Texas homeowners can face extreme weather conditions ranging from 100-degree days in the summer to cold snowstorms in the winter. When these extreme conditions come knocking on your door, it’s important your home systems and appliances are in working order. Otherwise, you could find yourself in a stressful — not to mention expensive — situation.
If you are a homeowner in Texas, you’ll want to invest in a home warranty plan that has great air conditioning coverage and offers add-on coverage for both roof leak protection and swimming pools. A home warranty covers everything from your HVAC to built-in microwaves, which for less than $2 a day, can lead to some well-deserved peace of mind. Below is our list of leading home warranty providers in the Lone Star State.
What are the Best Home Warranty Companies in Texas?
American Home Shield
With more than 50 years of experience, American Home Shield (AHS) is a seasoned Texas home warranty provider. AHS operates in 48 states across the U.S. and has helped more than one million homeowners repair or replace their home systems and appliances.
If you are a new homeowner, you have probably heard about the rigors of home ownership. Instead of calling a landlord when something breaks in your home, you now have to figure out how to fix it yourself. Many first-time homebuyers avoid these headaches by purchasing a home warranty from American Home Shield. An American Home Shield warranty also covers undiscovered pre-existing conditions, so you’ll likely be covered if you buy a new home that turns out to have a faulty system.
Texas homeowners should consider American Home Shield because of the company’s unlimited systems coverage. Each of the company’s three warranty plans covers both air conditioners and heating systems, so you will have full systems coverage regardless of where you live in the Lone Star State.
In addition to saving you an average of $3,650 to $3,800 on HVAC system repairs, American Home Shield also provides excellent roof leak coverage. The company’s ShieldPlatinum™ plan automatically includes $1,500 in roof leak protection, and you can easily add roof leak coverage to your ShieldGold™ or ShieldSilver™ plans for an additional $10 per month. This protection will have your back should your rotting roof lead to water damage and is a worthwhile investment in Texas with the state’s severe weather conditions.
American Home Shield’s three warranty plan options include ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™ and ShieldPlatinum™. Covered items in each plan include:
- ShieldSilver™ (starting at $49.99/mo): Ideal for Texas homeowners who just want to cover basic home systems, including HVAC, electrical and plumbing. This plan does not include home appliances, but you can add protection for electronics, pools and spas, roof leaks and more
- ShieldGold™ (starting at $69.99/mo): This plan is a good choice for new homeowners who want near complete home protection. It covers 23 major household systems and appliances, including heating, cooling, electrical and plumbing. It also adds kitchen and laundry appliances coverage
- ShieldPlatinum™ (starting at $99.99/mo): If you want complete home warranty coverage, this is the plan for you. It may be the most expensive option available, but this plan covers all 23 major household systems and appliances, plus includes roof leakage protection and one HVAC tune-up
American Home Shield warranty plans cover your basic home appliances and systems, but you can add additional coverage for a monthly fee. AHS will cover 11 additional items, with the most important for Texans being pools, spas and roof leak protection.
Your American Home Shield warranty only covers damage caused by normal wear and tear so damage caused by human error, natural disaster or lack of maintenance is not covered.
As we mentioned above, the ShieldSilver™ plan does not cover appliances. However, the coverage limit for the ShieldGold™ plan is $2,000 per appliance and the limit for ShieldPlatinum™ is $4,000 per appliance.
Choice Home Warranty
More than 1,650,000 homeowners in the U.S. have placed their trust in Choice Home Warranty, and the more than 5 million claims settled are a testament to the company’s outstanding customer service. This affordable home warranty provider is perfect if you are a Texan who wants to protect your home but not break the bank.
Choice Home Warranty offers the best value for Texas homeowners because of its affordable protection plans and inexpensive add-ons. Both of Choice Home Warranty’s plans cost less than $55 per month, which means you can protect your most important systems and appliances for less than $2 per day.
Since Texas experiences severe weather conditions, we recommend spending an extra $5.83 per month for added roof leak protection. Plus, for as little as $15 per month, you can also purchase a warranty for your pool or spa. The downside of Choice Home Warranty, however, is you will have to choose the more expensive Total Plan if you want air conditioning coverage, as the Basic Plan only includes heating systems.
Choice Home Warranty has two warranty plan options available. Both plans are affordable and offer great coverage to protect your home systems and appliances.
- Basic Plan (starting at $46.84/mo): If you want great system and appliance coverage that costs less than the national average, this is the plan for you. This plan covers your heating system, electrical system, plumbing system, plumbing stoppage, water heater, Whirlpool bathtub, oven/cooktop, dishwasher, built-in microwave, garbage disposal, ductwork, garage door opener and ceiling/exhaust fans
- Total Plan (starting at $54.75/mo): This plan is best for Texans that want full home warranty coverage. It includes the systems and appliances in the Basic Plan with the addition of your clothes dryer, clothes washer, refrigerator and air conditioning system
Choice Home Warranty offers 12 additional items that you can add to your plan, including your swimming pool, spa, lawn sprinkler system and more. Monthly fees for optional coverage are inexpensive. For example, you can add coverage for a second refrigerator or a stand-alone freezer for an additional $3.33 per month.
Similar to other home warranty providers, Choice Home Warranty only covers damage due to normal wear and tear. With both the basic and comprehensive warranties, you get coverage up to $3,000 per item. If you have additional coverage, you will receive up to $500 per item. The only outlier is your septic tank pump-out, which is covered up to $250.
Liberty Home Guard
With a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A+ and 4.7 stars on Google Reviews, Texas residents can trust Liberty Home Guard to take care of all home warranty needs. In addition to the three basic plans, Liberty offers add-on coverage for more than 34 household items.
Most home warranty providers offer only 10 to 15 additional coverage options, but Liberty Home Guard stands out from the rest with nearly three dozen additional options. This means you can create a home warranty that is perfectly tailored to your home..
For an additional monthly fee, Texans can add dozens of products and services to their home warranty, including critical pest control, pools, hot tubs, faucets, limited roof leak protection, trash compactors and more. The fees for these services range from $3.99 to $23.99 per month, so add-on costs can add up quickly. However, the $19.99 combined pool and spa coverage is one of the most affordable options if you have both on your property.
The maximum coverage cap for both heating and air conditioning systems is $2,000 per warranty contract term, which is sufficient coverage for most HVAC repairs. Many home warranty providers do not cover window unit A/C systems, but Liberty will cover up to two. This allows more Texas homeowners to benefit from air conditioning coverage.
Liberty Home Guard’s limited roof leak protection has a coverage cap of $500, which is standard for many of our home warranty companies and will help offset the cost of an old roof. However, coverage only applies to roofing that is over designated living space and it does not include metal roofs, shingles, tiles or missing material. Since Liberty’s warranty coverage is only for patching roofs, it may not be the most beneficial add-on for Texas homeowners.
Liberty Home Guard’s warranty plans are affordable, and you can get any of the company’s three options for less than $60 per month. Liberty separates its plans into options that include only appliances, only built-in systems or comprehensive coverage.
- Appliance Guard (starting at $49.99/mo): This plan is best for Texans who only want basic home appliances covered. Coverage includes your clothes dryer, refrigerator, built-in microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal, range/oven/cooktop, ceiling fans, exhaust fans and garage door openers. Does not include home systems
- Systems Guard (starting at $54.99/mo): Ideal for Texas residents who have older home systems, this plan covers heating, ductwork, plumbing, electrical and water heaters. Does not include appliances
- Total Home Guard (starting at $59.99/mo): Includes everything in the Appliance Guard and Systems Guard plans, which is ideal for Texas homeowners who want complete warranty coverage
Liberty Home Guard is the most customizable warranty provider, offering customers the option of 34 additional services. For example, you can add your swimming pool, hot tub, saltwater pool and even guest house to your plan for an additional monthly cost.
Liberty Home Guard’s warranty does not cover damage due to anything besides normal wear and tear. Your warranty will not cover damage to your household appliances and systems caused by pets, pests, natural disasters, corrosion, improper installation, human error or lack of maintenance.
Cinch Home Services
Known for its pre-existing conditions coverage, Cinch Home Services is one of the best home warranty providers in Texas. This provider offers three warranty plans and some additional coverage options.
Cinch Home Services has one of the best response times in the home warranty industry. Most warranty providers respond within 48 hours, which can easily extend to more than four days if you file a claim over the weekend. But with Cinch, you’ll often get a response within 24 hours, if not sooner. In fact, the average response time is just two hours for Texas homeowners.
If your Texas home has wall air conditioning units, Cinch should be your number one choice — it will cover repairs for all units in your home for up to $1,000. Cinch’s coverage cap for both wall and central air conditioning may be lower than other home warranty providers, but its comprehensive coverage is worth it.
If you want to include coverage for a swimming pool or spa, you can add both to your warranty for $22 per month. This monthly fee is higher than other providers, but it covers up to $1,500 worth of repairs during a contract term, which may be worth it for Texans who use their pools to cool off during the summer months.
This company also offers a 180-day workmanship guarantee, which is significantly longer than the usual 60- or 90-day guarantee. The major downside to Cinch is that it does not currently offer rook leak protection and has very few additional coverage options. So if you want to extend your home warranty coverage, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
Cinch Home Services has three coverage options, and each plan costs less than $55 per month. You can take out a warranty for your appliances, built-in systems or a combination of both.
- Appliances Plan (starting at $39.99/mo): This plan is best for homeowners who may have older major appliances. It covers your clothes dryer, clothes washer, cooktops, dishwashers, built-in food centers, freestanding ice makers, built-in microwave, ranges, range exhaust hoods, refrigerators, wall ovens and air conditioning
- Built-in Systems Plan (starting at $49.99/mo): If you have unique systems in your home, this is an ideal home warranty plan. It covers air conditioning, ductwork, attic fans, ceiling fans, central vacuum, doorbells, electrical systems, garage door openers, garbage disposals, heating systems, instant hot/cold water dispensers, plumbing systems, smoke detectors, sump pumps, toilets, water heaters, Whirlpool bathtubs and air conditioning
- Complete Home Plan (starting at $54.99/mo): One of the most affordable comprehensive coverage plans available, it covers everything included in both the Appliances and Built-in Systems plans
Cinch does not currently offer roof leak repair coverage, but you can purchase add-ons for your pool, hot tub, septic systems and well pump. Pool and spa coverage starts at $22 per month, which is slightly higher than some of our other top warranty companies.
Texas residents who choose the Complete Home Plan may be eligible for a $500 refund of their home insurance deductible. If you are not sure if you qualify, talk to your Cinch Home Services representative.
If a repair or replacement is covered by your home warranty or homeowner’s insurance, it will not be covered under your Cinch home warranty.
The maximum annual coverage amount you can receive from Cinch is $10,000, but the coverage limit per system or appliance is between $1,000 and $2,000, depending on your service contract.
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is a great home warranty provider with excellent customer service. While this warranty covers all major home systems and appliances, what sets Select Home Warranty apart is its low service call fee.
When your household systems and appliances break down, you do not want to pay a hefty service fee for a technician to come to your home. While most home warranty providers charge a service fee of $75 to $100, with Select Home Warranty you pay between $65 and $75 per call in Texas. Select Home Warranty plans also offer excellent protection for both your heating and air conditioning systems, covering repairs up to $3,000 each under certain plans. Since the company only covers central air conditioning systems, it may not be worth it if you have window or wall units, which are not covered.
Select Home Warranty offers the perfect warranty plans for Texans who want roof leak protection because, unlike other warranty providers, it is included in each plan and covers up to $400 in leaky roof damage. You can also add your pool and spa to your home warranty plan for an additional $8.33 and $5.33 per month, respectively. This is the most affordable price available for your pool and spa, so choose Select Home Warranty if you plan on including either in your plan.
In addition to low service fees, Select will send a technician to your home within 24 to 48 hours after you file a claim. This fast response time ensures your most critical equipment and systems are back up and running in no time.
Select Home Warranty offers three plans that cover either your home’s systems, appliances or both. Each plan includes free roof leak protection.
- Gold Care (starting at $60.42/mo): Perfect for homeowners who want basic system coverage, this plan includes air conditioning, heating, plumbing and electrical, plus your water heater and ductwork
- Bronze Care (starting at $60.42/mo): The ideal plan if you don’t want to worry about your home appliances. It covers your clothes washer and dryer, garbage disposal, refrigerator, stove/oven, built-in microwave, cooktop and dishwasher
- Platinum Care (starting at $63.75/mo): This premier plan is best for Texas homeowners who want full coverage of all major systems and appliances. It includes all the systems and appliances in the Gold Care and Bronze Care plans
Select Home Warranty offers nine additional services for a low premium ranging from $3.33 to $8.33 per month. That means you can protect your pool and spa for less than $10 per month.
Select Home Warranty does not cover damage caused by human error, acts of nature, corrosion, manufacturing defects or poor installation. If the damage is covered by your homeowner’s insurance, it is not covered by your home warranty.
Other Home Warranty Resources
- What is a Home Warranty?
- How Much Do Home Warranties Cost?
- Is a Home Warranty Worth It for You?
- Best Home Warranties in 2023
- Do Your Appliances Need Extended Warranties?
What To Look for in a Texas Home Warranty
Home warranties can get pretty pricey, so it’s important to ensure that you get coverage for the things that are likely to break down in your home. Here are some essential features to look for when shopping for a home warranty in Texas.
- Air conditioning and refrigerator coverage: When temperatures rise into the 90s, especially over 100°F, refrigerators and air conditioners are under intense pressure to perform. Both will work overtime to keep your home and food cool in the sweltering heat. Opt for a home warranty policy that has adequate coverage on both items.
- Customizable plans: Consider looking for a highly customizable plan — like the ones from American Home Shield (AHS) – that allows you flexibility in coverage and cost. Some options include adding one-off appliances or systems to other plans to help you save.
- Pool and spa coverage: A swimming pool can be a lifesaver in the hot Texas heat. But when your pool equipment breaks down, your oasis can become an expensive nightmare. Look for home warranty providers—such as Liberty Home Guard—offering additional pool and spa coverage.
- Well protection: Texas is prone to droughts, and many homeowners have well water. If your well runs dry, your pump could be at greater risk of damage, depending on the type and safety features. Even if it doesn’t run dry, having well-specific coverage is a good idea for many residents, as this is the primary way for countless Texans to access clean water.
So, What is the Best Home Warranty for Your Texas Home?
Every homeowner has different needs and priorities when it comes to their home warranty policy. For that reason, no one home warranty plan or provider is best for all Texas homes. Yet, there are some factors you should consider when researching home warranty providers.
Since temperatures in Texas can easily exceed 100 degrees in the summer, air conditioners are an important part of all homes and should be covered by your home warranty. Not all warranty plans — like Choice Home Warranty’s Basic Plan — will cover your air conditioner, or for some providers, the coverage amount is not high enough to cover all costs.
Texas can also experience heavy rains and severe weather conditions, so you should look for a warranty provider that offers leaky roof repairs. Almost all of our top warranty providers in Texas offer roof leak protection as an add-on option, but American Home Shield’s platinum plan and all Select Home Warranty plans include roof leak protection.
When researching different warranty options, be sure to carefully review sample contracts and speak with representatives to ensure your home systems and appliances are fully covered.
FAQs About the Best Home Warranty Companies in Texas
Is it worth it to get a home warranty in Texas?
Most major household systems and appliances have a lifespan of only six to 10 years. If you buy an older home with older appliances and home systems, you could spend thousands of dollars to replace eventual breakdowns. Home warranties are worthwhile for Texans who want to make sure they are covered in case something fails.
How do I choose a good home warranty in Texas?
If you have decided to invest in a home warranty for your Texas home, there are several things you should do to get the best deal possible. Make sure you:
- Gather multiple quotes.
- Talk to company representatives to get discounts.
- Purchase only the coverage you need.
- Choose only the add-ons you need.
Methodology: How We Chose the Best Home Warranty Companies in Texas
To help consumers like you choose the best home warranty companies for your Texas home, we dive deep into every top-rated home warranty company and rate them based on six factors. Once we research a company and have gathered all our data, we use the following scoring system to grade each home warranty company on a 100-point scale. We then convert the score to a 5-star rating.
- Plans + Coverage (24 Possible Points): Since every customer has different needs and a different budget, we award more points to providers that offer more plans and greater flexibility. Not every homeowner needs full coverage, so companies like American Home Shield and Cinch Home Services offer great coverage for either just your home systems or home appliances.
- Affordability (22.5 Possible Points): Affordability is an important factor because many homeowners choose home warranties to avoid high payments for home appliance repairs. This category evaluates each company based on the cost of its plans and additional services, service call fees and cancellation terms. All of our top home warranty providers offer competitive prices, but the price of Choice Home Warranty’s plans are most similar to the national average.
- Customer Experience (18.5 Possible Points): Your experience as a customer is important, including the support you receive when contacting your home warranty provider. We gauge overall support by looking at customer reviews, conducting homeowner surveys and analyzing the quotes process. Some companies, such as American Home Shield, contact you daily after you provide your information whereas others, like AFC Home Shield, call you once to ask if you have any questions.
- Company Reputation (17.5 Possible Points): A company’s reputation is a combination of reviews from customers and reputable organizations like the BBB. We also take into account the years of experience a company has, how satisfied its employees are and any past or pending lawsuits. Liberty Home Guard does exceptionally well in this category with an A- rating with the BBB and 4.7 stars on Google.
- Claims Process (12.5 Possible Points): In this category, we look at the overall claims process, including how easy it is to file a claim and a company’s response time. Cinch Home Services earns points due to its quick response time, whereas other providers like American Home Shield and Liberty Home Guard earn points for having 24/7 customer service availability.
- Availability (5 points): Availability refers to how many states and locations a company serves. All of the companies on our list are available in Texas and offer full home warranty service.
Find the Best Home Warranty Providers in Other States