellent home warranty providers in California, and each has its own strengths. Below is our list of the best companies we found for home warranty coverage in the Golden State.
- Best for First-time Homeowners: American Home Shield
- Best Value: Choice Home Warranty
- Most Affordable Service Fee: Select Home Warranty
- Most Customizable: Liberty Home Guard
- Best Standard Coverage: Home Service Club
Best for First-time Homeowners: American Home Shield
With more than 50 years of experience, American Home Shield (AHS) is among the best home warranty options for California homeowners. In addition to offering customizable plans, this company has an easy-to-use warranty service that covers major home systems and appliances and previously undetected damage.
Why We Chose American Home Shield as the Best for First-time Homeowners in California
American Home Shield offers three plans to suit your home budget and needs, especially if you are a first-time homebuyer in California who does not want any surprise breakdowns and repairs after you move in.
AHS is a great choice for California homeowners because it includes unlimited air conditioning coverage. Under all three warranty plans, you will get complete coverage to fix your broken A/C unit, which saves you an average of $3,800. American Home Shield also offers some of the highest roof leak coverage at an annual maximum of $1,500. The ShieldPlatinum™ plan includes roof leak coverage at no additional cost, or you can add it to the ShieldGold™ and ShieldSilver™ plans.
American Home Shield is our top choice for new homeowners because its coverage plans include any pre-existing conditions or issues not previously identified by a visual or mechanical test. So if you notice existing damage to your new home’s systems or appliances during your warranty period, American Home Shield will cover the cost of a repair or replacement.
Plans, Pricing & Coverage Options
American Home Shield offers three warranty plans: ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™ and ShieldPlatinum™. We describe each plan in more detail below, which includes the most expensive $125 service fee, but you can also opt for a $75 or $100 fee for an additional monthly cost.
- ShieldSilver™ (starting at $49.99/mo): Perfect if you’re a California homeowner who wants to protect the basic systems in your home. This plan covers your heating, cooling, electrical and plumbing systems. It does not include home appliances, but you can add protection for electronics, pools and spas, roof leaks and more
- ShieldGold™ (starting at $69.99/mo): Ideal for homeowners who want to cover every major home system and appliance. It includes 23 major household appliances and systems, including heating, cooling, electrical and plumbing. This plan also adds kitchen appliances, and washer and dryer coverage
- ShieldPlatinum™ (starting at $99.99/mo): This may be the most expensive plan available, but it covers all 23 major household systems and appliances. Plus, it includes roof leak coverage at no extra cost and one HVAC tune-up
In addition to your home’s main appliances and built-in systems, you can add 11 additional items to your American Home Shield warranty plan. Add-on options include roof leak repair, pools, spas, guest apartments and more.
Roof leak protection is one of the most popular add-ons among American Home Shield customers. This additional coverage offsets the cost of repairing or replacing your roof if it becomes vulnerable due to normal wear and tear or has rotted.
For California residents, pool and spa coverage may be at the top of your add-ons list. You can have your pool or spa covered under warranty for an additional $24.99 per month.
Exclusions and Coverage Limits
As with all top warranty providers, American Home Shield has exclusions and coverage caps, which are as follows:
- If you have ShieldSilver™, your plan does not provide appliance coverage
- If you have ShieldGold™, you have a coverage limit of $3,000 per appliance
- If you have ShieldPlatinum™, you have a coverage limit of $6,000 per appliance
If your major household systems or appliances fail due to improper use, poor installation or lack of maintenance, you may not be eligible for warranty coverage. Therefore, report any problems immediately and keep a maintenance log to ensure you get the coverage you need if any issues arise.
Read our full home warranty review of American Home Shield here.
Best Value: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is not only a leader in the home warranty industry but has helped more than 1,650,000 homeowners in the U.S. handle more than 5 million claims. With an affordable home warranty and excellent service, this company is a great choice for California homeowners.
Why We Chose Choice Home Warranty as the Best Value in California
The purpose of a home warranty is to save you money if a system or appliance in your house fails, so home warranty cost is likely to be an important factor when choosing a provider. Choice Home Warranty’s protection plans start at just $46.84 per month and offer some of the most affordable additional benefits. So if you want comprehensive protection for all the systems and appliances in your home at the best price, Choice Home Warranty is the provider for you.
In California, air conditioning can be a lifesaver during the state’s 100-degree summer days, so you’ll want excellent coverage for this system. Choice Home Warranty offers decent air conditioning coverage with a limit of $3,000 per contract term, but only if you choose the Total Plan. Because most homeowners pay between $400 and $900 to repair their air conditioning system, a warranty with Choice should be sufficient.
Choice Home Warranty also offers additional pool and spa coverage for $15 per month. If your pool and spa use the same equipment, you only need to pay one monthly fee to cover both. But if each of your systems is on different equipment, you’ll have to pay for separate coverage.
Choice offers limited roof leak protection with a coverage cap of up to $500. This coverage does not apply if your roof needs a partial or complete replacement, so if you live in an area of California that experiences rain, this may not be the home warranty for you.
Another reason Choice Home Warranty offers the best value is its standard $85 service call fee. Instead of tiered fees that some home warranty companies offer, Choice Home Warranty always charges the same rate per claim, meaning you won’t have to worry about unexpected costs.
Plans, Pricing & Coverage Options
Choice Home Warranty offers two coverage options that include either basic or comprehensive protection. The monthly costs do not differ by much — about 25 cents a day total, to be exact — so it might be worth considering the Total Plan.
- Basic Plan (starting at $46.84/mo): This plan is perfect for homeowners who have a second home in California. Warranty coverage includes your heating system, electrical system, plumbing system, plumbing stoppage, water heater, Whirlpool bathtub, oven/cooktop, dishwasher, built-in microwave, garbage disposal, ductwork, garage door opener and ceiling/exhaust fans
- Total Plan (starting at $54.75/mo): If you want full coverage for nearly every major system in your home, then this is the plan for you. It includes the same systems and appliances as in the Basic Plan with the addition of your clothes dryer, clothes washer, refrigerator and air conditioner
Both the Basic Plan and the Total Plan cover your major systems and appliances, but some homeowners may want additional coverage for other systems. Choice Home Warranty offers 12 additional coverages, such as roof leak repairs, stand-alone freezers and a second refrigerator.
For $15 per month, you can also add your home's pool or hot tub. Choice Home Warranty offers some of the most affordable pool and spa coverage on the market, making it an excellent choice for California homeowners looking to cover these items.
Exclusions and Coverage Limits
Any item insured under either the Basic Plan or the Total Plan is covered up to $3,000. This high coverage cap ensures that almost all major repairs are covered if something breaks in your home.
If you choose to add additional coverage, your service contract will state what the coverage amount is for those services. You will probably see $250 for septic tank pumping and $500 for the other additional items.
Get a free quote or read our full home warranty review of Choice Home Warranty here.
Home Warranty Resources
- What is a Home Warranty?
- How Much Do Home Warranties Cost?
- Is a Home Warranty Worth It for You?
- Best Home Warranties in 2023
- Do Your Appliances Need Extended Warranties?
Most Affordable Service Fee: Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty offers affordable and complete home warranty services for your home. If you need a service technician, the claims process is simple and the service call fee is low.
Why We Chose Select Home Warranty as the Most Affordable Service Fee in California
When a system or appliance breaks, the last thing you want to do is pay an expensive service fee to have a technician come to your home. Many home warranty companies offer service fees of around $100 per call, but Select's service fee of $65 to $75 is hard to beat.
Select Home Warranty only covers central air conditioning systems, so it may not be the best choice If you have wall or window air conditioning units. But if you do have central air and heat, Select should be at the top of your list. It offers up to $3,000 in coverage for each system, which is much higher than some of our other providers.
In addition, Select Home Warranty offers some of the most affordable additional services — you can cover your pool and spa for $8.33 per month and $5.83 per month, respectively. This home warranty coverage is incredibly affordable for California residents, so if you plan on including your pool or spa, Select is the way to go.
Plans, Pricing & Coverage Options
Unlike other home warranties that require you to pay up to $125 per service call, with Select Home Warranty, you pay only $65 to $75. Even though Select Home Warranty’s monthly plan fee is more expensive than many other home warranty providers, the low cost of service is worth it. Plan options include:
- Gold Care (starting at $60.42/mo): Best for Californians who want only their systems covered, this plan includes your HVAC, plumbing system, electrical system, water heater and ductwork
- Bronze Care (starting at $60.42/mo): If you have a second home in California and only want to cover your major appliances, then this is the plan for you. It covers your clothes washer and dryer, garbage disposal, refrigerator, stove/oven, built-in microwave, cooktop and dishwasher
- Platinum Care (starting at $63.75/mo): This plan is best for California residents who want everything in their home covered. It includes all the systems and appliances in the Gold Care and Bronze Care plans
Select Home Warranty may have higher monthly costs, but its add-ons are among the most affordable in the industry. At just $3.33 to $8.33 per month per household item, you can cover your pool, spa, well pump, sump pump, septic system pump, stand-alone freezer and more.
Exclusions and Coverage Limits
If the damage done to your home system or appliance is covered under your home insurance policy or manufacturer's warranty, then it will not be covered under your Select Home Warranty plan. Additionally, Select Home Warranty will not cover damage due to human error, natural disaster or any issues not caused by normal wear and tear.
Read our full home warranty review of Select Home Warranty here.
Most Customizable: Liberty Home Guard
If you want customizable warranty coverage, then Liberty Home Guard is the obvious choice. This warranty service provider has more than 34 add-on options that ensure every important item in your home is covered.
Why We Chose Liberty Home Guard as the Most Customizable in California
Many homes in California have a pool or hot tub, which are usually not covered by basic home protection. But with Liberty Home Guard, you can include your pool, saltwater pool and hot tub as part of your comprehensive warranty plan. So if you want a warranty with a combined $19.99 per month pool and spa coverage to help you keep cool in California’s warm summers, you should consider Liberty Home Guard.
To give you peace of mind that your air conditioner will work during California’s hot summer days, Liberty offers up to $2,000 in warranty coverage for this system. Not all home warranty companies cover window or wall air conditioning units, but a Liberty warranty will cover up to two of your window units.
Liberty Home Guard is one of the few home warranty companies to offer pest control as an add-on. Because pesky pests can be a problem for any Californian, this $14.99 per month add-on is well worth the cost and can save you hundreds of dollars in pest control interventions. Under this additional coverage, you’ll get pest control services for ants, cockroaches, silverfish, moths, spiders, scorpions, centipedes, millipedes, earwigs, crickets and wasps.
Not only does Liberty Home Guard offer extensive insurance coverage, but they also have an excellent reputation as a company. With a 4.7-star rating on Google Reviews and an A- rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), you can consider this company trustworthy.
Plans, Pricing & Coverage Options
Liberty Home Guard has three plans: Appliance Guard, Systems Guard and Total Home Guard. At less than $60 per plan, you can get complete coverage for less than $2 per day.
- Appliance Guard (starting at $49.99/mo): This plan is a good alternative if you are a property owner or only visit California for the winter. It covers your clothes dryer, refrigerator, built-in microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal, range/oven/cooktop, ceiling fans, exhaust fans and garage door openers
- Systems Guard (starting at $54.99/mo): If you don’t have many appliances, then you may choose this plan to cover your home’s major systems, including heating, ductwork, plumbing, electrical and water heaters
- Total Home Guard (starting at $59.99/mo): If you are a full-time California resident, then this plan is for you. It includes everything covered by the Appliance Guard and Systems Guard plans
Liberty Home Guard is your best option for add-on coverage. As the top warranty company for add-ons, you can cover almost everything in your home, including your ice maker, sprinkler system, trash compactor, central vacuum and instant hot water dispenser.
Liberty Home Guard offers home warranty protection for 34 additional items, including pest control. For as little as $14.99 per month, you can get coverage for pest control protection, which is often necessary for California homeowners.
Exclusions and Coverage Limits
Your systems and appliances will not be covered under your Liberty Home Guard warranty if the damage is caused by human error, natural disaster or lack of maintenance. Coverage caps also depend on your service contract and the covered item.
Read our full home warranty review of Liberty Home Guard here.
Best Standard Coverage: Home Service Club
Since 2009, Home Service Club has been helping homeowners across the country protect their most critical systems and appliances. The company has an excellent reputation among California homeowners, primarily because of its short 10-day wait time.
Why We Chose Home Service Club as the Best Standard Coverage in California
The Home Service Club warranties offer some of the best coverage — even the standard plan includes more than most comprehensive coverages offered by other home warranty companies. Instead of opting for a handful of additional benefits, we recommend you choose the comprehensive coverage plan because it includes services commonly offered as add-ons, including up to $500 per contract term for pool and spa coverage.
Home Service Club is an excellent choice for Californians because the comprehensive package includes pest control services. You will get up to $500 in coverage each contract term for roaches, ants, silverfish, black widow spiders, earwigs, brown recluse spiders, millipedes, mice-crickets, ground beetles and more.
The Home Service Club covers up to $2,000 in repairs for both your heating and cooling systems, another reason this provider is a good choice for California homeowners. If you have wall air conditioning units, then the Home Service Club is one of your best options because it covers up to three units.
This provider also has some of the best roof leak protection around and will cover up to $2,000 per 12-month contract term. Even though the maximum amount you can get per claim is $200, this is still higher than any other warranty provider on our list.
The Home Service Club offers a warranty with excellent coverage, but many California homeowners also appreciate the short 10-day waiting period and no inspection requirements. If you need quick coverage, this is the warranty company for you.
Read our full home warranty review of the Home Service Club here.
Plans, Pricing & Coverage Options
Offering some of the most comprehensive coverage around, you will not be disappointed with a warranty plan from the Home Service Club. Plan options include:
- Standard Coverage (starting at $50.41/mo): Ideal for Californians who want all their basic home systems and appliances covered at a good price. Coverage includes kitchen appliances, clothes washers and dryers, HVAC systems, electrical systems, plumbing systems and water leaks
- Comprehensive Coverage (starting at $62.91/mo): If you want to cover additional items without paying high monthly add-on rates, then choose this plan. Coverage includes everything in the Standard Coverage plan plus ductwork, gas leaks, sump pumps, fans, instant hot/cold water dispensers, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppage coverage and more
Although many additional items are already included in the above warranty plans, you can also add 13 more, such as your pool, spa and water softener. Home Service Club charges an annual fee for add-ons, but the cost to cover your pool or spa comes to around $16.00 per month.
Exclusions and Coverage Limits
Each element of your warranty service contract has its own coverage limit. For example, the coverage limit for a refrigerator might be $750 per contract term, but your heating system may differ. Although Home Service Club’s coverage amounts are lower than other home warranty providers, the sheer number of items covered makes this company worthwhile.
Check out our full home warranty review of Home Service Club here.
So, What is the Best Home Warranty for Your California Home?
Because everyone's home needs are different, there is no single home warranty company or plan that we universally recommend. Instead, several leading companies provide excellent service that could all be contenders for your home warranty.
In California, you should choose a home warranty that also covers your pool and spa. If either break, it can be expensive to repair, so a home warranty service can provide you with comforting peace of mind.
If you want the most comprehensive coverage and additional benefits, we recommend Liberty Home Guard or Home Service Club. Both companies offer extensive warranty coverage at a good price. In addition, you can purchase pest control and pool and spa coverage from both.
Choice Home Warranty or Select Home Warranty are excellent options if you are primarily interested in a low monthly rate. Both companies have competitive monthly rates and service call charges, so they are equally good deals.
Home warranties are not just for your primary residence. If you have a second home or vacation rental in California, you should choose a home warranty like Liberty Home Guard or Home Service Club to protect your home systems and appliances while you are away. That way, you will not have to pay thousands of dollars to replace these important items in your home when you come to visit.
FAQ: Best Home Warranties in California
What is the average cost of a home warranty in California?
The national average cost of home warranties is about $50 per month. Some home warranty plans in California cost less — about $45 per month — whereas high-tier plans can cost $60 or more per month.
Are home warranties worth it in California?
Home warranties are worth it in California because an investment of less than $60 per month can save you thousands of dollars over time. However, it may be more worthwhile to purchase an appliance warranty only, as you may not need to cover everything included in a comprehensive warranty, especially if you don't have or use a heating system.
Can I still get warranty coverage for my California home if I live in another state?
Yes. You can take out a home warranty on a home in California, even if you live in another state. Similar to how you must purchase homeowners insurance for each of your homes, you can purchase a home warranty for each of your homes.
For example, if you live in Nevada but have a beach house in Santa Monica, you can purchase a home warranty for each home.
Methodology: How We Rank Home Warranty Companies
At Today’s Homeowner, we strive to bring you the most transparent, accurate information for your home improvement projects. Our home warranty company ratings emphasize what matters most to you — whether you’re looking for low-cost coverage, a hassle-free repair process, 24/7 assistance, or all of the above.
Our ratings are based on publicly available information about each company, secret shopping online and over the phone, customer-review analysis, and discussions with real estate professionals and repair contractors.
A company can earn a maximum of 100 points across six categories converted to a five-star scale. We researched more than 60 home warranty providers to develop the following formula:
- Plans and Coverage (24 points): A home warranty provider can earn the maximum point value in this category if it offers multiple robust plans that cover all basic systems and appliances and optional add-on coverage. We give bonus points to companies that cover uncommon items, such as electronics and roof leaks.
- Affordability (22.5 points): When evaluating costs, we not only consider monthly plan prices, but we also take into account the cost of add-on coverage, service fees, and whether companies offer free cancellation periods or money-back guarantees. If a provider allows potential customers to view sample contracts before getting a quote, that transparency earns more points in this category.
- Customer Experience (18.5 points): A home warranty company must give its customers ample support when they experience issues. We gauge overall support by looking at customer reviews and conducting homeowner surveys. We also go through the quotes process with each company and take meticulous notes about the friendliness of salespeople, how detailed each quote is, and how often the provider contacts us after giving a quote.
- Company Reputation (17.5 points): In this category, we look at a combination of customer reviews and reputable organizations such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB). We also consider the years of company experience, how satisfied its employees are, and whether it has been hit with any consumer rights violations or lawsuits.
- Claims Process (12.5 points): We score providers highly when they offer short response times, multiple ways to file claims, and around-the-clock availability. Companies can earn bonus points if they have a good reputation for quick and easy claims processing.
- Availability (5 points): Providers that serve more areas can have experience dealing with a wider range of homeowner headaches. A company earns the maximum points in this category if it offers services in most U.S. states.
We monitor company data on an ongoing basis to keep rankings and information up to date.
Find the Best Home Warranty Providers in Other States
|New Jersey||New York||North Carolina||Ohio|
Other Great Resources