When you purchase a dishwasher, most manufacturers include a product warranty with the unit. Still, this doesn’t necessarily mean every component is covered. A home warranty offers something appliance warranties don’t: complete coverage for everyday wear and tear, regardless of how long you’ve owned the item.
The Best Home Warranty Companies for Dishwashers in 2023
Today’s Homeowner’s home warranty editorial team analyzed over 40 home plans across the United States and hand-selected reputable providers with extensive dishwasher protection, generous per-item coverage caps, and overall competitive pricing.
Our top four contenders with the best home warranties for dishwashers are:
Compare Top Home Warranty Companies for Dishwashers
49 states, excluding WA
47 states, excluding NV, WA, and WI
47 states, excluding NV, WA, and WI
49 states, excluding HI
48 states, excluding AK and HI
42 states, excluding AK, HI, MT, NH, ND, OK, SD, and WY
34 states, excluding AK, CT, DE, HI, IL, LA, ME, MA, MN, NH, NJ, NY, ND, RI, VT, and WI
Quote and cost data gathered January 2023. Cost data are updated and monitored continuously.
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty (CHW) sits at the top of our list as our top choice for a home warranty option for dishwasher coverage. Choice has spent over 14 years working to provide homeowners with cost-effective yet comprehensive home protection policies, which is why dishwashers are included in both of its base plan levels. All parts and components of your dishwasher are eligible for coverage through Choice Home Warranty, no matter the age, make, or model of the unit. Your dishwasher, as well as every other appliance and system itemized in your plan level, is covered by an annual payout limit of $3,000 per item.
- Customers can submit a claim or get in touch with a customer service agent at any time — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- All maintenance work performed by any of CHW’s in-network technicians is guaranteed for 90 days on parts and 30 days on labor.
- New joiners will receive their first month of coverage free of charge
- The Basic Plan ($45 per month / $560 per year): Covers dishwashers, garbage disposals, built-in microwaves, ovens/ranges/stoves, cooktops, plumbing systems, plumbing stoppages, hot water heaters, whirlpool bathtubs, heating systems, ductwork, ceiling and exhaust fans, electrical systems, and garage door openers.
- The Total Plan ($53.33 per month / $660 per year): Cover all items featured in the Basic Plan plus refrigerators, air conditioning systems, clothes washers, and clothes dryers.
- Service Fee: $85
- Optional Add-Ons ($40-$180 per year): Offers coverage for second refrigerators, stand-alone freezers, central vacuum, limited roof leak, sump pumps, well pumps, pools/spas, septic systems, and septic tank pumping.
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard (LHG) offers robust home warranty coverage at cost-effective rates and doesn’t base enrollment eligibility on a preliminary home inspection or the property’s age. This provider also has partnership policies available for real estate professionals and technicians. For homeowners looking specifically for dishwasher coverage, LHG offers an appliance-only plan called Appliance Guard that offers comprehensive coverage for items like dishwashers, microwaves, ovens, etc.
- New customers will receive $200 off, two free bonus months of coverage, and free roof leak protection.
- LHG doesn’t enforce binding contracts, meaning you’re free to cancel at any time.
- Offers a 60-day workmanship warranty to rectify and address any faulty repair services.
- Appliance Guard ($70 per month/$700 per year): Covers 11 appliances including, microwaves, refrigerators, ice makers, clothes washers/dryers, garbage disposals, and more
- Systems Guard ($74.99 per month/$750 per year): Covers 9 systems including, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, water heaters, electrical, toilets, bath exhaust fans, ceiling fans, and ductwork.
- Total Home Guard ($79.99 per month/$799.99 per year): Combination of the 20 appliances and systems in both plans mentioned above.
- Optional Add-Ons ($49.99 – $299.99 per year): Offers coverage for pool/spa, septic system pumping, well pumps, sump pumps, central vacuums, stand-alone freezers, second refrigerators, limited roof leaks, water softener, and re-keying
Select Home Warranty
We’ve nominated Select Home Warranty (SHW) as the most affordable home warranty provider for dishwasher coverage, namely for its affordable plan pricing and an impressive spread of discounts for new customers. Select categorizes its standard coverage options by type with one appliance-only plan (Bronze Care), one systems-only plan (Gold Care), and a deluxe option that combines both (Platinum Care). Bronze Care is an ideal option for homeowners looking for a home warranty that consolidates its coverage to essential appliances without paying for more than they need. Dishwashers and all other covered appliances have an annual repair allowance of $500 per item. Select won’t cover dishwasher racks and rollers but will include all other primary components of your unit, such as control boards, pumps, switches, drain liens and pumps, temperature control, and heating elements.
- New customers will receive $150 off of their premium plus two months of free coverage and complimentary roof leak protection
- Doesn’t charge an additional fee to transfer a policy
- Allows an unlimited number of repairs or replacements per year (within specified coverage limits)
- The Bronze Care Plan ($58 per month / $630 per year): The Bronze Care plan covers seven major appliances, including refrigerators, built-in microwaves, clothes washers and dryers, ovens, cooktops, garbage disposals, and dishwashers.
- The Gold Care Plan ($57.67 per month / $630 per year): The Gold Care plan covers a total of six built-in systems, including plumbing, air conditioning, heating, water heaters, electrical systems, and ductwork.
- The Platinum Care Plan ($62.08 per month / $699.99 per year): By purchasing Platinum Care, you’ll owe just a few dollars more per month but will benefit from double the coverage that you’d get with either of the other two plans. As a cost-effective plan option that doesn’t compromise coverage, we strongly recommend that Illinois homeowners consider Platinum Care.
- Service Fee: $60
- Optional Add-Ons ($39.99- $99.95 per year): Select also has several add-on options available for customers looking for more personalized coverage, including lawn sprinkler systems, pools and spas, septic systems, well pumps, sump pumps, central vacuum, and roof leak repairs.
American Home Shield
Often celebrated as the founder of the home warranty industry, American Home Shield (AHS) boasts a 50-year tenure in the field and a customer base of over 1.8 million. Dishwasher coverage is available in ShieldGold and ShieldPlatinum plans only and covers up to $3,000 in related costs per contract term, as ShieldSilver only covers select systems. American Home Shield has contractual agreements that are a minimum of one year long, with a 30-day waiting period after registration and the option to renew your home warranty coverage at the start of each year. None of its home warranty plan options require a home inspection before sign-up.
- Covers dishwashers, appliances, and systems of all ages, makes, and models
- Offers several stackable savings opportunities, including a $25 Amazon gift card through the Refer-A-Friend program, multi-property warranty discounts, up to 50% off retail prices on air filters, marked-down brand-name appliances, and more.
- Customers can choose between a $75, $100, or $125 service call fee, but a lower service fee results in a higher monthly premium and vice versa.
- ShieldSilver ($29.27- $44.27 per month / $347.88 – $527.88 per year): Covers 19 systems, including HVAC, attic fans, home security alarms, bath exhaust fans, and more.
- ShieldGold ($39.27 – $54.27 per month / $467.88 – $647.88 per year): Covers 23 systems and appliances, including dishwashers, trash compactors, doorbells, re-keying, water dispensers, and more
- ShieldPlatinum ($59.27 – $74.27 per month / $711.88 – $891.88 per year): Combo plan covers 27 systems and appliances, including roof leaks.
- Service Fee: $75, $100, or $125
- Optional Add-Ons: Offers coverage for pool/spa, septic pumps, well pumps, roof leaks, and guest house repairs
American Home Shield doesn’t offer coverage in Alaska.
What is a Home Warranty for Dishwashers?
A home warranty is a service agreement that covers repairs and replacements of your major home systems and appliances. With a home warranty plan in your back pocket, should your dishwasher stop working properly due to normal wear and tear, you’ll have immediate access to a network of experts who can fix it promptly at little or no additional cost to you. You’ll only be required to pay a flat service fee to compensate your contractor for labor and transportation expenses.
Who Needs a Dishwasher Warranty?
Any household with a dishwasher installed — whether it be a standard unit or something high-end — will benefit from the dishwasher coverage included in a home warranty plan. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), 54% percent of American “households both have a dishwasher and use it at least once a week.” Especially if you’re running multiple cycles of dishes per week, eventual malfunctions can be inconvenient, complicated, and expensive to fix.
Even if your dishwasher is relatively new, having a home warranty in place guarantees long-term coverage for any wear and tear it endures over time. Now, you’ll have to wait until your dishwasher’s original appliance warranty expires before your home warranty company will step in to cover it, but until then, you’ll at least have coverage for your home’s other appliances and systems.
We also highly recommend investing in a home warranty for older dishwashers that may have been included in your home purchase as a pre-existing fixture. Older appliances and systems can come with a lot of unknowns, especially if it’s showing signs of visible age.
What Does a Dishwasher Home Warranty Cover?
Dishwasher-specific inclusions across leading home warranty providers will vary between different companies and plans, but most will typically cover:
- Heating elements and thermal fuses
- Detergent and rinse aid dispensers
- Control panels
- Spray arms
- Circulation pumps/motors/impellers
- Drain pumps and hoses
- Filtration systems
- Water inlet valves
- Float bulbs and float switches
- Door gaskets
- Kick panels
Take a look at this diagram for a clearer picture of where these parts are in your dishwasher.
How Much Does a Dishwasher Home Warranty Cost?
Any home warranty that includes dishwasher coverage will cost between $45 and $65 per month, or $540 to $780 per year. You’ll find that nearly all home warranty companies have dishwashers listed somewhere in their standard inclusions.
Beyond your main premium, you’ll also be charged an out-of-pocket payment, also known as a service call fee, each time a technician is sent out to your home for a new service request. Service fees generally range between $60 and $125 across leading providers.
Costs Associated with Dishwasher Repair and Replacement
Typical labor for a dishwasher repair or replacement costs a homeowner $300 on average. For new dishwasher installation, costs can range from $175 to $475 for labor. Simply removing a dishwasher costs approximately $100 to $150. Since both plumbing and electrical are involved, it is best to hire a professional to fix your dishwasher should it break. But fixing a dishwasher can be expensive, especially if you’re not prepared for it.
Removing and replacing a dishwasher, in total, costs anywhere from $350 to $600. That doesn’t include the cost of the appliance and dishwashers can cost anywhere from $250 to $1,000.
How Does a Home Warranty for Dishwashers Work?
Filing a Claim
To open a service request with your home warranty provider, you’ll first need to report the issue by filing a claim. This can be done by calling your company directly or submitting an online claim form through your customer portal. Most home warranty claims processing centers will take 24-48 business hours to provide you with approval or denial of your claim.
First Home Visit
Assuming your claim was approved for coverage, a licensed and pre-screened technician will be sent to your home to assess the issue in person and draft a maintenance quote that they’ll report back to your provider with. At this appointment, no repairs and replacements will be made, only a diagnosis of the failure.
You’ll be asked to pay the service fee required by your contract at the initial home visit, so make sure to have that on hand. Depending on your provider, you may be asked to compensate the contractor directly or submit the payment to your company.
Repair or Replacement
Once your provider decides the best course of action for a repair or replacement of the covered item, either the same technician or another qualified contractor will be dispatched to perform the final fix.
Typically, once you’ve paid the service fee at the first appointment, this secondary visit won’t cost you anything. With that being said, if the necessary repair or replacement exceeds the coverage limit outlined in your contract, you will be responsible for the difference.
After researching the top home warranty providers, we’ve found that Choice Home Warranty offers some of the best dishwasher warranty coverage. Best of all, repairs and replacements on your dishwasher are included in more than one Choice Home Warranty plan.
Here’s why we recommend Choice Home Warranty for dishwasher coverage:
- Dishwashers are covered in both Choice Home Warranty plans.
- If repairs are not sufficient enough or if you need a dishwasher replacement, Choice Home Warranty will make sure it’s taken care of.
- They offer a team of professional, trained experts who are prepared to diagnose, repair and replace major home systems and appliances.
- Customer service representatives are available to assist you 24/7.
- Claims can easily be made online or on the phone. Before making a claim, though, see if you can figure out why you’re dishwasher stopped working.
- Choice Home Warranty offers coverage almost everywhere throughout the US.
- One-year plans cost about $1 per day.
- Coverage is customizable. Not all warranty companies offer coverage on pools, sump pumps, standalone freezers, and other items.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dishwasher Home Warranties
How long is the warranty on a dishwasher?
The length of a dishwasher’s original warranty depends on the manufacturer and whether you’ve opted for an extended warranty, however most last between one and five years. With a home warranty plan, however, your dishwasher will be covered within an annual contract period, which can be renewed every 12 months.
Who has best warranty on dishwashers?
Choice Home Warranty is the best home warranty provider for dishwasher coverage. Their Basic Plan includes both systems and appliances. It covers a dishwasher, as well as your electrical system, garage door opener, built-in microwave, etc. Their Total Plan covers all the systems and appliances in the Basic Plan, plus a few more. You can also add optional coverage for less common items, such as a pool or spa.
Do I need a home warranty for a dishwasher?
With a home warranty plan, you can spend a few hundred dollars a year on protection for more than a dozen appliances and systems, including your dishwasher. In the long term, you can actually save yourself hundreds of dollars on home maintenance costs, especially if some items need to be replaced.
What is the best dishwasher warranty?
For the best home dishwasher warranty coverage, we recommend Choice Home Warranty.
Today's Homeowner Home Warranty Ranking Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader.
To create this rating system, our team spent hours researching over 60 companies, analyzing 2500+ key data points, getting the thoughts and opinions of 1000+ homeowners, and speaking to home warranty company representatives directly. We also dug into the fine print on each company’s service agreement to ensure no detail was left out.
We developed an objective home warranty review and rating methodology to score each home warranty company based on several criteria. We used a five-point scale with a point index ranging from 0.00 to 1.00. The minimum awardable value is 0.0, whereas 1.00 is the maximum. These numeric points are translated into star ratings, using whole star increments between one and five.
Here is a quick breakdown of our five core scoring categories:
- Coverage (0.4): This category evaluates the scope of protection offered by a home warranty provider. We clearly distinguished between limited or broad coverage to help homeowners identify their own home protection needs. We also factor in claim turnaround times, average waiting period lengths, plan types, annual coverage limits, policy exclusions, etc.
- Cost (0.3): This category considers what home warranty companies charge homeowners monthly, annual, and out-of-pocket. We urge homeowners also to consider the cost-to-value ratio of a home warranty plan.
- Transparency and Trustworthiness (0.15): This category evaluates home warranty providers based on pending or past legal action, hidden fees, lack of information readily available on the website, exclusions, and more. We consider how upfront a company is to its potential policyholders, which says a lot about its products and services.
- Customer Support and Satisfaction (.09): This category evaluates the efficacy of a home warranty company’s effort to provide supportive guidance to inquiring customers and how policyholders are satisfied with the assistance they receive.
- Customization (.06): This category evaluates the ability of homeowners to adjust and choose their policy details, such as pricing variation, optional add-ons, and the number of plans available.