Homeowners in Rhode Island are never more than one hour from the beach, have access to great schools, and will never get tired of all the history that RI has to offer. If you are lucky enough to own a home in Rhode Island, you know how wonderful homeownership can be. However, there are always issues that come up with home systems and appliances, and they need to be tended to quickly and efficiently.
Rhode Island can get some really great spring and summer weather, but the winters are typically rough. This range of temperatures and conditions impacts the normal wear and tear of home systems and appliances. In our guide featuring the best home warranties in Rhode Island, we will give you information on how to choose a home warranty, why Rhode Island homeowners need a home warranty, and which company is best for your home.
Rhode Island Top 5 Home Warranty Companies
- Choice Home Warranty: Best Overall
- Liberty Home Guard: Most Trustworthy
- Select Home Warranty: Most Cost-Effective Plans
- American Home Shield: Best Customizable Plans
- The Home Service Club: Quickest Service
Quick Comparison of Home Warranty Providers
1. Choice Home Warranty
- Our Take: Best Overall
- Average Annual Cost: [$550] – [$650]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
Choice Home Warranty is the best overall home warranty in the state of Rhode Island. Choice has been in the home warranty industry for more than 13 years, and they have a BBB rating of B-. With a Choice Home Warranty plan in place, you will have a straightforward plan to work with. Customers in Rhode Island feel very comfortable with the coverage they have and the ability of Choice to help protect their homes. Coverage limits and caps for Choice are some of the highest in the industry, with some being over $2500 per covered item.
Pros and Cons
- Impressive customer service
- Comprehensive plan options that cover both systems and appliances
- 90-Day Repair Guarantee
- No Customization of plan
- 30-Day waiting period to start
Plans and Pricing
Rhode Island homeowners often think that Choice Home Warranty will have numerous policies to choose from. However, there are only two Choice Home Warranty plans a Basic Plan and a Total Plan. The Total Plan tends to be the more popular choice because it has more variety in coverage and can offer greater peace of mind. There are also some great add-on choices for those that have septic systems or central vacuums. The service fee associated with the Rhode Island Choice Home Warranty is $85.
Here’s a detailed look at Choice Home Warranty’s coverage:
- Basic Plan ($42 per month): The Basic Plan from Choice Home Warranty covers 13 items, including plumbing system, ceiling fans, garbage disposal, heating system, cooktop exhaust fans, microwave, dishwasher, ductwork, electrical system, garage door opener, oven, toilet, and water heater.
- Total Plan ($53.33 per month): The Total Plan is the more comprehensive plan and covers all 13 items in the Basic Plan, plus an additional four items. The Total Plan includes the clothes washer, dryer, refrigerator, and air conditioner coverage. Having both system and appliance coverage, with the addition of air conditioning coverage, makes the Total Plan the better choice for Rhode Island homeowners.
Choice Home Warranty has several add-on coverages that you can add to either of its plans.
- Roof leak coverage (single-family homes only)
- Central Vacuum
- Septic Tank
- Well Pump
- Spa (Can be combined with pool coverage if the equipment is shared)
- Sump Pump (must be permanently installed)
- Stand Alone Freezer
To get a free quote from Choice Home Warranty, fill out this online form or call 929-400-6164.
Read the full Choice Home Warranty Review.
2. Liberty Home Guard
- Our Take: Most Trustworthy
- Average Annual Cost: [$649] – [$749]
- Response Time: Within 24 hours
Liberty Home Guard is the most trustworthy home warranty in the state of Rhode Island. The interesting thing about Liberty Home Guard is that they have earned this distinction of most trustworthy after only two years in the market. The Liberty Home Guard policy has a BBB rating of an A and many positive customer service reviews. LHG is known for its extensive coverage options and for getting to your home quickly to fix, repair or replace an appliance.
Pros and Cons
- BBB rating of an A after a short time in the industry
- Easy to use customer claim portal
- An extensive list of add on coverages
- No plan customization
- Has only been on the market for a few years
Plans and Pricing
The Liberty Home Guard company gives Rhode Island homeowners three plans to choose from when it comes to coverage options. Like the way Select Home Warranty is set up, Liberty Home Guard offers a systems plan, appliance plan, and Total Home Guard. The list of add-on coverages from Liberty Home Guard is the most extensive in the industry, something that all homeowners are going to want to take advantage of if they have a saltwater pool, ejector pump, or even a lawn sprinkler system. Liberty Home Guard has a $75 service fee.
Here’s a detailed look at Liberty Home Guard’s coverage:
- Appliance Guard ($64.99 per month): The Appliance Guard plan from Liberty Home Guard has coverage for 11 major appliances, including garage door opener, ceiling fans, cooktop exhaust fan, oven, refrigerator, garbage disposal, dishwasher, microwave, clothes washer, clothes dryer, and refrigerator ice-maker.
- Systems Guard ($69.99 per month): The Systems Guard plan is a systems-only option with nine systems. These systems are the electrical system, air conditioner, bath exhaust fan, heating system, toilet, ductwork, plumbing and plumbing stoppages, and water heater. System breakdowns are expensive to repair, and this home warranty offers excellent peace of mind.
- Total Home Guard ($74.99 per month): The Total Home Guard is the best value from LHG. Total Home Guard has more than 20 covered systems and appliances. Having a combination of all the major systems with all the major appliances helps keep costs down as a homeowner.
Liberty Home Guard has one of the most extensive lists of add-on coverages in the industry; these will include:
- Pool and spa
- Additional spa (Billed as an extra to the pool system)
- Saltwater pool
- Gutter cleaning
- Floor/carpet cleaning
- Sump pump
- Water softener
- Trash compactor
- Lawn sprinkler system (all mechanical parts)
- Electronics protection
- Swamp cooler
- Ejector pump
- Septic system pumping
- Limited roof leak
- Pest control
- Free-standing ice maker
- Central vacuum
- Stand-alone freezer
- Second refrigerator
- Wine refrigerator
- Well pump
- TV and PC
- Water dispenser
To get a free quote from Liberty Home Guard, fill out this online form or call 866-451-2281.
To learn more information, visit our Liberty Home Guard review.
3. Select Home Warranty
- Our Take: Most Cost-Effective
- Average Annual Cost: [$579] – [$650]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
Select Home Warranty is the most cost-effective home warranty plan for Rhode Island residents. If you are on the fence about whether or not a home warranty is worth the money, Select Home Warranty will help you make a much easier decision. The Select Home Warranty plans have been on the market for close to ten years, and they are known for high-quality workmanship. Keeping your budget in place while protecting your home is a specialty of the Select Home Warranty.
Pros and Cons
- High workmanship quality
- Free roof coverage
- Good selection of appliance plan, systems plan, and combo plan
- Must file a claim within three days
- Coverage caps can be lower
Plans and Pricing
There are three Select Home Warranty plans to choose from. Each of these plans is going to cover both systems and appliances. The Platinum Care plan is the most cost-effective coverage option as it combines both systems and appliances. Each of the Select Home Warranty policies comes with free roof leak coverage. The service fee from Select Home Warranty is just $65.
Here’s a detailed look at Select Home Warranty’s coverage:
- Bronze Care ($52 per month): The Bronze Care plan is an appliance-only home warranty plan. This plan covers seven major appliances, including a refrigerator, built-in microwave, clothes washer and dryer, oven, garbage disposal, and cooktop.
- Gold Care ($52 per month): The Gold Care plan is a system-only plan from Select Home Warranty. There is coverage for six systems; plumbing, air conditioning, heating, water heaters, electrical systems, and ductwork. The Gold Care has less coverage than the Bronze, but it is the same price; this is because of the cost of repairing home systems.
- Platinum Care ($58 per month): The Platinum Care plan will include all of the appliances under the Bronze Care plan and all of the systems under the Gold Care Plan. The Platinum Care Plan is just a few dollars more per month, but it has all of the coverage included in both the Bronze Care and the Gold Care plans.
Select Home Warranty has several add-on coverages that you can attach to either of its plans; roof leak coverage is included without paying extra.
- Central vacuums (Does not include clogged pipes)
- Lawn sprinkler systems
- Pools (Can combine with spa coverage if the equipment is shared)
- Stand-alone freezers
- Sump pump (must be within the foundation of the home)
- Well pump
Select Home Warranty will give you a free quote after filling out this form or calling 888-370-3953.
Read our Select Home Warranty review to learn more.
4. American Home Shield
- Our Take: Best Customizable Plans
- Average Annual Cost: [$479] – [$779]
- Response Time: Up to 48 hours
American Home Shield is the most customizable plan in the home warranty industry. Homes across Rhode Island will vary greatly in the features that they offer. Home warranty plans will often have stock options that may not suit the needs of your Rhode Island home. With the AHS plan, you can add and subtract coverages to fit the needs of your home. American Home Shield has more than 50 years of experience in the home warranty industry.
Pros and Cons
- 50 years of industry experience
- Low chance of claim denial
- 24/7 online support for your home warranty plan
- Cancellation fees if canceled after the first 30 days
- Pricing for some plans is considerably higher
Plans and Pricing
There are three American Home Shield plans, a systems plan, and two combo or comprehensive plans. The ShieldGold Combo Plan tends to be one of the most popular choices because of the combination of appliance and system coverage. In addition, American Home Shield has some great add-on coverage options, especially for pool and spa owners. American Home Shield has a customizable service fee between $75 and $125.
Here’s a detailed look at American Home Shield’s coverage:
- ShieldSilver™ ($39.99 per month): The ShieldSilver plan covers 14 home systems, including air conditioning, electrical system, smoke alarms, water heater, central vacuums, doorbells, garage door opener, heating system, garbage disposals, ceiling fans, instant hot/cold water dispenser plumbing, and ductwork.
- ShieldGold™ ($49.99 per month): ShieldGold is the combo plan covering both systems and appliances. There are 23 home systems and appliances on this plan. The ShieldGold plan has additional coverages, including a clothes washer, dishwasher, clothes dryer, microwave, oven, and refrigerator.
- ShieldPlatinum™ ($64.99 per month): The ShieldPlatinum plan includes 27 systems and appliances. Pricing for ShieldPlatinum is slightly higher, but it is one of the more premium home warranty plan choices in the state of Rhode Island. For Rhode Island homeowners with high-end systems and appliances, ShieldPlatinum is one of the better coverage plans available.
American Home Shield also offers several add-on coverages for homeowners to consider.
- Septic system (first-year customers only, nonrenewable)
- TV (includes home theater system)
- Well pump coverage
To get a free quote from American Home Shield, you can fill out this form or call 888-365-2839.
To read more, visit our American Home Shield review.
5. The Home Service Club
- Our Take: Quickest Service
- Average Annual Cost: [$600] – [$756]
- Response Time: Within 24 hours
The Home Service Club has the quickest coverage of any home warranty provider in Rhode Island. With The Home Service Club, you will have to wait just ten days before your home warranty coverage begins. Most other home warranty plans require a total of 30 days before coverage starts. The Home Service Club has been in the industry for 13 years, and they continue to impress Rhode Island homeowners with their coverage choices, police coverage caps, and responsiveness to breakdowns.
Pros and Cons
- 13 years of industry experience
- Policy starts in just ten days
- Positive customer reviews
- No plan customization
- Does not have an ultimately budget-friendly cheap plan option
Plans and Pricing
There are two plans that The Home Service Club offers for Rhode Island residents. These two plans are the Standard Coverage and the Comprehensive Coverage plans. The Comprehensive Coverage plan has 33 covered items, including both home appliances and major systems. When you are looking for many covered items The Home Service Club is the best option for homeowners to consider.
Here’s a detailed look at The Home Service Club’s coverage:
- Standard Coverage ($50 per month): The Home Service Club Standard Coverage Plan has 18 covered items, including air conditioners, ceiling fans, water leaks, water heater, electrical system, central vacuum, dishwasher, refrigerator, trash compactor, oven, and more.
- Comprehensive Coverage ($63.00 per month): The Comprehensive Coverage Plan from The Home Service Club has 33 covered items. These extra coverages include gas leaks, ductwork, sump pump, pest control, doorbells, plumbing stoppages, attic fans, whole house exhaust, and more. Some of the coverages that really pay off are the plumbing stoppages and ductwork. There are many parts of the Comprehensive Coverage Plan that are typically add-on coverages with other providers; this will help you save quite a bit of money.
The Home Service Club also has plenty of add-on options, starting around $5 per month and increasing from there.
- Well pump
- Service line
- Plumbing sprinkler
- Roof Leak (up to $1000 in coverage)
- Spa heater
- Freestanding freezer
- Water softener
- Pool (can be combined with spa coverage if the equipment is shared)
- Sprinkler system
- Pump (Sewage ejector pump)
To get a free quote from The Home Service Club, fill out this online form or call 800-842-9334.
To learn more information, visit our The Home Service Club review.
Home Warranties in Rhode Island Cities
How Much Does a Home Warranty in Rhode Island Cost?
The average cost of a home warranty plan in Rhode Island is around $830 a year. The size of your Rhode Island home, the number of coverages you choose, and the service call fee or deductible can all impact the cost of your Rhode Island home warranty. For those on a budget, a plan with a customizable service fee is the best overall option. Home warranty plans that cover systems and appliances are the best fit for Rhode Island homeowners.
|Home Over 5,000 sq ft||$1,294.73|
|Home Under 10,000 sq ft||$787.48|
Compare the Best Home Warranty Companies in Rhode Island
|Home Warranty Company||Choice Home Warranty||Liberty Home Guard||Select Home Warranty||American Home Shield||The Home Service Club|
|Best For||Best Overall||Most Trustworthy||Most Cost Effective||Best Customizable Plans||Quickest Service|
|Annual Limit||Up to $3000 per covered item||Up to $2000 per covered item||Up to $2000 per covered item||Up to $6000 per covered item||Up to $2500 per covered item|
|Average Response Time||Up to 48 hours||Within 24 hours||Up to 48 hours||Up to 48 hours||Within 24 hours|
|State Availability||Excludes WA||Excludes WA & WI||Excludes NY, NV, WA, WI||Excludes AK||Available in All States|
|Online Chat / Mobile App||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
Hopefully, you now feel ready to make a home warranty decision for your Rhode Island home. Although all five of these choices have some tremendous benefits, Choice Home Warranty is the best overall option. Rhode Island homeowners are lucky to have so many options for excellent home warranty coverage. Even though Choice has very straightforward plan choices, fair pricing, and experience in the industry, getting a few extra quotes from other companies makes sense. Getting a home warranty in place sooner rather than later can end up saving you quite a bit of money in the long run.
How to Choose the Best Home Warranty in Rhode Island
We hope you now feel ready to choose a home warranty policy for your home. Although these five options are great, you will ultimately need to narrow them down to just one. There are a few essential things that you should consider when breaking down which of these plans is the best for you. Three of these are the coverage caps, company history, and overall pricing.
- Coverage Caps: Each covered item in your plan will have a limit or cap associated with it. This means that once repairs or replacements exceed this cap, you will be responsible for paying for anything in addition. Some of these caps are $500, and others are complicated; your Rhode Island home has high-end appliances and systems; choose the higher coverage caps.
- Company History: Reading reviews and information about home warranty companies is not difficult. There is no shortage of information available on the market for you to have access to. Take a look at how many claims have been paid out and the workmanship quality of the plans.
- Overall Pricing: The overall pricing of the home warranty plan will include the service fee and monthly pricing. Rhode Island home warranties will range in price from $38 to around $80 per month. You can typically find a plan that will fit within your budget.
Rhode Island experiences various weather conditions, and many areas of the state are considered coastal areas. For those that live in coastal areas, the salt can do quite a bit of damage to a home. Overall you will want to be aware of issues that could come up and how your home warranty can help. Three problems that Rhode Island homeowners will run into are plumbing systems, heating systems, and HVAC.
- Plumbing Systems: Some of Rhode Island can have rough terrain and rolling hills. This can mean that the plumbing system in your home can run into some issues. Plumbing systems are expensive to fix, and they will take quite a bit of money to diagnose. With a home warranty in place, you will be responsible for just your service fee.
- Heating Systems: A heating system is essential during a Rhode Island winter. If the heating system is not working correctly, homeowners will struggle to stay warm all winter long. Luckily heating systems are covered under most home warranty policies, and this coverage can save you thousands.
- HVAC: The HVAC coverage available for Rhode Island homeowners is quite strong, and it is an important one to have. The HVAC unit is something that is quite costly to repair and replace. HVAC is also something you won’t want to live without in the summer; therefore, having this coverage is essential.
What is a Home Warranty?
A home warranty is a protection plan for home systems and appliances that will help save homeowners money and time. Home warranty plans will make it easier to budget your expenses as a homeowner. In addition, you will be able to ensure that you can get a timely fix on your home systems and appliances. Home warranty plans require you to submit a claim and pay a service fee each time you need service. Outside of these fees, there should be very few out-of-pocket costs for a homeowner with a home warranty in place.
Home Warranty vs. Homeowners Insurance
The home warranty is different than a homeowners insurance plan. Homeowners insurance is a mandatory policy for those with a mortgage, but a home warranty is optional. A homeowners insurance policy will cover things like fires, hurricanes, natural disasters, and more. A home warranty will cover appliances and systems and add-on coverages.
How Does a Home Warranty in Rhode Island Work?
A home warranty in Rhode Island should be very simple to use. When it comes time to file a claim, simply contact your provider and get the process started. One of the great things about a Rhode Island home warranty is that you will be able to get a repair much faster than you would if you had no home warranty in place. Here are the basics of how a Rhode Island home warranty works.
- Find a home warranty plan that meets the needs of your Rhode Island home while also keeping your budget in mind; look for as much coverage as possible for the price
- Wait the 10-30 days before the home warranty will go into full effect; during this time period, cancellation is typically free of charge
- If you experience an issue with a home system or appliance, check your policy documents or the online portal system to see if it will be covered as part of your home warranty plan
- Submit a claim with your home warranty provider, typically through the online portal system or by calling the number on your policy documents
- At this point, you will have to pay the service fee to have a repair technician or contractor come out to your home to inspect the issue
- Once the issue is inspected, options for repair or replacement will be presented to homeowners; if the appliance or system can’t be repaired, the home warranty plan may offer replacement costs
- Most of the time, the only out of pocket expense is the service fee
- Repair should happen within 24-72 hours; the only thing that typically delays a repair is wait times on parts
- If a repair fails, a home warranty workmanship guarantee will ensure that homeowners are not responsible for an additional service fee
What does a Home Warranty Cover?
A home warranty covers home systems, appliances, and add-ons from normal wear. Normal wear is the only thing that the home warranty will cover, but this is typically why you will be requesting service.
The home systems that a home warranty will cover include things like electrical, plumbing, and HVAC. These systems typically have high out-of-pocket expenses associated with their repair and replacement. Home warranties can help to keep these expenses in check. The appliances typically covered under a home warranty plan will include a refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, and more.
Add-on coverage associated with a home warranty typically includes things like swimming pools and sprinkler systems, all important coverages for those with these special features as part of their Rhode Island home.
What is Not Covered by a Home Warranty?
Home warranty plans will protect against normal wear, but they have quite a few exclusions. If you are not keeping up with basic maintenance and home repairs, and this causes more significant issues, your home warranty claim may get denied. The details of your service contract will lay out exactly what is covered and what is not covered by a home warranty.
Here are a few of the things that are not covered by a home warranty plan:
- Cosmetic issues
- Preexisting conditions
- Natural disasters
- Lack of maintenance and upkeep
- Intentional breakage
- Misuse of a system or appliance
Biggest Complaints about Home Warranty Companies in Rhode Island
Homeowners in Rhode Island will sometimes complain about their home warranty plan. For the most part, homeowners are satisfied with what the home warranty can do to help them in their home. However, some issues come up with a home warranty that can make it rather frustrating. Here are a few of the biggest complaints about home warranty companies in Rhode Island.
- Claim Denial: a home warranty claim can get denied for several reasons. One of the major reasons is a pre-existing condition with the home systems or appliances. Claim denial can be avoided if it is something you bring up from the start and discuss with your provider.
- Failed Repair: most of the technicians and service personnel are highly qualified in what they do; however, there are times a repair will fail. In the case of a failed repair, you may end up paying another service fee to fix the same issue. Failed repairs can be much cheaper if you choose a plan with a long workmanship guarantee.
- Not Comprehensive Coverage: for many Rhode Island, home warranty providers, unless you invest in a platinum plan with large coverage options, you will have to choose between system or appliance coverage. The fact that comprehensive coverage is not part of every policy becomes an issue for some. When your dishwasher breaks but you only have systems coverage, it gets frustrating.
Are home warranties worth it?
Home warranty plans are worth it for Rhode Island homeowners. Living in Rhode Island can be great, but it will also mean warm summers and cold winters. This means that your home will have to have a large number of systems and appliances to be a comfortable and enjoyable place to live. The chances of one of these systems or appliances breaking down at any point is quite high.
If your HVAC system takes a turn for the worst, your out-of-pocket expenses could be well into the thousands. However, when a home warranty is in place, the costs will typically only be a service fee. Homeowners will only have to experience one or two repairs in the course of a year for the home warranty to pay for itself.
In addition to the cost savings, home warranty plans will save you time and help create peace of mind. If you are concerned about finding great home warranty contractors and continually worried about home systems or appliances breaking down then a home warranty will help you enjoy your Rhode Island home.
FAQs About Rhode Island Home Warranties
How much does a home warranty cost in Rhode Island?
A Rhode Island home warranty will cost between $38 and $80 per month. The higher-priced home warranties have more coverage and lower service fees. When you try to add coverage for your pool, spa, sprinklers, roof, and more, the home warranty price will go up considerably. If you want to keep pricing down, choose a basic policy from a company like Select Home Warranty.
What is a service fee?
The service fee is the money you pay to have a repair or replacement done in your home. Most service fees cost between $60 and $150 for Rhode Island policies. Overall service fees are a major factor to consider when looking at the overall affordability of a home warranty plan.
What is the best home warranty company in Rhode Island?
The best home warranty company in Rhode Island is Choice Home Warranty. Rhode Island homeowners trust Choice Home Warranty. They offer effective and fast service and have been in the industry for more than 13 years.
Is a home warranty worth it?
It will only take one or two repairs for you to realize the value of your home warranty plan. If your HVAC and your dishwasher were to break in the same month, could you afford to have them repaired or replaced? The home warranty protects you when you need it the most and also allows for peace of mind.
Today's Homeowner Home Warranty Ranking Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader.
To create this rating system, our team spent hours researching over 60 companies, analyzing 2500+ key data points, getting the thoughts and opinions of 1000+ homeowners, and speaking to home warranty company representatives directly. We also dug into the fine print on each company’s service agreement to ensure no detail was left out.
We developed an objective home warranty review and rating methodology to score each home warranty company based on several criteria. We used a five-point scale with a point index ranging from 0.00 to 1.00. The minimum awardable value is 0.0, whereas 1.00 is the maximum. These numeric points are translated into star ratings, using whole star increments between one and five.
Here is a quick breakdown of our five core scoring categories:
- Coverage (0.4): This category evaluates the scope of protection offered by a home warranty provider. We clearly distinguished between limited or broad coverage to help homeowners identify their own home protection needs. We also factor in claim turnaround times, average waiting period lengths, plan types, annual coverage limits, policy exclusions, etc.
- Cost (0.3): This category considers what home warranty companies charge homeowners monthly, annual, and out-of-pocket. We urge homeowners also to consider the cost-to-value ratio of a home warranty plan.
- Transparency and Trustworthiness (0.15): This category evaluates home warranty providers based on pending or past legal action, hidden fees, lack of information readily available on the website, exclusions, and more. We consider how upfront a company is to its potential policyholders, which says a lot about its products and services.
- Customer Support and Satisfaction (.09): This category evaluates the efficacy of a home warranty company’s effort to provide supportive guidance to inquiring customers and how policyholders are satisfied with the assistance they receive.
- Customization (.06): This category evaluates the ability of homeowners to adjust and choose their policy details, such as pricing variation, optional add-ons, and the number of plans available.