Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
Unlike homeowners insurance, which protects you from catastrophic events, home warranties cover everyday wear and tear. When a covered item wears out from normal use, a home warranty provider will send a contractor to repair the item or even replace it for the cost of a service fee.
Homeowners in New York have many options, so we’re here to identify the top home warranty companies at your disposal. We’ve laid out each provider’s plans and pricing structures along with the overall pros and cons. Because the cost of living within the Empire State can vary by zip code, we’ll present quotes from homes with similar square footage in both Brooklyn and Buffalo. Armed with all this information, we’re confident you can find a home warranty in New York to fit your needs and budget.
What to Look for in a New York Home Warranty
- Overall pricing: The pricing of the policy can be determined by looking at both monthly coverage and service fee pricing. The plan’s overall price will likely be between $40-$60 per month for a New York home warranty.
- Extra coverage options: Nearly all home warranty companies offer additional coverage riders for homeowners looking to expand their coverage beyond what’s included in the base plan. Select a home warranty provider with at least six elective coverage add-on options.
- Generous coverage caps: The higher the annual coverage limit, the less you’ll have to pay when an appliance or system breaks down in your home. It’s a good idea to prioritize plans with annual coverage maximums of at least $3,000 per item, if possible.
- Service fees: Across the providers featured on our site, the average service fee is $76.55. Some companies, however, charge as low as $60 per service visit. Keep in mind that, if you anticipate filing multiple claims per year, service fees can add up quickly.
Choice Home Warranty — Best Overall
- Average Annual Cost: $504-$639.96
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty in New York. Choice is one of the most well-known brands in the industry, and you have likely heard of their services at some point. The company has been around for more than 14 years, and it offers comprehensive policies and coverage choices for your home. More than 50% of our home warranty survey respondents marked coverage as the most important detail to them when choosing a home warranty, and Choice offers some of the highest coverage caps in the industry.
Why We Chose Choice Home Warranty
We rated Choice Home Warranty (CHW) 4.9 out of 5 stars, making it the best overall home warranty in New York. CHW earned first place in our round-up specifically for its emergency service options, generous $3,000 per-item annual coverage caps, and new joiner discounts.
Founded in 2008, Choice Home Warranty has covered over 1.6 million homes nationwide. As one of the most popular providers in New York, Choice stands out for its two base plans that both offer combined coverage for appliances and systems. When scoring Choice, we did deduct one point for the lack of air conditioning coverage in the Basic Plan. Only the more comprehensive Total Plan comes with A/C coverage.
Pros and Cons of Choice Home Warranty
- Internal network of over 25,000 bonded and insured technicians
- New joiners can save $50 and one month of free coverage when they opt to pay annually
- All repairs and replacements are guaranteed for 6o days, or you’ll receive free reservicing
- Covers up to $3,000 in maintenance per year for each item included in your plan level
- Charges a $50 cancellation fee
- Plans are not customizable
Plans and Pricing
Though CHW’s coverage only spans two base plans — Basic and Total — both offer combined protection for your home’s essential appliances and systems. The nonadjustable service fee associated with either of Choice’s plans is $85.
- Basic Plan ($45 per month): The Basic Plan covers 14 items, including plumbing systems, plumbing stoppages, ceiling fans, garbage disposals, heating systems, cooktop exhaust fans, built-in microwaves, dishwashers, ductwork, electrical systems, garage door openers, ovens, toilets, and hot water heaters. This is a good plan option, but it excludes one feature that many New Yorkers enjoy: air conditioning.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): This comprehensive plan covers all 14 items in the Basic Plan plus air conditioning systems, refrigerators, clothes washers, and clothes dryers. New York residents with an A/C unit will want to ensure that they opt for this coverage level, as air conditioning unit repairs can easily creep into the thousands to fix.
Choice Home Warranty has nine additional coverage riders for customers to choose from, including:
- Pool and spa (for in-ground set-ups only) — $15 per month or $180 per year
- Roof leak repairs (for single-family homes only) — $5.83 per month or $70 per year
- Central vacuum — $3.33 per month or $40 per year
- Septic systems — $10 per month or $120 per year
- Septic tank pumping — $5.42 per month or $65 per year
- Sprinkler systems — $8.33 per month or $100 per year
- Standalone freezers — $3.33 per month or $40 per year
- Second refrigerators — $3.33 per month or $40 per year
- Sump pumps — $3.33 per month or $40 per year
- Well pumps — $8.33 per month or $100 per year
To get a free quote from Choice Home Warranty, fill out this online form or call 929-400-6164.
For more information, read our Choice Home Warranty Review.
Liberty Home Guard — Most Trustworthy
- Average Annual Cost: $700 – $799.99
- Response Time: Within 24 hours
It takes a lot to gain the trust of thousands of New Yorkers in just five short years on the market. Excellent ratings from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), a long track record of positive customer testimonials, and a strong commitment to customer service propelled Liberty Home Guard (LHG) into our top five home warranty companies in New York. It’s also an excellent option for homeowners who want unmatched coverage for a wide variety of household items.
Why We Chose Liberty Home Guard
House Method gave Liberty Home Guard 4.6 out of 5 stars and named it the most trustworthy home warranty company in New York. Liberty Home Guard has quickly managed to garner an A- rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and overall positive marks from customers. According to a recent House Method survey, 96 out of 736 participating homeowners marked trust and transparency as the most important quality of a home warranty company.
Liberty Home Guard is a great option for New Yorkers looking to take standard coverage and transform it for their needs through coverage add-ons. Offering one of the longest lists of plan riders in the industry, LHG boasts 41+ extra items options with one-of-a-kind services like re-keying, pest control, window-washing, electronics protection, and more.
Pros and Cons of Choice Home Warranty
- One of the only leading providers with an A- rating from the Better Business Bureau
- List of 41+ elective coverage riders — the longest in the industry
- All repairs and replacements are backed by a 60-day workmanship guarantee
- Add-on options can get expensive quickly
Plans and Pricing
Homeowners in New York can choose one of three plans offered by Liberty Home Guard. Appliance Guard and Systems Guard are appliance-only and systems-only value plans that are available for customers with minimal coverage needs. Total Home Guard, however, is LHG’s comprehensive two-for-one option for homeowners in search of whole-house protection. And the base plans are just the beginning! Homeowners can also choose from an extensive list of 41+ add-on plan options, with unique extras like coverage for pro-series appliances and window washing. Liberty Home Guard’s coverage limits are fair, with most falling around the $2,000 mark. Its required service fee is $75, slightly below the industry average.
- Appliance Guard ($70 per month): Appliance Guard covers 11 major appliances, including garage door openers, ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fans, ovens, refrigerators, garbage disposals, dishwashers, built-in microwaves, clothes washers, clothes dryers, and built-in ice-makers.
- Systems Guard ($74.99 per month): Systems Guard offers coverage for nine essential home systems including electrical, heating, air conditioning, ductwork, plumbing, plumbing stoppages, bath exhaust fans, toilets, and hot water heaters.
- Total Home Guard ($79.99 per month): Total Home Guard covers 20 appliances and systems by combining the previous two plans. Opting for the more comprehensive plan option will significantly reduce the number of ineligible breakdowns around your home in the future.
Liberty Home Guard has one of the most extensive lists of add-ons offered across all home warranty providers, with items including:
- Carpet cleaning — $19.99 per month
- Central vacuum — $8.99 per month
- Electronic protection — $19.99 per month
- Grinder pumps — $14.99 per month
- Guest unit coverage (up to 750 square feet) — $35.99 per month
- Gutter cleaning — $14.99 per month
- Instant hot water dispensers — $9.99 per month
- Light fixtures — $7.99 per month
- Limited roof leak coverage (only applies to patching over occupied areas of single-family homes) — $11.99
- Pest control — $14.99 per month
- Plumbing fixtures — $7.99 per month
- Pools and spas (includes chlorine and saltwater set-ups) — $19.99 per month
- Power washing for exterior flooring (includes driveways, walkways, decks, patios, etc.) — $19.99 per month
- Pro-series kitchen and laundry appliances (exclusively for professional-grade appliances with luxury features) — $11.99 per month
- Re-keying (cover re-keys for two lock cylinders per contract term) — $9.99 per month
- Reverse osmosis filter systems — $14.99 per month
- Septic system pumping — $12.99 per month
- Sewage ejector pumps — $14.99
- Sprinkler systems — $9.99 per month
- Standalone freezers — $5.99 per month
- Built-in ice-makers — $3.99 per month
- Second refrigerators — $7.99 per month
- Wine coolers — $11.99 per month
- Sump pumps — $8.99 per month
- TV mounting (for up to 65-inch or 85-inch TVs) — $19.99 per month
- Water softener — $13.99 per month
- Well pumps — $12.99 per month
- Window washing (does not include interior cleaning) — $19.99 per month
To get a free quote from Liberty Home Guard, fill out this online form or call 866-451-2281.
Read our Liberty Home Guard review for more information.
Select Home Warranty — Most Cost-Effective
- Average Annual Cost: $624-$684
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
Select Home Warranty offers premiums and service fees that are well below the industry standard and makes an active effort to ensure its policyholders only pay for what they need by offering appliance-only and systems-only plans. Select also provides free roof leak coverage in its plans rather than making policyholders pay for it as an add-on option, a welcome perk for homeowners in a state with above-average rainfall and periods of severe weather.
Why We Chose Select Home Warranty
We gave Select Home Warranty (SHW) 4.8 out of 5 stars and chose it as the most cost-effective home warranty option in New York. For over a decade, SHW has offered comprehensive home protection plans, topped with an exclusive rotation of discounts for new joiners. New York homeowners who enroll with Select will receive an additional $150 off their premium plus two bonus months of free coverage and complimentary roof protection.
Based in the neighboring state of New Jersey, Select Home Warranty has been helping homeowners save big since 2012. Offering robust coverage alongside a $60 service fee — one of the lowest deductibles on the market — Select is a great option for homeowners on a tight budget. It’s worth noting that Select does, however, have slightly lower annual coverage limits than some of its competitors. Make note of any older systems or appliances around your home that are likely to fail in the near future, and how their potential cost aligns with Select’s maximums.
Pros and Cons of Choice Home Warranty
- Free roof leak protection no matter the plan level you purchase
- Offers multi-year protection plans for homeowners ready to make a longer-term commitment
- All repairs and replacements are guaranteed for 90 days after the initial service appointment
- Lighting and plumbing fixtures aren’t covered
Plans and Pricing
Select Home Warranty has three plans for its customers to choose from. The Bronze Care option is an appliance plan, whereas the Gold Care level is a systems-only plan. The Platinum Care plan — SHW’s most comprehensive protection level — is a combo policy with the best overall coverage for New York homeowners. Coverage caps from Select Home Warranty are slightly lower than average — in the $200 to $500 range — which is how it’s able to offer such low monthly prices. The service fee for all three plans is also one of the lowest you’ll find industry-wide at $60 per appointment.
- Bronze Care ($58 per month): The Bronze Care plan covers eight major appliances, including refrigerators, built-in microwaves, clothes washers and dryers, ovens, stoves, garbage disposals, and cooktops. We recommend this plan level for first-time homeowners who aren’t fully clear on their coverage needs but still want minimal protection in the meantime.
- Gold Care ($57.67 per month): The Gold Care plan covers six major home systems, including plumbing, air conditioning, heating, water heaters, electrical systems, and ductwork. Again, as a systems-only plan, this level doesn’t include items mentioned in the Bronze Care plan.
- Platinum Care ($62.08 per month): The Platinum Care plan is the most comprehensive option offered by Select Home Warranty. With this plan, New York homeowners will have both system and appliance coverage for just a couple of bucks more per month than the Bronze Care or Gold Care plan.
New Yorkers can add the following optional coverages to their Select Home Warranty base plan:
- Sump pumps — $3.33 per month
- Well pumps — $3.33 per month
- Standalone freezers — $3.33 per month
- Second refrigerators — $3.33 per month
- In-ground pools — $8.33 per month
- In-ground spas — $5.83 per month
- Septic systems — $5.83 per month
- Lawn sprinkler systems — $5.83 per month
- Central vacuum — $3.33 per month
- Roof leak repairs — $0 per month
- Automatically included but must be selected as an add-on at checkout
To get a free quote from Select Home Warranty, fill out this online form or call 888-370-3953.
For more information, read our Select Home Warranty Review.
American Home Shield — Best Customizable Plans
- Average Annual Cost: $527.88 – $711.88
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
Homes in New York are unique and appeal to a wide range of budgets and incomes. Having the ability to customize your home warranty plan to cover as much of your home as you want is a tremendous benefit, and that is where American Home Shield stands out from the competition.
Why We Chose American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) earned 4.7 out 5 stars based on our rating system. We recognized this provider for having the best customizable plans in the industry. American Home Shield grants customers the opportunity to build a made-to-order home protection plan through its three base plans and adjustable service fee. According to our recent survey, 21% of participating homeowners marked the ability to personalize their plan as one of the most important features of a home warranty.
Established in 1971, AHS is one of the longest-standing home warranty companies to date. For over five decades, American Home Shield has geared its service mission toward helping homeowners create unique levels of protection that cater to their individual needs. Unlike many of its competitors, AHS’s coverage includes damage caused by unknown pre-existing conditions, poor routine maintenance, and improper installations.
Pros and Cons of Choice Home Warranty
- Costs an average of $43 per month, which is $8 cheaper than the industry average
- Customers can choose between a $75, $100, and $125 service fee
- ShieldGold policyholders around covered by a generous $6,000 annual coverage limit per-item
- Charges a $50 fee for any contract cancellations after the first 30 days of coverage
Plans and Pricing
American Home Shield has three standard plan options available to New York homeowners. Any of these plans can be purchased as-is or further customized to better fit your coverage and budget goals. AHS also allows policyholders to choose a service fee of $75, $100, or $125. The higher your service fee, the lower your monthly or annual premium will be, and vice versa. The monthly premiums listed below are based on the $100 service fee.
- ShieldSilver ($34.27 per month): ShieldSilver covers 14 home systems, including air conditioning, electrical systems, smoke alarms, water heaters, doorbells, garage door openers, heating systems, plumbing, ductwork, and more. Repairs for most of these systems are capped at $2,500 per item.
- ShieldGold ($44.27 per month): The ShieldGold plan covers 23 home systems and appliances, including those offered in ShieldSilver plus clothes washers, clothes dryers, dishwashers, built-in microwaves, ovens, and refrigerators.
- ShieldPlatinum ($64.27 per month): ShieldPlatinum includes a total of 27 systems and appliances and is one of the most premium home warranty policies in New York. Coverage caps for this plan level are more than double the previous plans, with a per-item limit of $6,000. ShieldPlatinum policyholders will also get unlimited A/C refrigerant, one free HVAC system tune-up per year, and coverage for code and permit violations.
You can also add the following coverage riders to your AHS home warranty:
- Pools and spas — $24 per month
- Electronics protection plan — $14 per month
- Guest unit — $15.99 per month
- Roof leak protection — $10 per month
- Well pumps — $8 per month
- Septic pumps — $5 per month
To get a free quote from American Home Shield, fill out this online form or call 888-365-2839. For more information, read our American Home Shield Review.
Cinch Home Services — Best Workmanship Guarantee
- Average Annual Cost: $636
- Response Time: Within 48 hours
Cinch Home Services stands by its workmanship. Boasting one of the strongest guarantees in the business, it gives New York homeowners added peace of mind. An added benefit of Cinch home warranties is that every plan provides coverage for unknown pre-existing conditions as well as rust and corrosion.
Why We Chose Cinch Home Services
We gave Cinch Home Services a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars, namely for having the best workmanship guarantee in the industry. Covering home repairs with a 180-day workmanship warranty, New York homeowners won’t need to worry about paying additional service fees for any potential repeat breakdowns. Given that the average workmanship warranty is around 60 days across the home warranty industry, Cinch goes above and beyond to back the quality of its contractors’ craftsmanship.
Pros and Cons of Choice Home Warranty
- Offers a 180-day workmanship warranty for all repairs and replacements — six times longer than the typical 30-day guarantee
- Comes with a $150 home insurance deductible
- Policyholders have exclusive access to new appliance discounts
- No roof leak protection available, not even as an optional add-on
Plans and Pricing
Cinch offers three plans tailored to your needs and budgets. Homeowners can opt for an appliance-only plan, a systems-only plan, or a combination of the two for more comprehensive coverage.
- Appliance Plan ($44.99 per month): Includes coverage for 12 essential home appliances such as clothes dryers, clothes washers, cooktops, dishwashers, built-in food centers, built-in microwaves, and more.
- Built-in Systems Plan ($51.99 per month): Includes coverage for 16 major home systems including air conditioning, attic fans, ceiling fans, central vacuum, doorbells, electrical, heating, and more.
- Complete Home Plan ($61.99 per month): Combines all inclusions in the Appliance and Built-in Systems Plans, and throws in a home insurance deductible reimbursement of $500.
If you’re looking to go beyond what’s included in Cinch’s standard coverage, policyholders can also purchase:
- Pool (includes heater) — $22 per month
- Spa (includes heater) — $22 per month
- Septic tank and related pumping — $4.58 per month
- Well pump — $12.50 per month
- Premier Upgrade Package (coverage for permits and code upgrades) — $12.50 per month
The Home Service Club — Quickest Service
- Average Annual Cost: $650 – $800
- Response Time: Within 24 hours
Tracking down a technician in New York, especially if you’re located in busier metropolitan areas, can be time-consuming, and likely not next day. HSC ensures that its policyholders have access to prompt professional help, and especially so in emergency scenarios.
Why We Chose The Home Service Club
We scored The Home Service Club (HSC) with 4.6 out of 5 stars, rewarding it specifically for having the quickest home warranty coverage. HSC activates its customers’ coverage just ten days after signing your contract agreement — a record time compared to the standard 30-day waiting period of other leading providers. The Home Service Club also promises to start the contractor outreach process within two to four hours of receiving your initial service request.
Having been in business for nearly 14 years, The Home Service Club is committed to helping homeowners secure the servicing they need with little to no wait time. And if you like to “shop local,” you’ll be happy to know that The Home Service Club was founded in New York.
Pros and Cons of Choice Home Warranty
- Coverage starts just ten days after sign-up, compared to competing providers with 30-day waiting periods
- Both plans offer comprehensive coverage for appliances and systems
- More than 13 years of experience in the industry
- No basic or cheap plan option
Plans and Pricing
The Home Service Club has two primary policies for homeowners: the Standard Coverage plan and the Comprehensive Coverage plan. Customers who choose Comprehensive Coverage for their home will be covered for 15 more items than the Standard Coverage plan for just under $14 more per month. HSC’s coverage caps are slightly more generous than the industry average, varying between $350 and $2,500 depending on the item.
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): The Standard Coverage plan is the most basic option from HSC. It includes 18 covered items such as air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heaters, electrical systems, central vacuum, dishwashers, refrigerators, trash compactors, ovens, and more. Standard Coverage tends to be one of the most popular New York choices because of its value mix of system and appliance coverage.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.90 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage plan has fifteen more covered items than HSC’s Standard Coverage. This more advanced policy level also throws in coverage for gas leaks, ductwork, sump pumps, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust fans, and more.
HSC has ten optional coverage add-ons available for customers who wish to further personalize their plan:
- Jetted bathtubs — $199.95 per year
- In-ground pools and spas — $199.95 per year
- Refrigerators with dual compressors (includes built-in fridges and fridges with top freezers, bottom freezers, and french doors) — $225.95 per year
- Roof leak repairs — $199.95 per year
- Sewage ejector pumps — $99.95 per year
- Second freezer — $59.95 per year
- Second refrigerator — $59.95 per year
- Second dishwasher — $59.95 per year
- Second water heater — $149.95 per year
- Sprinkler system — $114.95 per year
- Utility line coverage (includes outside water lines, gas lines, sewer lines, electric lines, grinder pumps, and sprinkler systems) — $249.95 per year
- Well pumps — $129.95 per year
To get a free quote from The Home Service Club, fill out this online form.
For more information, read our The Home Service Club Review.
How Much Does a Home Warranty in New York Cost?
According to our nationwide study on the average cost of home warranties in each state, a home warranty in New York costs around $800 per year or $66 per month. Based on the $601 annual coverage cost across the providers featured on our site, a home warranty in New York is slightly more expensive than surrounding northeastern states. Still, the amount you’ll pay to cover your individual home will depend on the size of your property, the coverage level you select, and whether or not you opt for any additional plan riders.
Alongside your primary premium, you’ll also need to factor in a service fee each time you file a claim for a new issue. Service fees can range anywhere from $60 to $150 per appointment. Based on our market research, we found that the industry average service fee sits at around $76.55.
Understanding annual coverage limits is another great way to maximize the payout of your policy. A coverage cap is the maximum amount that a home warranty provider will pay for a specific home system or appliance fix. Given that the average annual coverage limit is approximately $3,072 per item, we recommend sticking with companies that offer at least $3,000 for essential items in your home. Add-ons tend to be capped at around $500 per year. Larger coverage caps simply lower the likelihood of any out-of-pocket charges for appliance or system repairs, especially for those with higher-end items around the home.
The table below provides some average plan pricing based on your home type in New York.
|Home Over 5,000 sq ft||$1,232.50|
|Home Under 5,000 sq ft||$800.43|
Compare the Best Home Warranty Companies in New York
|Home Warranty Company||Choice Home Warranty||Liberty Home Guard||Select Home Warranty||American Home Shield||Cinch Home Services||The Home Service Club|
|Best For||Best Overall||Most Trustworthy||Most Cost-Effective Plans||Best Customization Options||Best WorkmanshipGuarantee||Fastest Service|
|Average Cost||$50 per month||$70 per month||$60 per month||$45 per month||$53 per month||$56 per month|
|Annual Limit||$3,000||$2,000-$2,500||$2,000||$3,000 to unlimited||$10,000||$350-$2,000|
|Average Response Time||Up to 48 hours||Within 24 hours||Up to 48 hours||Up to 48 hours||Within 24 hours||Within 24 hours|
|State Availability||49 States||47 States||46 States||49 States||49 States||50 States|
|Online Chat / Mobile App||No||Online Chat||No||No||No||No|
|Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
Final Thoughts — Is a Home Warranty in New York Worth It?
A New York home warranty is worth it if you don’t have the first-hand expertise to fix a home appliance or system on your own when they break down. It can also help you avoid having to fork over four figures for a repair or replacement, all by paying a few hundred dollars in advance.
Brandelyn Jones, a RealtorⓇ with Realty One Group in Goodyear, Arizona, says home warranties are definitely worth it for the average homeowner, whether you live in a condo or a single-family home. “I’m of the old ‘better safe than sorry’ mindset,” Brandelyn said. “If I have to pay, say $500 per year just for some peace of mind, then it’s worth it. These days there’s very little that you can repair in your home for much less than $500.”
Across the six providers featured in this article, Choice Home Warranty stands out as the overall best option for New York homeowners. With plans starting at $45, Choice’s premiums sit well below the industry-average monthly premium of $51.61. Choice Home Warranty also offers a modest list of optional add-ons for New Yorkers looking to level-up their standard coverage.
As you compare your top contenders, it makes sense to get quotes from a few different companies to ensure that you choose a plan that’ll work for your specific coverage needs. To find the best home warranty in New York, be sure to pay close attention to comparable plan options, pricing details, service fees, customer reviews, and add-ons before signing onto a service.
What is a Home Warranty?
A New York home warranty is an annual service contract that will protect your finances from unforeseen expenses related to home system and home appliance repairs. The next time your dishwasher stalls or you discover a blockage in your plumbing system, your home warranty provider will step in to directly lower your out-of-pocket costs in exchange for a pre-paid premium. Home warranties exclusively cover normal wear on most built-in systems and appliances throughout your New York home. Most of the time, coverage for a home warranty plan will start about 30 days after sign-up.
Home Warranty vs. Homeowners Insurance
Home warranties and home insurance policies are often compared because they provide financial assistance when things go wrong in or around your home. However, there are some key differences between these two home protection plans that you should understand.
First, home insurance policies typically only kick in if you experience a catastrophe, like damage from a fallen tree, a severe weather event, a fire, or some other natural disaster. In contrast, a home warranty provides coverage in less severe instances, like when your appliances break down from constant use, or you experience a routine issue with your plumbing, electrical, HVAC, or heating systems.
Second, home warranties and homeowners insurance cover different things. Homeowners insurance is a whole-house policy that provides a single payout for major damage done to your home. A home warranty instead provides protection for individual appliances and home systems, so the coverage kicks in when a routine repair, maintenance, or replacement is needed.
Finally, the out-of-pocket costs you’ll experience will differ between home warranties and homeowners insurance policies. Home insurance typically includes a sizable deductible that reaches into the thousands of dollars. Once the deductible is paid, the insurance covers costs up to a very high limit. A home warranty instead requires a small service fee that averages around $85 per service call. The warranty will then cover up to its coverage caps, which can be as low as $1,500 on average or be unlimited in some instances.
How Does a Home Warranty in New York Work?
Securing a home warranty is a breeze. You need to choose the service provider you want, select the plan that best fits your needs and budget, and pay for the plan. You can also choose add-on services if the base plan doesn’t have exactly what you’re looking for.
Using a home warranty policy is also not complicated. You can follow the steps below to request service:
- Identify an issue in your home that is covered by your home warranty
- Submit a claim with your home warranty service provider via their online system or by calling in
- Once you have submitted the claim, it will be assigned to a local contractor or repair person
- The claim is usually dealt with in a 24 to 48-hour period, and the only cost to the homeowner should be the service fee.
Remember: for expensive repairs or high-end appliances, you will want to ensure you choose a policy with a higher coverage cap to keep your out-of-pocket costs down once the repair begins.
What Does a New York Home Warranty Cover?
A home warranty plan will cover systems and appliances experiencing issues because of normal wear. Home warranty plans typically have three categories of coverage, including appliance plans, systems plans, and add-on coverages.
Here’s a general overview of what a standard home warranty in New York typically includes:
Hot Water Heaters
|Septic Tank Pumping|
Limited Roof Leaks
Pools and Spas
Be sure to check your service contract for specifics on coverage, as each one varies. For example, one company might offer pool coverage, but doesn’t include issues with jets or motors. Another company might include those items, but for an additional fee. It’s important to choose your plan carefully and understand the limitations so that you’re not hit with unexpected charges if your warranty doesn’t cover something that gets damaged.
What is Not Covered by a Home Warranty in New York?
It’s essential for New York homeowners to understand that a home warranty, no matter where you live, won’t cover everything. Some common exclusions include damage related to:
- Known pre-existing conditions
- Poor routine maintenance or neglect
- Improper installation or mismatched components
- Intentional misuse of an item
- Cosmetic damages (scratches, dings, dents, etc.)
- Natural disasters or any coverage overlaps with home insurance
- Pests, invasive wildlife, vermin, or household pets
Biggest Complaints about Home Warranty Companies in New York
Most homeowners are pleased with the coverage and services they receive from their home warranty provider, but there are some complaints that pop up more often than others in New York.
One of the most common complaints about home warranties is that they fail to cover some items that homeowners expect them to include. For example, pool coverage as an add-on service typically isn’t all-inclusive. It’s common for damages to jets and liners not to be covered, so make sure you understand coverage limitations before you commit to a home warranty.
Another common complaint is that the out-of-pocket costs were higher for repairs than expected. Most home warranties come with coverage caps per item and per year. If your coverage ever exceeds those maximums, you’ll be on the hook for the difference. The most common coverage that falls short is full replacement of major kitchen appliances, like refrigerators.
Home Warranty Resources
- What is a Home Warranty?
- How Much Do Home Warranties Cost?
- Is a Home Warranty Worth It for You?
- Best Home Warranties in 2023
- Do Your Appliances Need Extended Warranties?
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a home warranty cost in New York?
The cost of a home warranty in New York varies. According to quotes we received while secret shopping, a monthly premium in upstate New York typically ranges from $30-$60, while the premium for a plan in New York City is likely to be $50-$75 a month. However, rates vary from company to company, so it’s best to get two to three quotes to select your best price.
What doesn’t a home warranty cover?
Typically, home service contracts only apply to breakdowns that happen due to wear and tear on a covered item. Unless otherwise stated, the following conditions usually aren’t covered:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Damage due to accidents or neglect
- Improper repairs or modifications to the item
- Manufacturer’s defects
- Rust, corrosion and sediment
- Mold and mildew
- Intentional damage
Do I need a home warranty if I’m not currently buying or selling a house?
Although home warranties most often come up in real estate transactions, appliances and systems can break down and wear out at any time, even when you’re not buying or selling a house. Whether it’s a systems or appliances plan or a combo plan, a home warranty can grant you peace of mind and protect your wallet from unexpected costs.
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.
Find the Best Home Warranty Providers in Other States