America’s First Choice Home Club (AFC Home Club) is a nationwide home warranty coverage provider. AFC Home Club offers inclusive plan choices and several benefits not found with other providers, including lifetime guarantees on all work performed and service within 48 hours of making your request.
The team at Today’s Homeowner has reviewed dozens of providers across the country to recommend the best home warranty companies to our readers. Learn everything you need to know about AFC Home Club’s plans to determine if this provider is right for your property.
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
Our Review of America’s First Choice Home Club
Total Score: 85 / 100 points
AFC Home Club offers affordable home warranty coverage with monthly premiums well below the national average. So, if you want supplemental coverage for your insurance but are on a budget, AFC is the home warranty provider for you. The company’s plans include a $3,000 coverage limit per membership term that virtually guarantees you won’t have to pay more than AFC’s service call fee when you need home service.
AFC Home Club allows you to choose your own technician, so you can choose the company you trust the most instead of just any contractor. You’ll also get lifetime guarantees on the work technicians provide for as long as you’re a plan member, which means that once your home system has been fixed, you won’t have to worry about it again. Most home warranty companies have 30- to 90-day guarantees, so this perk sets AFC apart from the rest.
Plans and Coverage of AFC Home Club
Score: 22 / 24 points
AFC Home Club’s comprehensive plans cover all the items you’ll find in most other home warranty plans. Most home warranty providers only offer three plans, but AFC lets you choose one of four plans that best meets your needs and budget. Plus, the Platinum Plan offers some of the most comprehensive coverage, as it covers all components and parts of each appliance. If you need to customize your plan further, AFC offers a series of add-on choices for items like electronics, pools, and spas.
Only AFC’s most expensive plan — the Platinum Plan — covers plumbing stoppages. While more affordable plan choices cover the structure of the plumbing system itself, you’ll need to buy the Platinum Plan to extend coverage to the toilet, sink, and pipe blockages. Common plumbing issues like stoppages are typically included with most other systems plans, as are whirlpool bathtubs, which are also not covered by any AFC plan.
Affordability of AFC Home Club
Score: 20.5 / 22.5 points
AFC Home Club’s plans cost between $38 and $62 per month, with discounts available for annual subscribers. These fees are slightly lower than the industry average of $50, so if you want warranty coverage but don’t want to overpay, AFC is your provider. You can choose your flat service call fee of either $75, $100, or $125, which gives you more opportunities to customize your monthly premium to fit your needs.
AFC Home Club offers a wide selection of plans, making them more valuable. Additionally, AFC Home Club’s plans include an upper coverage limit of $3,000, with overall policy limits as high as $10,000 annually, which is robust compared to other home warranty plans with coverage limits of less than $1,500 per item.
While most appliances on AFC Home Club’s plans include a $3,000 individual limit, some items include lower coverages of $150 to $1,000. For example, plans only include a maximum of $500 for your plumbing system, whereas other providers cover up to $1,000 or more. Review these limitations with one of AFC’s sample contracts before you buy.
In addition, the adjustable service fee comes at a price. If you want to pay less out of pocket when submitting a claim, you’ll pay more monthly. For instance, the Platinum Plan would cost you $53 per month if you choose the $125 service call fee but will cost $62 per month if you opt for the $75 service fee.
Customer Experience of AFC Home Club
Score: 17 / 18.5 points
AFC Home Club’s application process is straightforward. Most homeowners can sign onto a policy with just a few clicks and easily find a sample contract for each of the four plans. Most home warranty providers only have one sample contract, but AFC has a sample contract for each plan level, which makes plan comparison much easier and more transparent.
AFC also makes comparing plan options a snap with tables and clearly labeled add-ons. Once you fill out the online form, you can easily compare plan options, add additional coverage, and customize your service fee. Unlike other providers that will call you close to a dozen times within 24 hours, AFC did not reach out excessively after we requested a quote.
AFC Home Club institutes a 30-day waiting period on its policies, which is typical in the home warranty industry. Some customers complained that the company did not provide enough compensation for replacements on some items, which means these customers did have to pay out of pocket when they filed a claim.
AFC also has a 48-hour response time, an industry standard. However, other providers have short 24-hour response times that get a service technician to your door even faster.
Company Reputation of AFC Home Club
Score: 12.5 / 17 points
AFC Home Club has more than 10 years of experience in the home warranty industry, meaning it has the infrastructure to service claims in 48 hours or less. AFC Home Club has no active lawsuits and has a B rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). We consider it a reputable home warranty company compared to others with active lawsuits and F ratings.
AFC is poorly reviewed online, but so are most other home warranty companies. It has a 2.3-star rating out of five on the third-party review platform Trustpilot and Google reviewers gave the company a 3.7-star rating. These star ratings are industry average.
Claims Process of AFC Home Club
Score: 8 / 12.5 points
AFC Home Club allows you to file a claim over the phone or online, and it accepts claims 24 hours a day and seven days a week. Its lifetime service guarantee sets AFC apart from other home warranty companies. If you file a claim and AFC sends a service technician to fix your home system or appliance, that work will be covered throughout the entire lifespan of your contract. If that system or appliance fails again, AFC will send someone out to repair it at no extra cost. This coverage is exceptional compared to the 30-day or 90-day service guarantees we commonly see.
Most home warranty companies have emergency services, but AFC does not currently offer this service. If you need immediate home service or service on any nationally-recognized holidays, you can’t get home warranty coverage from AFC. Further, you will be responsible for extra charges if you request service after business hours.
Availability of AFC Home Club
Score: 5 / 5 points
AFC Home Club is a nationwide company providing policies in 48 states. Most home warranty companies cover at least 45 states, so AFC fits right in. Like all home warranty providers, plan availability and pricing may vary by location. So, get an online quote for the most accurate cost estimate.
AFC Home Club is not available in Hawaii or California, so if you live in either of these states, you will have to go with a different home warranty provider. There are other home warranty providers in Hawaii and other home warranties in California if you live in either of these states.
AFC Home Club Plans and Coverage Options
AFC Home Club offers four unique plan choices, twice the number as some competitors. These four plans — System, Silver, Gold, and Platinum — are systems-only, appliance-only, or combo plans that cover between six and 18 home systems and appliances.
- System Plan: Perfect if you have new appliances or just want your systems covered, the System Plan covers six major home systems, including heating systems, air conditioning, electrical systems, plumbing systems, and ductwork.
- Silver Plan: The Silver Plan covers nine major home appliances, such as your laundry machines, refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and garage door opener. The Silver Plan is AFC Home Club’s lowest-priced plan and is best if you’re on a budget or have newer heating and cooling systems.
- Gold Plan: The Gold Plan covers each appliance and system covered on both the Silver and System Plans for one low price. If you want every important system and appliance in your home covered and want to pay less than $2 for coverage, this is the plan for you.
- Platinum Plan: The all-inclusive plan includes coverage for everything in the Gold Plan — plus a few extra home components. For example, the Platinum Plan includes coverage for an ice maker and a built-in microwave, which are not covered under the Gold Plan. If you want comprehensive coverage, this plan is the best for you.
When you purchase home warranty coverage through AFC Home Club, you can be billed monthly or annually, with annual subscribers receiving a discount. Like many other home warranty providers, AFC Home Club saves you on premiums by choosing a higher per-visit service call fee.
To help you get a better idea of what you might pay for an AFC Home Club home warranty, we requested a series of quotes for a home in North Carolina. Review the tables below to understand what a plan might cost — but note that specific pricing varies by area.
|Service Fee||Systems Plan||Silver Plan||Gold Plan||Platinum Plan|
|Service Fee||Systems Plan||Silver Plan||Gold Plan||Platinum Plan|
Quotes listed in the tables above were collected on 2/2/2023 for a single-family residence in Raleigh, N.C., on a one-year contract term. Be sure to claim your free quote to learn more about pricing in your state or area.
Learn exactly what’s covered in each plan using the table below.
What Optional Add-ons Does AFC Home Club Offer?
AFC allows customers to personalize their policies with optional add-ons. Each add-on includes an additional premium, ranging between $25 and $300 per year. You can currently add coverage for the following additional home components with AFC:
|Add-on Choice||Price (per year)|
|Hot water dispenser||$25|
|In-ground pool and spa||$150|
Does AFC Home Club Have Any Exclusions?
Like all home warranty providers, AFC Home Club’s plans include exclusions on covered items. Some notable exclusions on AFC Home Club’s plans include the following:
- Air conditioning and HVAC/heating systems: AFC does not cover oil-based air conditioning units, chiller units, window units, or other portable systems. All plans exclude several components, including roof jacks, flues, and vents. Review a sample contract for a full list of excluded components.
- Cooktop, oven, and range: Plans do not include coverage for double ovens.
- Ductwork: Improperly sized and crushed ductwork are excluded from coverage.
- Electrical system: AFC’s plans do not cover low-voltage, DC, or circuit wiring systems. It also excludes several exterior components, including faceplates and switches. Damages incurred due to power outages are also not covered.
- Garage door openers: Plans do not cover damage to the door, track, or spring assemblies attached to your electric garage door opener.
- Plumbing stoppages: Plumbing stoppages caused by collapsed, frozen, or damaged roots are not covered.
- Plumbing system: AFC Home Club’s plans include exclusions on several types of damage you might incur to your plumbing system, including cracks and damage that requires camera snaking.
- Water heater: AFC does not cover solar water heaters, and several components are excluded — including valves and flues.
Additionally, all plans include a 30-day waiting period, during which policyholders will not be entitled to reimbursement of more than $150.
Does AFC Home Club Have Any Coverage Limits?
Every home warranty plan will include a series of coverage limits that put an upper cap on the total amount of money your warranty provider will offer you to fix an item. Most plans also include upper coverage limits that cap the total amount of money your warranty company is responsible for overall. You’ll pay the rest of your repair and replacement expenses out-of-pocket if you hit this limit.
AFC Home Club’s plans include an aggregate coverage cap of $3,000 per item per membership term for the access, diagnosis, replacement, and repair of most items included under each plan option. AFC’s sample contract also includes several clauses that place a lower limit on individual items, including the following:
|Covered item||Coverage limit per membership term|
|Garage door opener||$500|
AFC Home Club Customer Reviews
Reviews of AFC Home Club vary in content depending on the website you’re reviewing. The company maintains accreditation with the BBB, a third-party market watch group devoted to analyzing advertisements and keeping service companies honest. It also maintains a B rating from the BBB, indicating that customer reviews and sentiments from marketplace experts are overall positive.
Positive Reviews of AFC Home Club
Customers who recommended AFC’s home warranty plans complemented the company’s commitment to the terms of its service contracts. Multiple America’s First Choice Home Club home warranty review entries mention that AFC honored their terms without hassle and that their assigned service technician was knowledgeable and courteous.
“I was pleasantly surprised at the prompt and courteous resolution to a claim I submitted to AFC, a complete opposite to our previous policy from another company that was given to us by our realtor. AFC didn’t make excuses, they were very fair with the amount they reimbursed me. Highly recommend this company for peace of mind.”— PATRICIA P., 04/26/2022.
“Quick turnaround on handling claims, picked my own service tech, excellent customer service.”— CHUCK O., 03/31/2022.
Negative Reviews of AFC Home Club
Customers who were unsatisfied with their AFC Home Club coverage regularly complained about depreciated estimates. Some customers claimed that though the fine print on their contract did specify that they may receive a depreciated system coverage reimbursement in the event of a total replacement, their settlement was exceptionally low.
“My air conditioning unit went out and it cost $3,000.00 to replace. AFC gave me $400.00 and told me that the unit was only worth that after depreciation…”— PAUL D., 12/30/2022.
AFC Home Club vs. Other Home Warranty Companies
AFC Home Club is far from the only home warranty provider in the country. Before you make your choice, consider the following additional options.
|Provider||Best For||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||BBB Rating||Year Founded||Company Reviews|
|AFC Home Club||Additional Benefits||$30 – $50||$75, $100, or $125||B||2009||[This provider]|
|Liberty Home Guard||Customization||$50 – $70||$65 – $125||A+||2017||Read our review of Liberty Home Guard|
|Select Home Warranty||Value||$60 – $64||$85||B-||2012||Read our review of Select Home Warranty|
|American Home Shield||Coverage Limits||$50 – $100||$75, $100, $125||B||1971||Read our review of American Home Shield|
|Choice Home Warranty||Claim Acceptance Rate||$47 – $55||$85||F||2008||Read our review of Choice Home Warranty|
|Cinch Home Services||Preventative Maintenance Benefits||$28 – $68||$100, $125, or $150||B||1978||Read our review of Cinch Home Services|
|2-10 Home Buyers Warranty||Workmanship Guarantee||$17 – $60||$65, $85, or $100||B+||1983||Read our review of 2-10 Home Warranty|
|First American Home Warranty||Appliance Coverage||$36 – $47||$75 – $100||B||1984||Read our review of First American Home Warranty|
* BBB ratings are accurate as of March 2023.
How to File a Claim With AFC Home Club
AFC Home Club makes it easy to file a claim when you need someone to fix your air conditioner, refrigerator, or any other home system or appliance. Within 24 hours of your claim submission, you will receive confirmation that a technician will be dispatched to your home. Follow these easy steps to get started:
- Request service online or by phone. You can file a claim with AFC Home Club online or by calling 1-866-242-0629.
- Document the damage while you wait for AFC Home Club to schedule an appointment with a technician to provide you with a repair or replacement.
- Be home during your appointment and pay your service call fee. Service call fees with AFC range from $75 to $125, which is average in the home warranty industry.
- AFC Home Club covers the remainder of the cost, allowing you to enjoy a more affordable fix.
Frequently Asked Questions About AFC Home Club
Does AFC Home Club cover roof leaks?
AFC Home Club offers limited protections for roof leaks as an optional coverage up to $250.
Does AFC HomeClub cover water heaters?
Yes, multiple AFC Home Club plans cover water heaters — up to $1,000 annually.
Does AFC Home Club cover garage doors?
While some of AFC Home Club’s plans cover garage door openers, damage to the door itself is not covered under any plan.
Is an AFC Home Club warranty transferable?
Yes, AFC Home Club plans can be transferred to a new homeowner who buys your property for no additional charge.
Do I need a home inspection before getting AFC Home Club?
No, you are not required to get a home inspection from AFC Home Club before enrolling in coverage. However, you may be required to provide maintenance records before having a claim approved to ensure that misuse did not cause the breakdown.
Methodology: How We Rank Home Warranty Companies
At Today’s Homeowner, we strive to bring you the most transparent, accurate information for your home improvement projects. Our home warranty company ratings emphasize what matters most to you — whether you’re looking for low-cost coverage, a hassle-free repair process, 24/7 assistance, or all of the above.
Our ratings are based on publicly available information about each company, secret shopping online and over the phone, customer-review analysis, and discussions with real estate professionals and repair contractors.
A company can earn a maximum of 100 points across six categories converted to a five-star scale. We researched more than 60 home warranty providers to develop the following formula:
- Plans and Coverage (24 points): A home warranty provider can score highest in this category if it offers multiple robust plans that cover all basic systems and equipment, as well as optional add-ons. We examine each company's exclusions and limitations to determine the coverage amounts for each item. Companies with coverage limits of $3,000 or more perform best in this category, and bonus points go to companies that cover unusual items such as electronics and leaky roofs.
- Affordability (22.5 points): When evaluating costs, we not only consider monthly plan prices, but we also take into account the cost of add-on coverage, service fees, and whether companies offer free cancellation periods or money-back guarantees. If a provider allows potential customers to view sample contracts before getting a quote, that transparency earns more points in this category.
- Customer Experience (18.5 points): A home warranty company must give its customers ample support when they experience issues. We gauge overall support by looking at customer reviews and conducting homeowner surveys. We also go through the quotes process with each company and take meticulous notes about the friendliness of salespeople, how detailed each quote is, and how often the provider contacts us after giving a quote.
- Company Reputation (17.5 points): In this category, we look at a combination of customer reviews and reputable organizations such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB). We also consider the years of company experience, how satisfied its employees are, and whether it has been hit with any consumer rights violations or lawsuits.
- Claims Process (12.5 points): We score providers highly when they offer short response times, multiple ways to file claims, and around-the-clock availability. Companies can earn bonus points if they have a good reputation for quick and easy claims processing.
- Availability (5 points): Providers that serve more areas can have experience dealing with a wider range of homeowner headaches. A company earns the maximum points in this category if it offers services in most U.S. states.
We monitor company data on an ongoing basis to keep rankings and information up to date.