Connecticut is a beautiful state to be a homeowner. With quick access to NYC, four lovely seasons, and a beautiful coastline, Connecticut has everything you could ever want. However, as great as CT can be to settle down and own a home, there are always issues that come with being a homeowner. As much as you may enjoy your home, there is always that fear about systems and appliances and whether or not they are going to hold up or make it through the next few years.
Connecticut has a wide range of weather and climate conditions across the state. It is important to consider this when shopping for a home warranty. Home systems and appliances in certain areas will experience considerable wear and tear at times. In our guide featuring the best home warranty companies in Connecticut, we will give you information on how to choose a home warranty, the best home warranty companies, and what to look for in a plan.
Connecticut Top 5 Home Warranty Companies
- Choice Home Warranty: Best Overall
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Trustworthy
- Select Home Warranty: Most Cost-Effective Plans
- American Home Shield: Best Customizable Plans
- The Home Service Club: Quickest Service
1. Choice Home Warranty
- Our Take: Best Overall
- Average Annual Cost: [$550] – [$650]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty in the state of Connecticut. Choice has been on the market for more than 13 years and has maintained a BBB rating of B- or above. When you look at the sizes of home warranty companies across the nation, Choice is a bit one with a lot of coverage. The plans and contracts from Choice Home Warranty are very straightforward and clear-cut. As a Connecticut homeowner with a Choice Home Warranty in place, you will know exactly what your plan covers. With impressive coverage limits nearing $2500 on many appliances and systems, Choice Home Warranty truly works as a partner to protect your home.
Pros and Cons
- Impressive customer service
- Comprehensive plan options that cover both systems and appliances
- 90-Day Repair Guarantee
- No Customization of plan
- 30-Day waiting period to start
Plans and Pricing
There are only two Choice Home Warranty plans to choose from. Choice structures its plans just a bit differently than other companies on the market. With the Choice Home Warranty plan, both of the plan choices are combo plans, covering both systems and appliances. This is an excellent option for those undecided about which plan type could be best for their home. In addition to these two policies, Choice offers a wide range of add-on coverage that can help you adequately protect your Connecticut home. The service fee from Choice Home Warranty is just $85.
Here’s a detailed look at Choice Home Warranty’s coverage:
- Basic Plan ($42 per month): The Basic Plan from Choice Home Warranty covers 13 items, including plumbing system, ceiling fans, garbage disposal, heating system, cooktop exhaust fans, microwave, dishwasher, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener, oven, toilet, and water heater. Having a mix of systems and appliances among covered items is a great benefit.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): The Total Plan from Choice Home Warranty is the more comprehensive plan and covers all 13 items in the Basic Plan, plus an additional four items. The Total Plan includes the clothes washer, dryer, refrigerator, and air conditioner coverage. This home warranty coverage is a bit broader than the Basic Plan, making it an excellent value.
Choice Home Warranty has several add-on coverages that you can attach to either of its plans.
- Roof leak coverage (single-family homes only)
- Central Vacuum
- Septic Tank
- Well Pump
- Spa (Can be combined with pool coverage if the equipment is shared)
- Sump Pump (must be permanently installed)
- Stand Alone Freezer
To get a free quote from Choice Home Warranty, fill out this online form or call 929-400-6164.
Read the full Choice Home Warranty Review.
2. Liberty Home Guard
- Our Take: Most Trustworthy
- Average Annual Cost: [$649] – [$749]
- Response Time: Within 24 hours
Liberty Home Guard is the most trustworthy home warranty in the state of Connecticut. A company that is trustworthy will follow up on all claims, have quick service, and be fair about what they accept and deny. With only two years in the industry, Liberty Home Guard has earned a BBB rating of an A. This is almost unheard of in the home warranty industry, but LHG has managed to pull it off. The fact that Liberty Home Guard is a newer company also means they have good modern systems in place for claim submittal and the overall customer experience process.
Pros and Cons
- BBB rating of an A after a short time in the industry
- Easy to use customer claim portal
- A large list of add-on coverages
- No plan customization
- Has only been on the market for a few years
Plans and Pricing
Even with just three years in the industry Liberty Home Guard has put together an impressive range of coverage for their customers. There are three plans to choose from, systems, appliances, and combo or comprehensive plan. In addition, the list of add-on coverages is going to be longer than almost any other company in the market. If you want to start with a more basic plan and add on a few options, that is a real possibility with Liberty Home Guard. The service fee from LHG is $75.
Here’s a detailed look at Liberty Home Guard’s coverage:
- Appliance Guard ($64.99 per month): The Appliance Guard plan from Liberty Home Guard has coverage for 11 major appliances, including garage door opener, ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fan, oven, refrigerator, garbage disposal, dishwasher, microwave, clothes washer, clothes dryer, and refrigerator ice-maker.
- Systems Guard ($69.99 per month): The Systems Guard plan is a systems-only option with nine systems. These systems are the electrical system, air conditioner, bath exhaust fan, heating system, toilet, ductwork, plumbing and plumbing stoppages, and water heater.
- Total Home Guard ($74.99 per month): The Total Home Guard is the best value from LHG. Total Home Guard has more than 20 covered systems and appliances. If you want a plan that covers appliances and systems, the Total Home Guard is the best overall option.
Liberty Home Guard has one of the most extensive lists of add-on coverages in the industry; these will include:
- Pool and spa
- Additional spa (Billed as an extra to the pool system)
- Saltwater pool
- Gutter cleaning
- Floor/carpet cleaning
- Sump pump
- Water softener
- Trash compactor
- Lawn sprinkler system (all mechanical parts)
- Electronics protection
- Swamp cooler
- Ejector pump
- Septic system pumping
- Limited roof leak
- Pest control
- Free-standing ice maker
- Central vacuum
- Stand-alone freezer
- Second refrigerator
- Wine refrigerator
- Well pump
- TV and PC
- Water dispenser
To get a free quote from Liberty Home Guard, fill out this online form or call 866-451-2281.
To learn more information, visit our Liberty Home Guard review.
3. Select Home Warranty
- Our Take: Most Cost Effective
- Average Annual Cost: [$579] – [$650]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
Select Home Warranty is the most cost-effective home warranty plan for Connecticut homeowners. When purchasing a home warranty, it is essential to make sure that the cost of the plan is justified and that it will make sense for your home long term. Having a monthly budget in place is intelligent for homeowners, and Select Home Warranty allows you to keep your finances in order and your budget in place. Select Home Warranty coverage is strong and considered to be a great value. In addition, all Select Home Warranty customers will get free roof leak coverage with the purchase of any plan. It will only take a few repairs to justify the cost of an entire year of the Select Home Warranty plan.
Pros and Cons
- High workmanship quality
- Free roof coverage
- Good selection of appliance plan, systems plan, and combo plan
- Must file a claim within three days
- Coverage caps can be lower
Plans and Pricing
There are three Select Home Warranty plans to choose from. The systems plan, appliances plan, and combo plan are your three choices, and they give a good variety of coverage and pricing options. When you look at the cost of the combo plan is just a few dollars more per month than the systems or appliance plan, you can see what a great value it is. There are also some paid additions that you can use to customize the coverage of your plan. The coverage caps from Select usually max out at around $2000. The service fee is $65, one of the lowest in the industry.
Here’s a detailed look at Select Home Warranty’s coverage:
- Bronze Care ($52 per month): The Bronze Care plan is an appliance-only home warranty plan. This plan covers seven major appliances, including a refrigerator, built-in microwave, clothes washer and dryer, oven, garbage disposal, and cooktop.
- Gold Care ($52 per month): The Gold Care plan is a system-only plan from Select Home Warranty. There is coverage for six systems; plumbing, air conditioning, heating, water heaters, electrical systems, and ductwork. Even though this plan has just six major systems, it also has free roof leak coverage provided.
- Platinum Care ($58 per month): The Platinum Care plan will include all of the appliances under the Bronze Care plan and all of the systems under the Gold Care Plan. For just a few extra dollars per month, the Platinum Care Plan is your best option from a financial perspective.
Select Home Warranty has several add-on coverages that you can attach to either of its plans; roof leak coverage is included without having to pay extra.
- Central vacuums (Does not include clogged pipes)
- Lawn sprinkler systems
- Pools (Can combine with spa coverage if the equipment is shared)
- Stand-alone freezers
- Sump pump (must be within the foundation of the home)
- Well pump
Select Home Warranty will give you a free quote after filling out this form or calling 888-370-3953.
Read our Select Home Warranty review to learn more.
4. American Home Shield
- Our Take: Best Customizable Plans
- Average Annual Cost: [$479] – [$779]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
American Home Shield is the most customizable plan in the home warranty industry. Connecticut has all different types of homes, and to say one plan is adequate for all of them, is a mistake. American Home Shield realizes that people have made customizations and changes to their homes that require unique policies. The American Home Shield company has been offering home warranties for more than 50 years. This is a very long time to be in the business and to maintain a BBB rating of a B. If you want premium coverage, impressive plan options, and some of the highest coverage limits in the market, AHS is your plan.
Pros and Cons
- 50 years of industry experience
- Low chance of claim denial
- 24/7 online support for your home warranty plan
- Cancellation fees if canceled after the first 30 days
- Pricing for some plans is considerably higher
Plans and Pricing
The American Home Shield home warranty has three basic options for you to start with. American Home Shield allows you to customize the payment plan and pricing of your plan in addition to the coverages. The ShieldPlatinum is one of the most premium home warranty protection plans in the industry. Service fees from American Home Shield range from $75 to $125.
Here’s a detailed look at American Home Shield’s coverage:
- ShieldSilver™ ($39.99 per month): The ShieldSilver plan covers 14 home systems, including air conditioning, electrical system, smoke alarms, water heater, central vacuums, doorbells, garage door opener, heating system, garbage disposals, ceiling fans, instant hot/cold water dispenser plumbing, and ductwork.
- ShieldGold™ ($49.99 per month): ShieldGold is the combo plan covering both systems and appliances. There are 23 home systems and appliances on this plan. The ShieldGold plan has additional coverages, including a clothes washer, dishwasher, clothes dryer, microwave, oven, and refrigerator. ShieldGold allows you systems coverage with a few appliances to improve overall home protection.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($64.99 per month): The ShieldPlatinum plan includes 27 systems and appliances. Pricing for ShieldPlatinum is slightly higher, but it is one of the more premium home warranty plan choices in the state of CT. Having home appliances and home systems under one plan will significantly improve your peace of mind and ensure that your coverage options are adequately protecting your home.
American Home Shield also offers several add-on coverages for homeowners to consider.
- Septic system (first-year customers only, nonrenewable)
- TV (includes home theater system)
- Well pump coverage
To get a free quote from American Home Shield, you can fill out this form or call 888-365-2839.
To read more, visit our American Home Shield review.
5. The Home Service Club
- Our Take: Quickest Service
- Average Annual Cost: [$600] – [$756]
- Response Time: Within 24 hours
The Home Service Club has the quickest coverage of any home warranty provider in Connecticut. With close to 13 years of industry experience, The Home Service Club is a trusted provider. The service contract from The Home Service Club will begin just ten days after paying for the policy. This is about 20 days faster than most other home warranty plans on the market. With The Home Service Club, the total number of covered items this plan offers is relatively high, and coverage caps typically go up to about $2500.
Pros and Cons
- 13 years of industry experience
- Policy starts in just ten days
- Positive customer reviews
- No plan customization
- Does not have an ultimately budget-friendly cheap plan option
Plans and Pricing
The Home Service Club has two plans for customers to choose from. The plans are the Standard Coverage and the Comprehensive Coverage. The Comprehensive Coverage Plan at $63 per month will offer total home protection. Many homeowners find that what other companies consider add-on coverage is included as part of the Comprehensive Coverage plan. Overall the service fees from The Home Service Club are customizable, ranging from $65 to $125.
Here’s a detailed look at The Home Service Club’s coverage:
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): The Home Service Club Standard Coverage Plan has 18 covered items, including air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more. Most of the major systems and appliances are covered under this plan, with coverage for replacement costs included.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.00 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage Plan from The Home Service Club has 33 covered items. These extra coverages include gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more. Many coverages under the Comprehensive Coverage plan are considered add-ons from other providers; this can save you quite a bit of money.
The Home Service Club also has plenty of add-on options, starting around $5 per month and increasing from there.
- Well pump
- Service line
- Plumbing sprinkler
- Roof Leak (up to $1000 in coverage)
- Spa heater
- Free standing freezer
- Water softener
- Pool (can be combined with spa coverage if the equipment is shared)
- Sprinkler system
- Pump (Sewage ejector pump)
To get a free quote from The Home Service Club, fill out this online form or call 800-842-9334.
To learn more information, visit our The Home Service Club review.
Home Warranties in Connecticut Cities
How Much Does a Home Warranty in Connecticut Cost?
The average cost of a home warranty in Connecticut will be about $830 per year. The pricing of a home warranty plan will vary depending on the size of your home and the individual coverages that you choose. A home warranty offers add-on coverages as well, but these are going to be optional. In addition to the monthly costs, pay attention to the coverage caps and the service call fee to ensure you are getting a great deal on your home warranty coverage.
|Home Over 5,000 sq ft||$1,294.73|
|Home Under 10,000 sq ft||$787.93|
Compare the Best Home Warranty Companies in Connecticut
|Home Warranty Company||Choice Home Warranty||Liberty Home Guard||Select Home Warranty||American Home Shield||The Home Service Club|
|Best For||Best Overall||Most Trustworthy||Most Cost Effective||Best Customizable Plans||Quickest Service|
|Annual Limit||Up to $3000 per covered item||Up to $2000 per covered item||Up to $2000 per covered item||Up to $6000 per covered item||Up to $2500 per covered item|
|Average Response Time||Up to 48 hours||Within 24 hours||Up to 48 hours||Up to 48 hours||Within 24 hours|
|State Availability||Excludes WA||Excludes WA & WI||Excludes NY, NV, WA, WI||Excludes AK||Available in All States|
|Online Chat / Mobile App||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
We hope you now feel that you have the confidence necessary to purchase a home warranty for your Connecticut home. These five options could all be a great fit, but Choice Home Warranty stands out as the best option on the market. The Choice Home Warranty plan has the experience in the industry, customer service, and impressive coverage to become one of the best home warranty companies that we have ever seen. It is smart to get a few quotes to ensure that the policy you choose is truly the best deal out there.
How to Choose the Best Home Warranty in Connecticut
Hopefully, you feel as though your choices are narrowed down to a reasonable amount. Now it is time to try and choose the best home warranty for your home. There are many factors to look for when choosing a home warranty policy. However, three of the most important are the company’s history, overall pricing, and coverage choices.
- Company History: The history of a company is essential to research before purchasing your plan. Take a look at how many claims they have paid out as compared to how many they have denied. See what customers have to say about the overall plan choices and whether or not they worked for their needs.
- Coverage Choices: Make a list of the items in your home that you want to have covered by the home warranty you have in place. Once you have this list, try and find the plan that most closely matches this list for the fairest price.
- Overall Pricing: When considering the pricing of a plan, be sure to consider the service fees and the coverage caps as well. If a coverage cap is low, you may go over the policy limits before getting your repair or replacement completed.
Connecticut homeowners will have four very full seasons. This means that homes need to be equipped to help homeowners get through both the summer and the winter months. This can bring a bit of wear and tear to the house. Three of the top home maintenance problem areas that Connecticut homeowners experience are plumbing systems, kitchen appliances, and HVAC.
- Plumbing Systems: All homes have plumbing systems, and if you have had a repair lately, you know that plumbers are getting more and more expensive. Having protection against plumbing systems, plumbing repairs, and plumbing stoppages can save you thousands of dollars a year.
- Kitchen Appliances: Kitchen appliances are some of the most used appliances in the home. The problem with kitchen appliances is that they were probably purchased around the same time and will start to experience issues around the same time. The home warranty will help keep these expenses under control.
- HVAC: The HVAC system comes into play during the summer months. Connecticut summers get very warm, and if you don’t have an HVAC system, the cost of repairs will be pretty high.
What is a Home Warranty?
A home warranty is a protection plan that you have in place with a service provider that will help cover the costs of home repairs and replacements of systems and appliances. A home warranty plan is a unique plan that is not mandatory for a homeowner and can be added to both new and old homes. With a home warranty plan in place, you can request service and get a quick response to any of your home warranty-related needs. All home warranty plans have a service fee associated with them that will impact the total costs of the plan.
Home Warranty vs. Homeowners Insurance
A home warranty and homeowners insurance are not the same. Homeowner’s insurance will cover your home in the instance of a natural disaster or a fire. Homeowners insurance is typically mandatory and must be in place before you can purchase real estate. However, homeowners insurance will not help when your microwave stops working, or your plumbing system has an issue. A home warranty protects the day-to-day issues that we face in our home, trying to keep it functional and operating.
How Does a Home Warranty in Connecticut Work?
A home warranty is a bit different than other protection plans that you may have had in the past. With the home warranty, there are specific steps that you should follow to ensure that your claim is handled quickly and efficiently. Most home warranty providers have many years of experience, and that helps with simplifying the claim submittal process.
- Purchase a home warranty policy and wait the 10-30 days before the home warranty will go into full effect; cancellation during this time period is typically free of charge
- If you experience an issue with a home system or appliance, check your policy documents to ensure that you have coverage for this time
- Use the online portal system, a phone call, or a live chat to let a representative know about your home warranty-related issue
- Pay the service call fee before the representative comes to your home to inspect the issue; expect this to happen within 24 to 48 hours after submitting a claim
- Once the issue is inspected, options for repair or replacement costs will be presented to homeowners; if the appliance or system can’t be repaired, the home warranty plan will offer replacement options
- Repairs typically happen in a 24-48 hour period; sometimes, with ordering a part; you may experience a longer wait time
- If any issues occur within the free reservice period, simply let the home warranty provider know, and they will come back and repair the issue free of charge; most plans offer at least a 30-day workmanship guarantee
What does a Home Warranty Cover?
Most home warranty providers will break their home warranty plans down into three categories. These are appliances, systems, and add-on options. The appliances are typically things that you use in your kitchen or laundry room. Many plans will have quite a few appliances included as these usually have lower out-of-pocket costs when it comes to repairs and replacements.
Home systems are probably the most important part of the coverage plan. Home systems are very expensive to repair and replace and require quite a bit of preventative maintenance. Homeowners in CT should look for both heating and air conditioning coverage to ensure they are ready for any weather or climate conditions.
Add-on coverage includes things like sprinkler systems or even pest control. These are typically purchased at a higher price. Many add-on coverages will range from $5 to $20 extra per month. Home warranty plans only cover normal wear, and if you have other issues with preexisting conditions or cosmetic issues, the home warranty will not cover it.
What is Not Covered by a Home Warranty?
Home warranty plans only cover normal wear and tear on systems and appliances. If you intentionally break something or use an appliance or system against the recommended practices of the manufacturer, chances are your claim will be denied.
The most common exclusions from a home warranty plan are:
- Cosmetic issues
- Pre-existing conditions
- Natural disasters
- Lack of maintenance and upkeep
- Intentional breakage
- Misuse of a system or appliance
Biggest Complaints about Home Warranty Companies in Connecticut
Homeowners in Connecticut are generally quite happy with the coverage that they have for their homes. There are, however, times when some problems with home warranty plans can come up. Being aware of these problems from the start is a good way to ensure you are always satisfied with your home warranty.
- Failed Repair: when a home warranty provider contracts with a local technician to complete a repair on your home, they have full confidence that the repair will be completed with no issue. However, there are times when this is not always the case, and the repair takes one or two visits.
- Claim Denial: a home warranty claim can be denied. The most common reason for a claim denial is a preexisting condition. If you have a problem with something in your home prior to starting your home warranty policy, you must get it fixed.
- Waiting on Parts: unfortunately, there are some repairs that will need original parts from a manufacturer. This will take some time to wait for the parts, but the home warranty provider should keep you informed as to when this will happen and how long you will have to wait.
Are home warranties worth it?
Home warranty plans are worth it for Connecticut homeowners. Living in Connecticut means that you need to prepare for a warm summer and a cold winter. This is quite a bit to deal with and will keep any homeowner guessing as to whether or not they can afford the next repair or breakdown that comes their way.
Home warranty plans can help ensure that even if you need a $700 part to repair the air conditioning system in your new home, the payment for this repair may only be your $75 deductible or service fee. Home warranty plans typically only take about one or two major repairs to be able to pay for themselves for the year.
In addition, homeowners will find that service is faster, and you won’t have to search for quality contractors as this will all be handled for you. In the end, it makes sense to protect your home and your budget with a home warranty plan.
FAQs About Connecticut Home Warranties
How much does a home warranty cost in Connecticut?
A Connecticut home warranty can range in cost from around $35 a month to more than $80 per month. You will notice that plans with lots of coverage are going to be priced considerably higher than those that have limited coverage choices. The service fees for these plans will range from $60 to $150.
Be sure to compare costs in order to find a home warranty that’s within your budget.
What is a service fee?
A service fee is a price you pay when a repair needs to be made around your home. For most repairs covered under a home warranty policy, the service fee will be the only cost associated with the repair.
What is the best home warranty company in Connecticut?
The best home warranty in Connecticut is Choice Home Warranty. Choice Home Warranty is an excellent option because of its customer service, professionalism, overall coverage choices, and fair pricing of its plan. It is easy to see why so many Connecticut homeowners use Choice Home Warranty for their homes.
Is a home warranty worth it?
It will only take a few repairs around the home for you to see the value of a home warranty. Think about a dryer and a refrigerator going down in the same month and costing $500 to fix. With a home warranty in place, these two repairs may only cost you a total of $120 in service.
Today's Homeowner Home Warranty Ranking Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader.
To create this rating system, our team spent hours researching over 60 companies, analyzing 2500+ key data points, getting the thoughts and opinions of 1000+ homeowners, and speaking to home warranty company representatives directly. We also dug into the fine print on each company’s service agreement to ensure no detail was left out.
To make the most of our research, we developed an objective home warranty review and rating methodology to score each home warranty company based on several criteria.