Using a heat pump is one of the most efficient ways to heat and cool your home, but, as with any heating and cooling equipment, you’re likely to run into issues with your heat pump from time to time. Since this equipment is responsible for keeping your home comfortable and at a safe temperature year-round, outages and issues can quickly turn into emergencies, and expensive ones at that.
The Best Home Warranty Companies for Heat Pumps in 2023
We assess home warranty companies based on many different factors, including coverage options, pricing, and customer reviews. For this list, in particular, we gave precedence to companies that provide ample heat pump coverage to ensure your equipment is adequately protected.
Let’s take a look at the best home warranty companies for heat pump protection.
- Choice Home Warranty — Best overall
- Liberty Home Guard — Most Trustworthy
- Select Home Warranty — Most Cost-Effective Plans
- American Home Shield — Best Customizable Plans
- The Home Service Club — Quickest Service
1. Choice Home Warranty — Best Overall
Choice Home Warranty has been serving homeowners across the country for over 13 years. It has outstanding customer reviews, easy-to-understand home warranty contracts — including sample contracts to peruse — and coverage limits, and high coverage caps to provide extensive coverage. Choice Home Warranty also provides excellent customer service, and all of its plans cover major systems and appliances, which is uncommon in the industry.
- 90-day workmanship guarantee for all repairs
- Complete heating system coverage for as little as $42 per month
- 18 included coverage options plus 9 add-on options
Plans, Cost, and Coverage
Choice Home Warranty has two plans available: the Basic Plan and the Total Plan. Both options include heating system coverage, so your heat pump will be protected no matter which you choose. The plans both offer appliance and home system coverage and can be customized with add-on options, which are listed below.
- Basic Plan ($42/month): The Basic Plan covers many appliances, including ovens, cooktops, dishwashers, built-in microwaves, and garbage disposals. It also includes coverage for heating systems (including heat pumps), electrical systems, plumbing systems, plumbing stoppages, water heaters, spa bathtubs, garage door openers, HVAC ductwork, and ceiling and exhaust fans.
- Total Plan ($53.33/month): The Total plan covers everything in the Basic Plan, plus air conditioners, refrigerators, clothes washers, and clothes dryers.
- Optional Add-Ons: The above plans can be customized with nine add-on options, including pools/spas, second refrigerators, central vacuums, well pumps, sump pumps, septic systems, septic system pumping, roof leaks (limited coverage), and stand-alone freezers.
- Service Fee: $85
If you think Choice Home Warranty is the right option for you, you can fill out this online form or call the home warranty service provider directly at 929-400-6164 for a free quote.
You can also read more about the company in our complete Choice Home Warranty review.
2. Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard has been an integral part of the home warranty industry since 2017. While it’s a relatively young company in the space, it has established a name for itself with a massive range of coverage options, excellent customer service, and coverage you can trust. Liberty Home Guard has an A rating with the BBB, which is outstanding, and all work is backed by a 60-day workmanship guarantee to provide peace of mind.
- Easy claims process that makes getting coverage a breeze
- Complete appliance and home systems coverage starting at less than $1.50 per day
- A massive 42 optional add-ons for complete plan customization
Plans, Cost, and Coverage
Liberty Home Guard offers homeowners three plans, two of which include coverage for heat pump systems — the Systems Guard Plan and the Total Home Guard plan — and one of which covers appliances only — the Appliance Guard plan. The coverage caps are below the industry average at around $1,500 per covered item, but the coverage is reliable. The plan coverages are detailed below.
- Appliance Guard ($64.99/month): The Appliance Guard plan only covers appliances, which include your refrigerator, oven, microwave, cooktop exhaust fan, dishwasher, ice maker, garbage disposal, garage door opener, ceiling fans, washer, and dryer.
- Systems Guard ($69.99/month): The Systems Guard plan includes all major home systems, including heating equipment (like heat pumps), electrical, plumbing, and air conditioning systems. The plan also includes coverage for HVAC ductwork, toilets, water heaters, and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Total Home Guard ($74.99/month): The Total Home Guard plan covers everything in the Appliance and Systems Guard plans for just $5 to $10 more per month.
- Optional Add-Ons: The list of add-on coverages is quite long, offering plenty of customization. The added items include pest control, saltwater pools, pools and spas, additional spas, floor or carpet cleaning, gutter cleaning, fixtures, sump pumps, ejector pumps, lawn sprinkler systems, water softeners, swamp coolers, trash compactors, electronics, septic systems, roof leaks, rekeys, central vacuum systems, ice makers, stand-alone freezers, wine fridges, second refrigerators, TVs and PCs, generators, well pumps, and water dispensers.
- Service Fee: $75
To contact Liberty Home Guard, you can fill out this contact request form or call the company at 866-451-2281.
You can also read more about its plans and coverage options in our Liberty Home Guard review.
3. Select Home Warranty — Most Cost-Effective Plans
Select Home Warranty has been in the home warranty industry since 2012, so it, too, has plenty of experience protecting homeowners’ appliances and home systems in stand-alone and combo plans. The company maintains a B rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which is quite high in this industry. Select Home Warranty has some of the most affordable plans that provide outstanding value for the money.
- Total coverage for as little as $57 per month
- Low service fee of just $60 per service call
- All plans include roof leak coverage as an added bonus
Plans, Cost, and Coverage
Select Home Warranty offers three different plans: Bronze, Gold, and Platinum. The Bronze Plan is an appliance-only option, so only the Gold and Platinum plans include heat pump coverage. The Platinum Plan is the most comprehensive and includes all appliances and home systems in the other two options.
- Bronze Plan ($52/month): The Bronze Plan covers appliances only, including your oven, cooktop, fridge, garbage disposal, microwave, washer, and dryer.
- Gold Plan ($52/month): The Gold Plan is the systems plan option from Select Home Warranty. This plan includes protection for your heating system (including heat pumps), electrical, plumbing, and central air conditioning systems. HVAC ductwork and hot water heaters are also included.
- Platinum Plan ($57/month): The Platinum Plan includes everything in the Bronze and Gold plans for just $5 more per month. It also adds on ceiling fans, plumbing blockages, and garage door openers, making it the best value in the industry.
- Optional Add-Ons: Optional coverages include pools, spas, well pumps, sump pumps, septic systems, roof leaks, central vacuum systems, in-ground sprinkler systems, and stand-alone freezers.
- Service Fee: $60
To get a free quote for coverage from Select Home Warranty, you can fill out this contact form or speak with a representative by calling 888-370-3953.
For more information on this company, you can check out our Select Home Warranty review.
4. American Home Shield — Best Customizable Plans
American Home Shield is an industry veteran with over 50 years of experience, making it one of the most experienced home warranty companies in the U.S. Over its long stint in home warranty services, AHS has maintained generally positive customer reviews, a record of customer satisfaction, and a relatively high BBB rating of B. American Home Shield offers a large range of additional coverage options for total customization.
- Over 30 coverage options in pre-made plans and add-on services
- Low monthly prices starting at just $39.99 per month
- Customizable service fee from $75 to $150 based on coverage requested
Plans, Cost, and Coverage
American Home Shield has three plan options available: ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, and ShieldPlatinum. All three plans include heat pump coverage, and you can customize any of them with add-ons if needed. The covered items in each plan are detailed below.
- ShieldSilver ($39.99/month): This plan covers all home systems but excludes appliances. It protects your plumbing, electrical, air conditioning, and heating systems, including heat pumps. It also covers HVAC ductwork, water heaters, smoke alarms, and garage door openers.
- ShieldGold ($49.99/month): The ShieldGold Plan includes everything in the ShieldSilver Plan, plus many appliances. These include your fridge, oven, range, microwave, dishwasher, water dispensers, garbage disposal, washer, and dryer.
- ShieldPlatinum ($64.99/month): The ShieldPlatinum Plan protects everything in the two previous plans. It adds in AC refrigerant refills and an annual HVAC tune-up, and it comes with lower service fees and higher coverage caps.
- Optional Add-Ons: Add-on products include extended warranties for electronics, PCs and TVs, guest units, well pumps, septic pumps, and pools and spas.
- Service Fee: $75, $100, or $125, depending on your plan
If you think American Home Shield is right for you, you can contact the company at 888-365-2839 or fill out this contact form for a free estimate for coverage.
Check out our in-depth American Home Shield review for more information.
5. The Home Service Club — Quickest Service
The Home Service Club was founded in 2008 and has been providing appliance and home system protection to homeowners all over the country ever since. The company is best known for having minimal delay between signing up and getting coverage, with a wait time of just 10 days as opposed to the industry standards between 30 and 90 days. The Home Service Club also has very fast response times to service calls, making it a good option for those who need coverage in emergency situations, like when a heat pump goes down.
- Just a 10-day wait from signing up to full coverage kicking in
- Service fees as low as $60 per service call, some of the lowest in the industry
- 13 add-on services for plan customization
Plans, Cost, and Coverage
The Home Service Club has two plans available: the Standard Coverage Plan and the Comprehensive Coverage Plan. Both plans offer heat pump and heating system coverage, and the Comprehensive Plan includes some additional items that aren’t included in the lower-tier plan. Both plans are a great value, but they are a bit on the expensive side comparatively.
- Standard Coverage Plan ($53/month): This plan covers major appliances — including your refrigerator, oven, range, microwave, garbage disposal, dishwasher, trash compactor, washer, and dryer — as well as several home systems — including heat pumps and heating systems, plumbing, AC, and electrical systems, central vacuum systems, and ceiling fans.
- Comprehensive Coverage Plan ($63/month): The Comprehensive Plan covers everything in the Standard Plan, plus sump pumps, plumbing stoppages, HVAC ductwork, water pumps, ceiling fans, whole-house fans, pest control, smoke detectors, water dispensers, spa tubs, and water leaks.
- Optional Add-Ons: If you choose The Home Service Club, you can customize either plan with add-on coverages, including comprehensive outdoor utility lines, pools, spas, roof leaks, sprinkler systems, stand-alone freezers, sewage ejector pumps, built-in refrigerators, well pumps, water softeners, and jetted bathtubs.
- Service Fee: $60, $75, or $90, depending on your plan choices
You can fill out this form to get a free quote for coverage from The Home Service Company, or you can call them directly at 800-842-9334.
For more information on coverage and options, check out our complete review of The Home Service Club.
What is a Home Warranty for Heat Pumps
A home warranty plan offers coverage that runs in parallel with your homeowner’s insurance, but it covers things that aren’t typically covered by insurance policies, like system failures and appliance breakdowns. A home warranty for heat pumps is one that includes coverage for your heating system or HVAC system, which, if you have a heat pump, will cover your heat pump and related equipment.
A heat pump warranty is a great thing to have because heating systems are often under a lot of stress to keep your home at a comfortable and safe indoor temperature. With normal wear and tear, your heat pump becomes increasingly likely to experience malfunctions or even break down, leading to potentially dangerous situations in the winter and high repair or replacement costs.
Heat pump repair averages around $400 and can total around $7,000 if you need a full replacement. A heat pump warranty lets you pay far less than this, on average, even for severe problems, ultimately saving you money in the long run.
Who Needs a Home Warranty for Heat Pumps?
Of course, homeowners who have heat pump systems for heating or cooling their homes will generally benefit from a heat pump warranty. They are especially useful for homeowners who live in extreme climates — like Texas, California, Maine, Nevada, and Alaska — where the heat pump functionality is necessary for safe living conditions. They also tend to be most beneficial for first-time homeowners buying a new home with a heat pump and for those who live in aging homes with older heat pump systems that are more likely to fail.
With that being said, most heat pump home warranties cover heating systems in general and not just heat pumps. Therefore, they can save just about any homeowner money over time, especially since they cover other systems and appliances as well. They’re a great option for those whose manufacturer’s warranty is running out as well, as they can help maintain the required coverage.
What does a Heat Pump Home Warranty Cover?
Heat pump home warranties can all cover different things, but most will include comprehensive coverage for your heating equipment. This includes protection for your outdoor compressor, your refrigerant line, your indoor blower motor, return air ducts if you have them, your evaporator coils, and your indoor cooling and heating units, if applicable. Heat pump home warranties usually cover unexpected damage, outages, and even system replacements, although some coverages come with limitations. Home warranty coverage typically doesn’t include intentional damage, pre-existing conditions, or damage caused by a lack of maintenance.
How Much Does a Heat Pump Home Warranty Cost?
There are no home warranty options for stand-alone heat pump coverage, so any home warranty you get will cover multiple systems along with your heat pump equipment. The average cost per month for a home warranty is between $40 and $60, which includes your heat pump, other home systems, and, in some cases, home appliances as well. The average service call fee — which is paid out of pocket for each service call — is around $80 but can range from $60 up to $150.
How Does a Home Warranty for Heat Pumps Work?
When you have a heat pump home warranty in place, the process of filing a claim is super simple. We’ll detail the steps from start to finish below.
Purchase a Plan
Before you can request service, you have to purchase a plan. Most companies have a waiting period of 10 to 90 days before claims can be filed, so don’t wait until you have an issue with your heat pump to get a home warranty.
Identify an Issue
Once your coverage kicks in, you can keep a close eye out for an issue with your heat pump (or other system or appliance).
File a Claim
Contact your home warranty provider to file a claim. In most cases, you can do this online or via the phone.
Get Service and Pay the Service Fee
Your home warranty company will send a technician out to inspect and fix the issue. You’ll pay just the service fee in most cases, which averages around $80.
Be Aware of Coverage Caps
It’s important to note that you could incur additional costs. Most home warranties have coverage caps, which are maximum amounts they will pay out per covered item. Make sure you’re aware of all item coverage caps and annual maximums.
Home warranties are outstanding protection plans for heat pumps, which are costly to repair and can total several thousands of dollars to replace. Heat pump home warranties can provide peace of mind that your heating and cooling equipment remains in good working order, that you and your family will be safe and comfortable, and that you won’t run into unexpected repair or replacement charges.
Our top picks for heat pump home warranties are Choice Home Warranty and Select Home Warranty. All of the companies mentioned above come highly recommended and provide outstanding service and value for the money.
FAQs About Heat Pump Home Warranties
What is the top home warranty company for heat pumps?
Our top pick for a heat pump home warranty is Choice Home Warranty. This company has two affordable plans that both cover heat pump equipment, along with a variety of other home systems and kitchen appliances. This company has affordable service fees, high coverage caps, and a history of excellent customer service, making it our top pick overall for heat pump coverage.
Is there a deductible for a heat pump home warranty?
Home warranties that cover heat pumps don’t have traditional deductibles. Instead, they require that you pay a monthly premium plus a service fee for each claim you file. The average monthly premium is around $50, and the average service fee is around $80.
What is the difference between a heat pump warranty and a service contract?
A heat pump home warranty covers all issues with your heat pump system, and all you ever pay is a service fee — and overages if the repairs total more than the annual limit, although this is uncommon. You essentially pay a flat fee for service, no matter how severe or expensive the issue is. A service contract is a contract with a repair technician where you pay annually for routine maintenance. Typical service contract exclusions coverage for damages or replacements and instead just help maintain your system over time.
Is a heat pump home warranty worth it?
In most cases, homeowners benefit immensely from heat pump home warranties. The average annual cost is between $500 and $600, but just one service call for a heat pump averages around $400, and total replacements can total over $7,000. You’re very likely to save money with a home warranty that covers heat pumps.
What is a service fee?
A service fee is a flat fee you pay for each claim you file. Rather than paying for the actual repair that your home warranty covers, you pay an average of $80 for a technician to come to fix the issue.
Today's Homeowner Home Warranty Ranking Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader.
To create this rating system, our team spent hours researching over 60 companies, analyzing 2500+ key data points, getting the thoughts and opinions of 1000+ homeowners, and speaking to home warranty company representatives directly. We also dug into the fine print on each company’s service agreement to ensure no detail was left out.
We developed an objective home warranty review and rating methodology to score each home warranty company based on several criteria. We used a five-point scale with a point index ranging from 0.00 to 1.00. The minimum awardable value is 0.0, whereas 1.00 is the maximum. These numeric points are translated into star ratings, using whole star increments between one and five.
Here is a quick breakdown of our five core scoring categories:
- Coverage (0.4): This category evaluates the scope of protection offered by a home warranty provider. We clearly distinguished between limited or broad coverage to help homeowners identify their own home protection needs. We also factor in claim turnaround times, average waiting period lengths, plan types, annual coverage limits, policy exclusions, etc.
- Cost (0.3): This category considers what home warranty companies charge homeowners monthly, annual, and out-of-pocket. We urge homeowners also to consider the cost-to-value ratio of a home warranty plan.
- Transparency and Trustworthiness (0.15): This category evaluates home warranty providers based on pending or past legal action, hidden fees, lack of information readily available on the website, exclusions, and more. We consider how upfront a company is to its potential policyholders, which says a lot about its products and services.
- Customer Support and Satisfaction (.09): This category evaluates the efficacy of a home warranty company’s effort to provide supportive guidance to inquiring customers and how policyholders are satisfied with the assistance they receive.
- Customization (.06): This category evaluates the ability of homeowners to adjust and choose their policy details, such as pricing variation, optional add-ons, and the number of plans available.