Living in New Mexico means access to warm weather and lots of history and culture. New Mexico homeowners love the availability of fair housing prices, beautiful landscapes, and the ability to be outside for so much of the year. However, like homeownership in any state, New Mexico homeownership comes with some negatives as well. In our guide featuring the best home warranty companies in New Mexico, we will show you how to choose a home warranty, why a home warranty plan is a smart choice for your New Mexico home, and which home warranty plans are the best on the market.
A home warranty is a plan that will protect homeowners from large expenses related to system and appliance repair. In New Mexico, the warm weather can do some wear and tear to your home systems and appliances. Finding the best home warranty companies on the market can be difficult because of the number of companies available to choose from. Keep reading if you need some help!
New Mexico’s Best Home Warranty Companies in 2023
Compare the Best Home Warranty Companies New Mexico
The table below outlines data for the best home warranty companies in New Mexico and across the U.S. We constantly update these ratings as companies change their policies and prices to give you the most accurate information possible. Continue reading in-depth reviews of several top providers.
49 states, excluding WA
47 states, excluding NV, WA, and WI
47 states, excluding NV, WA, and WI
49 states, excluding HI
48 states, excluding AK and HI
42 states, excluding AK, HI, MT, NH, ND, OK, SD, and WY
34 states, excluding AK, CT, DE, HI, IL, LA, ME, MA, MN, NH, NJ, NY, ND, RI, VT, and WI
*Quote and cost data gathered January 2023. Cost data are updated and monitored continuously.
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty in the state of New Mexico. The Choice Home Warranty plan has been on the market for 13 years and has plenty of experience in the New Mexico area. One of the things that stands out most about the Choice Home Warranty plan is its very simple and straightforward contract. If you are tired of fine print and hidden costs, the Choice Home Warranty will be a great relief. New Mexico homeowners are also impressed with the customer service that this plan offers.
- Our Take: Best Overall
- Average Annual Cost: [$550] – [$650]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
There are two Choice Home Warranty plans to choose from. Both the Basic Plan and the Comprehensive Plan are combo or comprehensive plans, so they have a combination of both system and appliance coverage. Many other companies charge a premium for a combo plan, so the Choice Home Warranty is a very fair value considering what it offers. In addition, there are add-on coverage options to help make plans even more comprehensive. The service fee for Choice Home Warranty is $85.
Here’s a detailed look at Choice Home Warranty’s coverage:
- Basic Plan ($42 per month): The Basic Plan from Choice Home Warranty covers 13 items, including plumbing system, ceiling fans, garbage disposal, heating system, cooktop exhaust fans, microwave, dishwasher, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener, oven, toilet, and water heater. The basic plan is a perfect mix of both system and appliance coverage without going over budget.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): The Total Plan is the more comprehensive plan and covers all 13 items in the Basic Plan, plus an additional four items. The Total Plan includes the clothes washer, dryer, refrigerator, and air conditioner coverage. The air conditioner coverage is very important for the New Mexico homeowner.
Choice Home Warranty has several add-on coverages that you can attach to either of its plans.
- Roof leak coverage (single family homes only)
- Central Vacuum
- Septic Tank
- Well Pump
- Spa (Can be combined with pool coverage if the equipment is shared)
- Sump Pump (must be permanently installed)
- Stand Alone Freezer
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is the most trustworthy home warranty in the state of New Mexico. If you want to ensure that your repair will be handled professionally and quickly, Liberty Home Guard is the company to choose. Although LHG has only been on the market for two years, they have managed to earn an A rating with the BBB. This is a very impressive distinction in a difficult industry. Customers are happy with the speed of service and the overall quality of the workers coming to make the repairs on their homes. There is no question that the Liberty Home Guard policy will be around for quite some time and continue to expand and grow.
- Our Take: Most Trustworthy
- Average Annual Cost: [$649] – [$749]
- Response Time: Within 24 hours
There are three Liberty Home Guard policies to choose from. You will probably notice that the Liberty Home Guard pricing is a bit higher than the other options on the market. However, the coverage is quite broad, and the customer service is considered very impressive. Even though you pay a little more, you will get more coverage. There is also a long list of add-on coverages that you can include with your policy, more than any other home warranty plan on the market.
Here’s a detailed look at Liberty Home Guard’s coverage:
- Appliance Guard ($64.99 per month): The Appliance Guard plan from Liberty Home Guard has coverage for 11 major appliances, including garage door opener, ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fan, oven, refrigerator, garbage disposal, dishwasher, microwave, clothes washer, clothes dryer, and refrigerator ice-maker.
- Systems Guard ($69.99 per month): The Systems Guard plan is a systems-only option with nine systems. These systems are the electrical system, air conditioner, bath exhaust fan, heating system, toilet, ductwork, plumbing and plumbing stoppages, and water heater.
- Total Home Guard ($74.99 per month): The Total Home Guard is the best value from LHG. Total Home Guard has more than 20 covered systems and appliances. If you want a plan that covers appliances and systems, the Total Home Guard is the best overall option.
Liberty Home Guard has one of the most extensive lists of add on coverages in the industry; these will include:
- Pool and spa
- Additional spa (Billed as an extra to the pool system)
- Saltwater pool
- Gutter cleaning
- Floor/carpet cleaning
- Sump pump
- Water softener
- Trash compactor
- Lawn sprinkler system (all mechanical parts)
- Electronics protection
- Swamp cooler
- Ejector pump
- Septic system pumping
- Limited roof leak
- Pest control
- Free-standing ice maker
- Central vacuum
- Stand-alone freezer
- Second refrigerator
- Wine refrigerator
- Well pump
- TV and PC
- Water dispenser
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is the most cost-effective home warranty plan for New Mexico homeowners. Choosing a home warranty is almost always going to require a homeowner to consider the plan’s pricing. Select Home Warranty makes it very clear that you will save money and gain some peace of mind by choosing this home warranty. With almost nine years of experience in the home warranty industry, Select Home Warranty is quite well respected for workmanship and the quality of the repair.
- Our Take: Most Cost Effective
- Average Annual Cost: [$579] – [$650]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
There are three Select Home Warranty plans. The three plans consist of a systems plan, an appliances plan, and a combo or comprehensive plan. With each of these plan choices, homeowners get free roof leak coverage included as part of their service contract. Having this additional coverage free of charge is something that should be considered when choosing the plan. Select Home Warranty has a very fair service fee of just $60.
Here’s a detailed look at Select Home Warranty’s coverage:
- Bronze Care ($52 per month): The Bronze Care plan is an appliance-only home warranty plan. This plan covers seven major appliances, including a refrigerator, built-in microwave, clothes washer and dryer, oven, garbage disposal, and cooktop. This is a budget friendly option that makes a good choice for a new homeowner.
- Gold Care ($52 per month): The Gold Care plan is a system-only plan from Select Home Warranty. There is coverage for six systems; plumbing, air conditioning, heating, water heaters, electrical systems, and ductwork.
- Platinum Care ($58 per month): The Platinum Care plan will include all of the appliances under the Bronze Care plan and all of the systems under the Gold Care Plan. For just a few extra dollars per month, the Platinum Care Plan is the plan that makes the most sense from a financial perspective. Having home appliances and major systems included in your covered items will greatly increase the value of the plan.
Select Home Warranty has several add-on coverages that you can attach to either of its plans; roof leak coverage is included without paying any extra.
- Central vacuums (Does not include clogged pipes)
- Lawn sprinkler systems
- Pools (Can combine with spa coverage if the equipment is shared)
- Stand alone freezers
- Sump pump (must be within the foundation of the home)
- Well pump
American Home Shield
American Home Shield is the most customizable plan in New Mexico. Having the ability to change the coverage and the plan’s pricing to work for your home is a substantial benefit of the American Home Shield policy. AHS has been on the market for more than 50 years. This is a very long time to be active in the home warranty industry. Even after all this time, customers still consider this the premium home warranty company option in New Mexico. Whether you are new to homeownership or have been around for several years, this is a policy that you can trust.
- Our Take: Best Customizable Plans
- Average Annual Cost: [$479] – [$779]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
There are three American Home Shield policies for New Mexico homeowners to choose from. The two combo or comprehensive plans are the most popular choices because of their excellent coverage options and the peace of mind they give customers. The American Home Shield policy also has add-on coverage options for New Mexico homeowners to choose from. If you are lucky enough to have a pool at your home, take a look at the pool systems coverage, as it can be very beneficial to have. The service fee from American Home Shield is customizable and will range from $75 to $125.
Here’s a detailed look at American Home Shield’s coverage:
- ShieldSilver™ ($39.99 per month): The ShieldSilver plan covers 14 home systems, including air conditioning, electrical system, smoke alarms, water heater, central vacuums, doorbells, garage door opener, heating system, garbage disposals, ceiling fans, doorbells, instant hot/cold water dispenser plumbing, and ductwork. Home systems typically have high replacement costs, and this is why higher coverage caps from AHS will be helpful.
- ShieldGold™ ($49.99 per month): ShieldGold is the combo plan covering both systems and appliances. There are 23 home systems and appliances on this plan. The ShieldGold plan has additional coverages, including a clothes washer, dishwasher, clothes dryer, microwave, oven, and refrigerator. The coverage caps and number of coverage items won’t be quite as good as they are with ShieldPlatinum, the premier plan from this service provider.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($64.99 per month): The ShieldPlatinum plan includes 27 systems and appliances. The combination of all coverages in the ShieldGold and ShieldSilver make this a really, really great home protection plan. Having home appliances and home systems under one plan will greatly improve your peace of mind as a homeowner.
American Home Shield also offers several add-on coverages for homeowners to consider.
- Septic system (first-year customers only, nonrenewable)
- TV (includes home theater system)
- Well pump coverage
Home Warranties in New Mexico Cities
How Much Does a Home Warranty in New Mexico Cost?
A New Mexico home warranty will cost about $685 per year. Depending on the size of your home, the kitchen appliances, laundry room appliances, or home systems you include, the overall cost of the home warranty will vary considerably. In addition, if you have a condo or townhouse, the New Mexico home warranty will also be a slightly different price. For homeowners on a budget, a home warranty with customizable pricing tends to be the best overall choice.
|Home Over 5,000 sq ft||$1,232.50|
|Home Under 5,000 sq ft||$649.74|
At this point, you should feel more confident in the home warranty decision that you need to make. Although any of the top four plans on our list could be a good choice for your New Mexico home, Choice Home Warranty stands out as the best overall option. Choice Home Warranty has been on the market for more than 13 years, and they are fair about the costs associated with the plan. It makes sense to get a few home warranty quotes to ensure that you get a plan that precisely fits your needs.
How to Choose the Best Home Warranty in New Mexico
At this point, you have the list narrowed down to the top four home warranties for New Mexico homeowners. Now we need to look at which of these home warranties will be best for your home. There are a few essential things to consider when trying to pick one policy from another. Three of the most important features to consider include monthly pricing, service fee, and the workmanship guarantee.
- Monthly Pricing: The price for a New Mexico home warranty ranges anywhere from $38 to $75 per month. The higher the price per month, the more coverage you will have. Always check the amount of coverage a plan is offering for the pricing.
- Service Fee: The service fee for a home warranty is the price you pay when you need a repair completed on your home. Service fees are typically going to range in price from $60 to $150.
- Workmanship Guarantee: When a repair is completed on a home, you will want to ensure that the repair holds up over time. Workmanship guarantees will last anywhere from 90 to 180 days, depending on the company you choose.
New Mexico can experience some hot and dry conditions. These conditions can cause issues with some of your home systems and appliances. Three things to look out for include the HVAC, ceiling fans, and plumbing issues. Let’s take a look at how a home warranty can help with maintenance problems around your home.
- HVAC: During the New Mexico summer, you will need an HVAC system in place. Cooling your home will be a must to keep it in great shape; however, the HVAC system is quite expensive to repair. With a home warranty in place, you will only pay for the service fee.
- Ceiling Fans: Ceiling fans may not seem like a difficult maintenance problem to have, yet most homeowners don’t have the skills or the tools to fix and replace ceiling fans on their own. This is a coverage you will end up using much more than you realize.
- Plumbing Issues: Any home with a plumbing issue needs an immediate fix. Many home warranty companies will allow you to schedule emergency service to have your problems taken care of at a much faster rate. Plumbing issues will no longer scare you with a home warranty in place.
What is a Home Warranty?
A home warranty is an optional purchase for homeowners that are looking for a bit of peace of mind regarding their home systems and appliances. The home warranty will cover issues that come up as a result of normal wear and tear. Some home warranty plans will also cover the replacement of certain home systems and appliances. The home warranty typically covers systems, appliances, and add on coverages. The add on coverages can include things like well pumps, septic systems, locksmiths or even central vacuums.
Home Warranty vs. Homeowners Insurance
A home warranty and home insurance are two completely different things. The homeowner’s insurance is in place to protect against things like hurricanes, fires, and other natural disasters that are entirely out of your control. However, homeowners insurance will not help you when your microwave control panel stops working.
Homeowners’ insurance policies don’t cover specific items like this, and they tend to have high deductibles. Home warranty plans specifically cover each individual home system or appliance in the home. Each individual coverage will have its own coverage cap.
How Does a Home Warranty in New Mexico Work?
A home warranty in New Mexico should be very simple to use when an issue comes up around the home. The first step in this process is to put together a home warranty plan with a well respected service provider in New Mexico. Once you have done your research and chosen your plan, here is the basic way that a home warranty will work.
- Decide on a home warranty policy that has the perfect amount of coverage for your home
- Wait 10-30 days before the home warranty will go into effect; during this time, cancellation is typically free
- If you experience trouble with a home system or appliance breakdown, check your policy documents to ensure that you have coverage
- Use the online portal system, a phone call, or a live chat to let a representative know about your home warranty-related issues
- Pay the service call fee, and a representative will come to your home to inspect the issue; expect this to happen within 24 to 48 hours after submitting a claim
- Once the issue is inspected, options for repair or replacement will be presented to homeowners; if the appliance or system can’t be repaired, the home warranty plan could offer replacement options
- Repair should happen within 24-72 hours, depending on parts needed and the schedule of the contractor or service technician
- If any issues occur with the repair within the free reservice period, simply let the home warranty provider know, and they will come back and repair the issue without having to pay a service fee
What does a Home Warranty Cover?
A home warranty plan will protect homeowners from unexpected expenses that come up with home systems and appliances. If you have an issue with your plumbing system, swimming pool, or your refrigerator, you can expect the home warranty coverage will likely cover it. Home warranty plans will only protect against normal wear, and typically repairs are covered regardless of the age of your appliances or systems.
In addition to repair costs, a home warranty will also cover replacement costs. If your three-year-old washing machine is damaged beyond repair, chances are your home warranty coverage will cover almost a full replacement for this appliance.
Normal wear happens to hall homeowners because of the use that these products get. We all need the oven, microwave, plumbing system, and electrical system throughout the course of a day. However, when these home systems and appliances start to break down, especially all at once, the costs can get out of control.
What is Not Covered by a Home Warranty?
Home warranty plans only protect against normal wear. If you don’t properly take care of your home appliance and systems, the repair technician that comes to your home will not approve the repair, and you will be out the cost of the service fee. There are several ways in which your home warranty claim can be denied. The most common exclusions from a home warranty plan are…
- Cosmetic issues
- Natural disasters
- Lack of maintenance and upkeep
- Intentional breakage
- Misuse of a system or appliance
Some home warranty plans will require an inspection before the start of the plan, and others will not. It can be in your best interest to have an inspection done before you start your plan. This will be a point of reference for you to show that your home systems and appliances were in good working condition before the start of the plan.
Biggest Complaints about Home Warranty Companies in New Mexico
Most home warranty customers in New Mexico are pleased with their home warranty plan and the money that it can save. Having to pay to repair an HVAC unit and a stovetop in the same month can help anyone see the value of having a home warranty plan. However, there are a few issues that you will see homeowners complain about when it comes to home warranty issues. These include . . .
- Service Technicians Showing Up Late: make sure that you stay in constant contact with your home warranty provider once you have filed a claim; you will want to stay on top of things so that your repairs are handled quickly and efficiently
- Failed Repairs: sometimes, a repair does not work the first time, and a service technician will have to come back out to the house; most home warranty plans will not charge another service fee for a failed repair
- Claim Denied: if it is found that your miss use of a home system or appliance or neglect of the basic maintenance has led to the issue, the claim will be denied; although this is frustrating, it can be avoided
Are Home Warranties Worth It?
A home warranty plan is worth it for those that are living in New Mexico. With the extreme temperatures that New Mexico homeowners can face, there are times when home systems and appliances will have a hard time keeping up. Things like your HVAC system may need more frequent repairs in an area like New Mexico.
Most companies will not come out to your home to inspect an issue without paying a fee. These fees can be anywhere from $50 to $200. Once they come to your home, the pricing to fix an appliance or system can be anywhere from $25 to $2500, depending on the issue. There will be no way to fix the issue, and it will need to be replaced.
Home warranties require a service fee to be paid initially, but they will typically range from $60 to $125. Once the service fee is paid for, the rest of the pair should be covered under the limits of the home warranty plan. At times this could mean that you end up with a brand new appliance or system for just $100.
For those new to homeownership, or on a strict budget and are not great at DIY repairs, the home warranty plan is well worth the expense.
Today’s Homeowner Home Warranty Ranking Methodology
At Today’s Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader. We’ve done the homework for you and have researched over 50 home warranty companies so you can have the information you need to make the best choice for your home.
Our team spent hours on the phone speaking to representatives from each home warranty company to get information right from the source. We also dug into the fine print on each company’s service agreement to ensure no detail was left out.
To make the most of our research, we developed an objective rating system to score each home warranty company based on the following criteria:
- Plans: Do they provide a variety of plan options? We looked at the number of plans each company offered and the flexibility of adjusting the plan.
- Prices: How reasonable are the monthly and service fees compared to the industry average? We compared the costs of each company to competitors.
- Coverage: How many items are covered in each plan? We looked at the number of items each company covers. We dig into all service contracts available to get all the details.
- Customer service: How is the customer experience when calling the providers? Based on our phone calls, we judged each company’s customer service.
- Trust: What do customers rate the company? We looked into what customers are saying about their experience with the company.
- Nationwide availability: How many states does the company cover? We found the number of states covered by each company.
- Unique perks: Does the company offer discounts or cover special items? We looked for perks offered by each company that set them apart from the competition.
See the best home warranty companies in your state
Additional New Mexico Home Warranty Resources