Mississippi homeowners get a low cost of living, comfort food, and mild winters. The state of Mississippi has lots of great things going for it, but of course, homeownership in any state can be stressful. The time you spend worrying about the systems and appliances in your home will certainly start to wear on you.
Home warranties can save just about any homeowner money, but they are particularly useful in areas like Mississippi, where home appliances and systems fail regularly. The above-average rainfall, the likelihood of hurricanes and other natural disasters, and the extreme heat in the summer can put added stress on things like air conditioners and roofs. We consider these local factors and many others when ranking the best home warranty companies in Mississippi.
Mississippi’s Best Home Warranty Companies in 2023
Quick Comparison of Home Warranty Providers
The table below outlines data for the best home warranty companies on the market. We constantly update these ratings as companies change their policies and prices to give you the most accurate information possible. Continue reading in-depth reviews of several top providers.
49 states, excluding WA
47 states, excluding NV, WA, and WI
47 states, excluding NV, WA, and WI
49 states, excluding HI
48 states, excluding AK and HI
42 states, excluding AK, HI, MT, NH, ND, OK, SD, and WY
34 states, excluding AK, CT, DE, HI, IL, LA, ME, MA, MN, NH, NJ, NY, ND, RI, VT, and WI
*Quote and cost data gathered January 2023. Cost data are updated and monitored continuously.
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty in the state of Mississippi. The Choice Home Warranty offers one of the most simple and straightforward service contracts on the market. If you are new to the world of home warranties and worried about whether or not your home will be accepted for coverage, don’t be. Choice Home Warrant is one of the most inclusive companies on the market. Having more than 13 years in the industry, they know exactly what homeowners need and they will provide quick and affordable service.
The Choice Home Warranty plan comes with the option of two different policies. Even though there are only two plans to choose from, each one has a mix of appliances and systems. Other home warranty companies will require that you purchase both system and appliance coverage, and it can get quite expensive. In addition, the Choice Home Warranty policy comes with a nice list of add-on coverages. These add-on coverages will help customize the plan to your needs. The coverage caps average around $2,500, and the service fee is $85, which is about average.
Here’s a detailed look at Choice Home Warranty’s coverage:
- Basic Plan ($42/month): Unlike the entry-level plans from most other companies, the Basic Plan from Choice includes coverage for appliances and home systems. You’ll get protection for your plumbing, electrical, and heating systems, which include water heaters, toilets, and ductwork. Home appliance coverage includes ovens, cooktops, cooktop exhaust fans, dishwashers, garbage disposals, microwaves, ceiling fans, and garage door openers.
- Total Plan ($53.33/month): The Total plan is a more valuable option because the coverage is much more comprehensive, but the cost is only about $11 more per month. With this plan, you get protection for everything in the basic plan, plus refrigerators, dryers, and washing machines.
In addition to the above plans and coverages, Choice Home Warranty also offers add-on coverage options for some customization of your plans, including:
- Central vacuum
- Limited roof leak
- Septic system
- Septic tank pumping
- Sump pump
- Well pump
- Second refrigerator
- Stand-alone freezer
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard is the most trustworthy home warranty in the state of Mississippi. The great thing about the Liberty Home Guard plan is that it has a BBB rating of an A. This is almost unheard of in the home warranty industry. Even though the Liberty Home Guard plan has only been on the market for about two years, they have done a tremendous job of proving their value. One of the things that customers like most about Liberty Home Guard is the speed of service and attention to detail. Customer service has remained a priority since day one with this company.
The Liberty Home Guard has three plan options to choose from. A systems plan, appliance plan, and a comprehensive or combo plan. Each of these plans tends to be a little higher in cost than some of the other options on the market, but the coverages are pretty broad. The add-on coverage from Liberty Home Guard is some of the broadest on the market. You can add anything from pest control to a sump pump. The coverage caps with LHG are lower than most at just $1,500. The service fee is $75 for each service call.
Here’s a detailed look at Liberty Home Guard’s coverage:
- Appliance Guard ($64.99/month): The Appliance Guard plan covers appliances only, but the coverage is quite extensive in this category. It covers refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, garbage disposals, washers, dryers, microwaves, ice makers, cooktop exhaust fans, ceiling fans, and garage door openers.
- Systems Guard ($69.99/month): The Systems Guard plan is the systems-only plan offered by LHG. This plan covers your electrical, heating, plumbing, and air conditioning systems. It includes coverage for HVAC ductwork, bathroom exhaust fans, toilets, and water heaters as components of those systems as well.
- Total Home Guard ($74.99/month): The Total Home Guard plan offers the most comprehensive coverage and the greatest peace of mind. It’s only a bit more expensive than the other two plans, but it includes protection for everything covered by both.
Liberty Home Guard also offers some of the most highly customizable coverage, as it provides the below add-on coverages that can be added to any plan:
- Pool and spa
- Additional spa
- Saltwater pool
- Gutter cleaning
- Floor/carpet cleaning
- Sump pump
- Water softener
- Trash compactor
- Lawn sprinkler system
- Electronics protection
- Swamp cooler
- Ejector pump
- Septic system pumping
- Limited roof leak
- Pest control
- Free-standing ice maker
- Central vacuum
- Stand-alone freezer
- Second refrigerator
- Wine refrigerator
- Well pump
- TV and PC
- Water dispenser
Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is the most cost-effective home warranty plan for Mississippi homeowners. When you are purchasing a home warranty, it is essential to pay attention to the overall costs. The more expensive a policy is, the harder it is to justify the costs. Select Home Warranty makes it much easier to afford their plans, and they offer quality workmanship along with it. In addition, the Select Home Warranty plan comes with free roof leak coverage. This coverage is an added benefit and a way to increase the overall value of this plan.
Select Home Warranty has three policies to choose from. The options are quite simple as you will have a systems plan, appliance plan, and combo plan to choose from. Select Home Warranty offers one of the most affordable combo plans on the market. It is just a few dollars more per month, yet it will double the coverage of the other plans. The Select Home Warranty also offers some great paid add-on coverages that you can use to customize your plan. The coverage caps for Select Home Warranty are a bit low compared to other service providers. The service fee, however, is well below average at just $60 per service call.
Here’s a detailed look at Select Home Warranty’s coverage:
- Bronze Plan ($52/month): The Bronze Plan is Select Home Warranty’s appliance-only plan. It provides protection for refrigerators, ovens, ranges, garbage disposals, microwaves, clothes washers, and dryers. This plan seems expensive compared to other appliance-only options, but it includes refrigerator coverage, which many basic plans don’t.
- Gold Plan ($52/month): The Gold Plan covers home systems rather than home appliances. You’ll get protection for your electrical, plumbing, air conditioning, and heating systems, plus HVAC ductwork and water heaters.
- Platinum Plan ($57/month): The Platinum Plan from Select Home Warranty is one of the best values in the industry. It covers everything in the Bronze and Gold Plans together in a single coverage package, and it’s just $5 more per month than the others by themselves. Additionally, it includes protection for ceiling fans, garage door openers, and plumbing blockages.
There are some customization options available as well via the company’s add-on services, which include:
- Pool (no jets or liners included)
- Septic system (pumping included)
- Well pump
- Sump pump
- Lawn sprinkler system
- Roof leaks
- Central vacuum
- Stand-alone freezer
American Home Shield
American Home Shield is the most customizable plan in Mississippi. Having the ability to add and subtract coverage based on the specific needs of your Mississippi home is quite an impressive benefit of the American Home Shield warranty. AHS has been on the market for more than 50 years, making it one of the oldest home warranty companies on the market. After all this time in the industry, American Home Shield is still looked at as having premium coverage for homeowners.
The American Home Shield policies come in three choices. The two comprehensive options tend to be the better choice because of the system and appliance coverage. One important thing about the American Home Shield policy is that the add-on coverage is very strong. If your Mississippi home has a pool or a spa, this is an add-on you will want to consider. Pool and spa equipment are very expensive to repair. You can customize your service fee to meet your budget, and you can pay anywhere from $75 up to $150.
Here’s a detailed look at American Home Shield’s coverage:
- ShieldSilver ($39.99/month): The ShieldSilver plan includes protection for 14 home systems. You’ll get coverage for your heating, cooling, electrical, and plumbing system, which includes HVAC ductwork and water heaters. Also included are smaller systems like smoke alarms and garage door openers. The coverage with this plan isn’t quite as extensive as you’d find in other systems-only plans, but the cost is very appealing to most homeowners.
- ShieldGold ($49.99/month): The ShieldGold plan covers appliances and home systems, so it’s a step up from the basic plan. It covers all systems included in the ShieldSilver Plan, and it adds in refrigerators, dishwashers, microwaves, ovens, cooktops, washers, dryers, water dispensers, and garbage disposals.
- ShieldPlatinum ($64.99/month): The ShieldPlatinum plan is the total package from American Home Shield. It includes everything in the previous two plans, but it comes with higher coverage caps and lower service fees, which reduces your out-of-pocket costs for repairs and maintenance. It also adds in roof leak repair coverage, which is great in Mississippi, and additional maintenance for air conditioners, including annual tune-ups.
American Home Shield also provides some optional coverage in the form of the below add-ons, which you can add onto any existing plan:
- Electronic extended warranty
- Pool and spas
- Well pump
- Septic pump
- Guest unit
- PC and TV
Home Warranties in Mississippi Cities
How Much Does a Home Warranty in Mississippi Cost?
A home warranty in Mississippi will cost between $35 and $80 per month or around $672 per year. The higher-priced plans will have more extensive coverage and some add-on options. The lower-priced plans will have limited coverage and potentially higher service fees as well. The average service fee is around $85 per service call.
|Home Over 5,000 sq ft||$1,232.50|
|Home Under 5,000 sq ft||$645.01|
Compare the Best Home Warranty Companies in Mississippi
|Home Warranty Company||Choice Home Warranty||Liberty Home Guard||Select Home Warranty||American Home Shield||The Home Service Club|
|Best For||Best Overall||Most Trustworthy||Most Cost-Effective Plans||Best Customization Options||Fastest Service|
|Average Cost||$50 per month||$70 per month||$60 per month||$45 per month||$56 per month|
|Annual Limit||$3,000||$2,000-$2,500||$2,000||$3,000 to unlimited||$350-$2,000|
|Average Response Time||Up to 48 hours||Within 24 hours||Up to 48 hours||Up to 48 hours||Within 24 hours|
|State Availability||49 States||48 States||46 States||49 States||50 States|
|Online Chat / Mobile App||No||Online Chat||No||No||No|
|Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
At this point, we hope you feel confident about the Mississippi home warranty choices. The Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty for Mississippi homeowners. With this plan in place, you will get great customer service, impressive workmanship, and more peace of mind about your home. The most important thing to ensure is that you get your home warranty started sooner rather than later. You never know when the next break will happen, and you will want your coverage to be active. Getting a quote for a few of the top four companies will help you choose the best possible plan for your needs.
How to Choose the Best Home Warranty in Mississippi
Now that we have your options narrowed down to the top four best on the market, it’s time to choose which one of these plans will be best for you. There are several important factors to consider when comparing Mississippi home warranties. Three of these are customer reviews, claim approvals, and service fee pricing.
- Customer Reviews: There are plenty of customer reviews out there about any of these policy choices. Remember that customers are more likely to review a company when they are angry or upset; however, it is good to see how the home warranty company responds to these issues.
- Claim Approvals: Home warranty companies will deny claims for a variety of reasons. Take a look at the reputation of the home warranty companies when it comes to paying out claims. You will want a company that says yes to a claim when you have an issue in your home.
- Service Fee Pricing: The service fee is the price you pay each time a repair is scheduled. Service fees are typically priced between $60 and $150, and they will impact the overall affordability of the plan.
The above tips are rather general and will apply to buying a home warranty in just about any state. However, there are some specific things you’ll want to keep in mind in Mississippi as well that can help narrow down your options.
First, you should consider that the state receives well above the national average precipitation every year and extreme weather events. Mississippi residents contend with an average of 55.9 inches of rain, plus high winds and hurricanes, all of which make roof leaks more of an issue. Most residents look for coverage that includes roof leak protection.
Second, the temperatures in Mississippi can be blisteringly hot in the summers, reaching into the high 80s and 90s in the summer months. These high temperatures can put added stress on your cooling system, refrigerators, and freezers, and overworking them can lead to breakdowns. It’s wise to get a home warranty that includes ACs and these appliances.
What is a Home Warranty?
A home warranty is a protection plan for your appliances and home systems. It acts somewhat like a home insurance policy in that it provides protection for things in your home and covers the costs of unexpected maintenance and replacements.
Home warranties come with an annual cost, plus you’ll have to pay a service fee averaging around $85 for every claim you file with your home warranty service provider. Home warranties also have coverage limits per item and on a yearly basis, which limit how much coverage you’ll receive for damages.
Home Warranty vs. Homeowners Insurance
While it’s convenient to compare home warranties and homeowners insurance, the two actually differ in several important ways.
First, homeowners insurance is a general policy that covers total damage to your home. For example, it might payout a single lump sum after damage caused by a hurricane, but it doesn’t cover individual appliances or home systems like a home warranty does. With a home warranty, you can file smaller claims for smaller issues, like a fridge failing to work because of old age.
Second, a home warranty requires very little for a “qualifying event.” If you have coverage for your heating system and your boiler goes down unexpectedly, your warranty coverage will likely kick in. On the other hand, a qualifying event for home insurance is usually a catastrophe, like a fire, flood, or natural disaster. Homeowners insurance claims are rare, while home warranty claims can be filed multiple times per year.
Finally, the deductible or out-of-pocket costs you pay for each will vary quite a bit. A homeowners insurance policy often requires that you pay several thousands of dollars before coverage kicks in, although the coverage cap is usually in the hundreds of thousands. With a home warranty, your only out-of-pocket cost in most cases will be the $85 service fee, and the coverage caps are in the thousands most of the time.
How Does a Home Warranty in Mississippi Work?
The process of securing a home warranty in Mississippi is very straightforward. You just need to choose a service provider, select a plan that meets your needs and suits your budget, and then pay for the plan. Most providers require a waiting period before coverage kicks in, but after that, you can file claims by following the below process.
- Find a problem in your home with a system or appliance that is covered by your home warranty
- File a claim using your provider’s mobile app, website, or claims phone number to request service
- A service technician will be assigned to your request, and you’ll get service within 24 to 48 hours in most cases
- Pay the service fee to your home warranty company
What Does a Home Warranty Cover?
Every home warranty plan is different, so the coverage included in your home warranty will vary based on your provider and individual plan. Most options cover appliances or home systems, and there are comprehensive plan options that include coverage for both.
If you choose a plan that covers appliances, chances are you’ll get protection for your refrigerator, oven, stove, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, clothes dryer, and garbage disposal. Some lower-tier plans don’t include refrigerators or washers and dryers. If you choose a plan that covers systems, you’ll be looking at coverage for your plumbing, heating, electrical, and cooling systems. Most also include water heaters and other minor systems, like garage door openers.
You will also likely have your pick of add-on coverage options. These are added a la carte to existing plans, and none are included in the plan cost. Common add-on options are for pools, spas, additional refrigerators, sump pumps, and more.
What is Not Covered by a Home Warranty?
As is the case with coverages included, every plan will exclude different items. For a list of what yours covers, you should always check your service contract. The most common general exclusions are for intentional damage, issues caused by a lack of maintenance, pre-existing conditions in your home, and cosmetic repairs.
Biggest Complaints about Home Warranty Companies in Mississippi
Although home warranties are generally positive and end up saving people money, there are some complaints we see often from homeowners in Mississippi about their coverage and plan providers.
One of the most common issues reported is higher out-of-pocket costs for certain problems. Things like roof leaks and fridge replacements can often exceed coverage caps, so be sure you understand the maximum payout your warranty company will provide.
Another issue commonly reported is companies denying claims that are for covered items. In some cases, this could be due to limitations in the coverage or exclusions, like damages to your HVAC system because you failed to maintain it properly. These denials can be genuine, but they can also occur if you choose a warranty from a less reputable company. We recommend only working with a trusted provider, like those mentioned above.
Are home warranties worth it?
Home warranties will cover their entire costs after just a few repairs or replacements around the home. When your home experiences an issue with a washing machine and a dryer simultaneously, would your budget allow you to fix both? Most Mississippi homeowners don’t want to live with the fear of something happening to an appliance or system from one day to the next. The home warranty becomes a great option for protecting the budget and providing some peace of mind to Mississippi homeowners.
For example, a single service call to a plumber or HVAC tech averages around $300. How many times in the past year have you needed one of these specialists? Appliance repair averages around $350, and replacement can cost several thousands of dollars. With a home warranty, you’d pay just $85 on average per service call. If you do some simple math, you’ll see that a home warranty can save you far more than you’d normally spend on home maintenance in a given year.
Home warranties provide more than just financial assistance; they also give you peace of mind that you won’t be subject to unexpected repair bills. Many Mississippi homeowners find that their home warranty is worth the comfort it provides, even if they never make an expensive service call that needs coverage.
FAQs About Mississippi Home Warranties
What is the best home warranty company in Mississippi?
The best home warranty company in Mississippi is the Choice Home Warranty. Choice is a plan that has been on the market for 13 years and has always been rated among the highest. The customer service, simplicity of the contract, and fair coverage options make the Choice Home Warranty one of the best on the market.
What is a service fee?
The service fee is the price you pay for a repair technician to come to your home and inspect and repair a broken appliance or system. The service fee is typically the only cost incurred by a homeowner when they have a home warranty in place. Service fees range in price from $60 to $150.
Who needs a home warranty?
Everyone can benefit from a home warranty, and they end up saving most homeowners a significant amount of money over the life of the coverage. However, they are particularly useful for first-time homebuyers looking to protect their new home and investment, sellers in the real estate market who want to avoid charges for repairs made for their buyers, and those who live in aging houses that are more likely to experience issues.
Today's Homeowner Home Warranty Ranking Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader. We’ve done the homework for you and have researched over 50 home warranty companies so you can have the information you need to make the best choice for your home.
Our team spent hours on the phone speaking to representatives from each home warranty company to get information right from the source. We also dug into the fine print on each company’s service agreement to ensure no detail was left out.
To make the most of our research, we developed an objective rating system to score each home warranty company based on the following criteria:
- Plans: Do they provide a variety of plan options? We looked at the number of plans each company offered and the flexibility of adjusting the plan.
- Prices: How reasonable are the monthly and service fees compared to the industry average? We compared the costs of each company to competitors.
- Coverage: How many items are covered in each plan? We looked at the number of items each company covers. We dig into all service contracts available to get all the details.
- Customer service: How is the customer experience when calling the providers? Based on our phone calls, we judged each company’s customer service.
- Trust: What do customers rate the company? We looked into what customers are saying about their experience with the company.
- Nationwide availability: How many states does the company cover? We found the number of states covered by each company.
- Unique perks: Does the company offer discounts or cover special items? We looked for perks offered by each company that set them apart from the competition.