Every homeowner would love a lush green lawn, but not everyone has the time to put in the effort needed to create a thriving property. When you don’t have the time, energy, or desire for lawn maintenance, a professional lawn care company can do it for you.
I’ve looked through contracts, hundreds of customer reviews, and each lawn care company’s services, average costs, and products to find our top choices, TruGreen and Sunday.
Hiring a lawn care company is ideal if you want the best and fastest results. I’ve ranked six full-service lawn care services and DIY subscription box companies to bring you my top recommendations. Read on for my expert-compiled list of the best lawn care services of 2023.
Top 6 Best Lawn Care Services of 2023
- TruGreen: Best Customer Service
- Sunday: Best DIY Lawn Service
- Lawnbright: Best Organic Lawn Treatments
- Lawn Doctor: Best Service Guarantee
- Weed Man: Best for Weed Control
- Lawn Love: Best for Lawn Cleanup
TruGreen: Best Customer Service
- State Availability: All states except Alaska and Hawaii
- BBB Rating: A+
- Year Founded: 1973
This lawn treatment company offers flexible solutions every season, which are essential to maintaining a healthy lawn. In addition, you can be assured that your specialist has the training and years of experience to tackle even the most challenging lawn problems. TruExperts are required to pass a 10-day training course to become certified. For that reason, we give the company high marks for superior professionalism and customer service.
Why We Picked It
TruGreen’s scientific approach to lawn care is what separates it from the competition. The company sees lawn care as more than simply mowing and watering your grass. Each yard is unique and requires a different approach. TruGreen employs a team of expert agronomists who use soil science to develop its lawn care treatments.
Trugreen Pros & Cons
- Comprehensive list of services that reduce the need to hire additional companies
- Scientific approach to lawn care offers solutions rather than services
- Coverage throughout the entire United States, so you know it has services accessible to you
- TruGreen will often want to lock you into a contract for a certain series of services
- Many customers report aggressive sales tactics from TruGreen representatives
Plans, Services, and Pricing
TruGreen is the most well-known lawn company, serving 2.3 million commercial and residential customers across the U.S. It offers shrub care, core aeration, and lawn fertilization to ensure you have a green lawn in the summer and a healthy property all year round.
Below are the monthly costs for TruGreen’s services. We include the details of each plan. However, remember that certain factors, such as where you live and the size of your yard, may affect how much you pay for services.
- TruMaintenance℠ Lawn Plan ($53 per month): This plan is the most basic option and includes the Healthy Lawn Analysis, fertilization, pre-emergent and targeted weed control, the Health Lawn Guarantee®, and servicing by TruExpert Certified Specialists.
- TruHealth℠ Lawn Care Plan ($59 per month): This plan includes all the servicing in TruMaintence℠ plus grub prevention and control, which will keep grubs from killing your grass and ruining your green lawn.
- TruComplete℠ Lawn Plan ($83 per month + $15 for overseeding): This plan includes all of what’s included in the TruHealth℠ Plan, plus lawn aeration and overseeding.
- TruSignature℠ Lawn Plan ($25 per month): This plan features all of what’s included in the TruComplete℠ plan, plus the Tree and Shrub Care Plan, which provides treatment for insects, grubs, and diseases. The price accounts for aeration and overseeding as well.
- TruNatural℠ Lawn Plan ($177.95 x 5 per year): This plan includes fertilization with 100% natural fertilizer, and customers can add all-natural products, lawn analysis, and weed control at no additional cost.
TruGreen offers all five programs plus several à la carte options to stand out from its competition. Everything from spring overseeding to lawn aeration to outdoor pest control is offered by TruGreen so that you’re guaranteed a green, healthy lawn.
- Lawn Aeration and Overseeding Service: The benefits of this service include breaking up thatch and compacted soil, increasing nutrients, and building a thicker, greener lawn.
- Soil Amendment and Analysis: A soil amendment analysis service comes with a soil analysis and a treatment plan to bring your soil to the appropriate pH balance. This may include granulated lime, nutrient appliance, or a full-blown lawn care plan.
- Outdoor Nuisance Pest Control Plan: This application reduces the population of ticks, fleas, chiggers, earwigs, ants, and spiders and eliminates their successive generations.
- Grub Control and Prevention: Includes monitoring for adult grub populations and application before the egg-hatching season.
- Perimeter Pest Control: This includes four applications per year of targeted pest control, added protection against various disease-carrying insects, TruExpert specialist expertise, and no-home entry.
- Weed Control: All weed control plans come with a 10–14 day weed decline, customized products designed for your lawn needs, a visit every 4–6 weeks, a healthy lawn guarantee, and application by TruExperts.
- Mosquito Control and Defense: The first application effectively controls mosquito populations within 24 hours. It includes targeted mosquito control, disease control, a barrier of protection, and pet-safe mosquito yard and treatment sprays.
- Tree and Shrub Care: Includes targeted seasonal root zone fertilization, disease control, insect and mite control, Horticultural Oil, and the TruGreen Guarantee. This service is also 50% off your first application.
The company has an online chat function and mobile app that allows you to chat with specialists in real-time or get lawn-related information at the press of a button. If you’re unsatisfied with the service, TruGreen’s specialist will return to your property as many times as necessary. The initial application fee for TruGreen is $47 for most plans but $89 for the TruNatural℠ Lawn Care Plan.
After reviewing hundreds of reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot, I’ve determined that lack of transparency and misleading information is an issue with TruGreen. Many customers are upset about being charged for services they were unaware of and being signed into contracts they misunderstood.
Of course, paying attention to contracts is always important when dealing with any lawn care company. That said, TruGreen is very good at responding to complaints and resolving them promptly and effectively.
To learn more, read my Trugreen Review.
Fill out this form to get in touch with TruGreen.
Sunday: Best DIY Lawn Care Service
- State Availability: Available in all states
- BBB Rating: A+
- Year Founded: 2018
Sunday is committed to offering environmentally friendly lawn care products made with natural ingredients like seaweed, molasses, and iron, safe for the environment, pets, and kids. Additionally, Sunday ships to all 50 states and takes the guesswork out of lawn maintenance for hundreds of DIY homeowners across the U.S.
Sunday is a subscription-based DIY lawn care service. It’s ideal if you usually maintain your lawn but need expert advice on making it look healthier or don’t know which products to use. Most importantly, it provides all the tools you need to get started. You can begin your subscription by signing up online for free. Then, enter your home address, and Sunday will send you a complimentary soil analysis. This report details the products the company recommends to keep your lawn in superior condition.
Why We Picked It
Sunday is a one-of-a-kind DIY service that ensures you get a customized local lawn care plan without getting locked into long-term or expensive contracts. All its products are eco-friendly, and it even sends you your products as you need them throughout the year, so there is no guessing about when the best time to apply them is.
Sunday Pros & Cons
- Customized lawn care plans designed specifically for your yard
- All eco-friendly products that are safe for pets, children, and wildlife
- No contracts, no difficult customer service, and no salespeople
- You have to do everything yourself
- Lack of assistance if Sunday’s products aren’t working or effective enough
Plans, Services, and Pricing
- Basic Lawn Care Plan (starting at $109): This plan includes a hose-end prayer, 1–4 shipments of organic lawn nutrient pouches, a lab soil test and analysis, and custom instructions.
- Keep & Protect Plan (starting at $137): This plan includes the Basic Plan plus a weed concentrate, sprayer, and select popular add-ons tailored to your lawn’s needs.
- Grow & Renew Plan (starting at $155): This plan features all the Keep & Protect plan plus bag(s) of grass seed.
Because Sunday is a DIY lawn care company, there are no schedules to keep, and no service tech will visit your home. Instead, you’re paying for prepackaged products customized to your unique requirements. Sunday offers dozens of products for pest control, weed control, grass growth and nutrients, pet damage repair, etc. Plans are designed specifically for the needs of your lawn, and subscriptions are delivered annually.
Sunday offers a variety of additional products that you can purchase outside of its subscription box. These products can help rid your yard of weeds, pests, and pet patches and enhance the look of your lawn.
- Grass seed: You can purchase grass seed for seeding a new lawn or overseeding an existing one. Sunday offers Fescue Rescue, Bermuda Time, Kentucky bluegrass, clover lawn grass, and shade grass seeds.
- Pre- and post-emergent weed control: Sunday offers targeted and pre-emergent weed control options to protect your lawn from weeds. The two products are Weed Warrior + Dandelion Doom.
- Pet patch repair: The Pet Patch product is designed to help remediate any yellowing grass spots ruined by your pet’s potty time. Pet Safe Ice Melt is also offered, making walking on your lawn safe for your furry friend, even in frigid locations.
- Pest control: To rid your yard of annoying pests like mosquitoes, ants, fire ants, ticks, and more, Sunday offers the Bug Doom Home Insect Barrier, designed to create a bug-free perimeter around your property.
- Garden growth: If you want to make more than just your lawn look beautiful, Sunday carries various gardening kits and tools, including Classic Bulb Garden, Grand Bulb Garden, Eastern Pollinator Wildflower Garden, Western Pollinator Wildflower Garden, All-Purpose Plant Food Mix, Flower & Bloom Plant Food Mix, Veggie and Tomato Mix, Monterey® Garden Neem Oil, Monterey® Garden Horticultural Oil, Tool kits, De-Wit Cape Cod Weeder, DeWit Forged Hand Trowel, and much more.
Sunday has a very sparse reputation on the BBB and Trustpilot. Honestly, I consider this a good thing because homeowners rarely turn to these websites to leave positive feedback. One customer does complain about being charged for a recurring subscription that they thought would end after one season. You might want to look out for that if you choose Sunday.
Get more details from my Sunday Review.
Visit the Sunday website to schedule service.
Lawnbright: Best Natural Lawn Care
- State Availability: All states
- BBB Rating: NR
- Year Founded: 2021
Hands down, Lawnbright is the undisputed champion for eco-friendly products. That’s because it uses only natural, organic ingredients and avoids harsh toxins. Although I’d like to see more for weed control, Lawnbright is transparent about its ingredients and how it works to fight off pre-emergent weeds.
Why We Picked It
What separates Lawnbright from the rest is its focus on all-natural and organic ingredients. There isn’t even an option for “pet-safe” items because they’re all pet and child safe. Of course, companies like Sunday claim to do the same, and while it does to a certain extent, it doesn’t make it as much of a priority as Lawnbright.
Lawnbright Pros & Cons
- Easy sign up and onboarding process with open and transparent pricing
- DIY solution with an utmost focus on environmentally friendly ingredients
- We found the spray bottles to be more sturdy and easier to use than Sunday’s
- You have to make sure to save your sprayers because you won’t receive them in future shipments
- Products can stain and even damage nearby hardscapes
Plans, Services, and Pricing
Lawnbright’s Custom Lawn Care Plan starts at around $200 per year. A typical starter kit includes a soil test kit, selected natural lawn care products, weed killer, rainfall meter, a free mobile app, an instruction booklet, and online support.
My team secret-shopped for a lawn care plan, and for a home in Raleigh, North Carolina, with a medium-size lawn (under 5,500 square feet), a three-box lawn care kit for year-round care comes out to $280. The first box, which would come in March or April, is the Spring Power Pack, and it includes one soil test kit, two Black Gold soil conditioners, two Green Machine or Total Lawn fertilizers, and one hose-end sprayer. The Summer Heat Defense box would ship in June and include two Sea Green kelp treatments for deep rooting and two more fertilizer packs. The last box, Fall Fortify, would ship in August, and have two more natural fertilizers and two RootRx, which is a humic acid and kelp mixture to support winter survival.
- Organic Pre-emergent Weed Control ($67): Weed Wipeout is an organic pre-emergent weed control that targets dandelions, curly dock, purslane, giant foxtail, quackgrass, clover, black medic, shattercane, and more. It’s both pet and kid-safe and USDA National Organic Program compliant. The $67 bottle covers up to 3,000 square feet, but there are larger options available for more extensive lawns up to 9,000 square feet, costing $90–$135.
- Organic Mosquito and Tick Control ($35): Yard Control can be purchased as a monthly subscription or individually. The natural oil blend eliminates mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and more.
- Pet Spot Repair ($28): Pet Spot Repair helps regulate pet urination spots by targeting the soil to remove toxin levels of urine and encourage grass regeneration.
- Broadleaf Weed Control ($60 – 2 pack): The Pulverize® Weed Killer for Lawns is targeted, post-emergent weed control for weeds such as dandelion, English daisy, creeping buttercup, moss, black medic, white clover, and more.
Lawnbright is similar to Sunday. It’s a DIY lawn company with a service subscription offering organic products by mail through online ordering. Lawnbright’s products are chemical-free and designed for your lawn’s specific needs.
The price you pay for Lawnbright will depend on your lawn size and needed products. Boxes typically ship every six weeks during the spring and summer months. However, subscriptions stop abruptly in the winter. And while all shipments contain at least two products, you’re not sure what they’ll be until they arrive because they depend on your lawn’s condition. Lawnbright offers à la carte products for weed control, mosquito and tick control, and pet spot damage. However, Lawnbright’s weed control is primarily for pre-emergent weeds, so it’s best to go to a hardware store for post-emergent products if you already have weed troubles.
The BBB does not accredit Lawnbright and the company has no reviews on Trustpilot. The company just started in 2021, so this is likely why. But, as I’ve mentioned, no reviews are usually good reviews because most people turn to these sites with complaints rather than compliments.
Find out more in my Lawnbright Vs. Sunday review.
Lawn Doctor: Best Service Guarantee
- State Availability: 39 states
- BBB Rating: B+
- Year Founded: 1987
Lawn Doctor focuses on customizing lawn care to ensure you get the best services possible to get your lawn healthy and green. However, Lawn Doctor is not our top choice because of its limited availability and evident growing pains in emerging markets.
For example, customers often feel like they’re not being heard in the Western regions. In addition, some complaints center on the homeowner’s inability to collect on the warranty. And while I see this as a minor stumbling block to the company’s ability to move forward, it’s an issue I hope gets resolved quickly.
Why We Picked It
The main thing that stands out about Lawn Doctor is its customer service. It offers a satisfaction guarantee and personalized attention for each customer. Many customers boast about the positive experiences they’ve had with technicians and customer service representatives.
Lawn Doctor Pros & Cons
- Customizable services to meet the specific needs of each customer
- Professional and knowledgeable staff who can diagnose lawn problems and recommend the best treatment options
- Convenient online scheduling options and flexible appointment times
- Limited availability in some areas, so not all customers may have access to Lawn Doctor’s services
- Some customers have reported inconsistent service quality, with occasionally missed treatments or ineffective treatments
Plans, Services, and Pricing
Here are a few highlights of Lawn Doctor’s treatment plans. I also include the standard prices for each offering. However, costs could vary widely depending on your region, city, and yard size.
- Lawn Maintainer Care Program ($798): This program includes a customized treatment schedule, lawn fertilization, aeration, and weed control.
- Lawn Maintainer Program ($1050): The lawn Maintainer Program adds pest control service and overseeding. It includes fertilization, weed control, integrated pest management, aeration, and seeding.
- Natural Lawn Care Program ($1,278): This program only uses herbicides and pesticides containing natural ingredients. It includes all-natural lawn fertilization, core aeration, overseeding, pest control services, soil enrichment/lime treatments, weed control, and flexible scheduling.
Lawn Doctor offers some one-off services and à la carte options. These additional services include:
- Custom Fertilization and Plans
- Power Seeding & Aeration
- Tree and Shrub Care
- Pest Control plans include Mosquito and Tick Control, Lawn Insect Control, Perimeter Pest Control, and Fire Ant Control.
Lawn Doctor has one of the best reputations on the BBB and Trustpilot compared to the rest of the companies on this list. Many customers love the smaller company feel that they get from Lawn Doctor in terms of customer service. That said, I was surprised by some of its team’s responses on the BBB. They seem more worried about being defensive and combative with customers rather than making right on mistakes.
Read more about the company in my Lawn Doctor review.
Weed Man: Best for Weed Control
- State Availability: 48 states, excluding Hawaii and Alaska
- BBB Rating: B
- Year Founded: 1970
Weed Man offers a robust pest control plan that eliminates plant insects, fleas, ticks, fire ants, mosquitoes, and more. The pest control services appear much more robust than its lawn maintenance services, which is typically bad news for a company claiming to be a lawn care specialist. However, most customers overlook Weed Man’s technical flaws and manage to receive decent overall value.
Weed Man has been providing landscaping services for over 50 years. There is no job too small or large for its technicians; from lawn aeration to simple cleanup projects, Weed Man can do it all. Although Weed Man happens to be a nationwide company, according to many of its customers, Weed Man feels like a local hometown business. The company offers excellent organic lawn care for optimal and eco-friendly lawn care.
Why We Picked It
One thing I’ve noticed over and over about many lawn care companies is issues with timely service and flexibility in scheduling. Weed Man seems to avoid this issue entirely, and so many customers love the speed of its service and willingness to revisit a property to fix mistakes.
Weed Man Pros & Cons
- Flexible scheduling when compared to other companies
- Extremely fast service with 24-hour response time in some cases
- Courteous and considerate technicians
- Company is known for aggressive sales tactics
- While it considers itself a “lawn care” company, the focus seems to be on pest control
Plans, Services, and Pricing
- Basic Lawn Care Package ($250 per visit): Weed Man only offers one “basic lawn care package” but has many services that can be added or purchased as a one-off service. This package includes the following: lawn analysis, weed control, fertilization, crabgrass control, and overseeding.
- Grub Control ($220 per visit)
- Aeration ($250 per visit)
- Lime Applications ($120–$175 per visit)
- Pest control Services ($54–$75 per month): These can include the prevention and control of fire ants, plant insects, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
Weed Man has a great reputation with the BBB, even though it’s not accredited. After reviewing hundreds of reviews, the main issue customers have is contractual agreements which is something we find a lot in lawn care.
Customers misunderstand the terms of their contract, so they think the company is trespassing on their property when they previously agreed to certain services for an allotted amount of time. This is where services like Sunday and Lawnbright come out as the positive solution to long and confusing contracts.
Get more information with my Weed Man Review.
Lawn Love: Best for Lawn Cleanup
- State Availability: All States
- BBB Rating: B
- Year Founded: 2014
Lawn Love allows you to add multiple add-ons to a lawn care package and provides products tailor-made for your property’s needs. Lawn Love is not our top recommendation because, sometimes, being a third-party provider of lawn care services can be fraught with issues. For example, customers occasionally report receiving shady characters showing up at their doorstep. And while I understand Lawn Love cannot control everything, I hope its vetting process gets better over time.
Still, the company guarantees all services. It also provides bonding and insurance for all its providers, something it may not otherwise take care of.
Lawn Love is different from typical lawn care companies because it matches your lawn care needs with a local professional. You get the high-tech advantages of working with a nationwide database while supporting local businesses. In addition, its customized mobile app makes it easy to order services wherever you are.
Why We Picked It
Lawn Love stands out as a versatile option for lawn care if you’re not quite sure what you need but want the option to have a variety of services. Lawn Love allows you to customize extensive or basic packages based on your needs.
Lawn Love Pros & Cons
- Highly consistent services
- Great for last-minute lawn maintenance
- Simple to use online interface for changing and modifying your service package
- Serves more as a lawn care brokerage that subcontracts jobs out
- Lacking communication between various parties involved
Plans, Services, and Pricing
Lawn Love doesn’t have set pricing. Instead, it customizes a lawn care plan based on your needs and the available providers in your area. Here are some common examples of services offered and corresponding prices:
- Mowing and trimming: $30–$50 biweekly
- Leaf cleanup service: $60–$80
- Aeration service: $80–$120
- Gutter cleaning: $75–$150
Lawn Love provides lawn care and maintenance, gardening, fertilization, aeration, weed control, seeding, yard cleanup, leaf removal, gutter cleaning, and snow removal.
After reviewing countless reviews on the BBB and Sitejabber, I determined that the biggest issue customers have is with the subcontractors that Lawn Love uses. Some people have complained of sketchy workers, and unfortunately, Lawn Love has no way of even knowing who they’re hiring because the job goes to the lowest bidder.
This winds up being a race to the bottom, and the lowest quality service provider can suck up the jobs from better contractors who might charge more.
So, Which Lawn Care Company Is the Best?
Hiring a lawn care company helps take the guesswork out of maintaining a greener, healthier lawn. You can also take the pressure off yourself and put the responsibility on the shoulders of your highly trained specialist.
While Sunday and Lawnbright offer unique DIY lawn solutions, TruGreen remains our top pick. With TruGreen, you get a highly trained professional to your home regularly, one of the best guarantees in the industry, years of lawn care experience, and the convenience of managing your service on the go through its mobile app.
How to Choose the Best Lawn Care Service
Settling on a lawn care service provider doesn’t have to be complicated. When shopping for the best lawn care company, there are a few factors to consider, including types of treatments and products, à la carte options, year-round scheduling, and service guarantees.
Types of Treatments
- Lawn aeration removes loose soil and other material buildups on the grass that can choke it off. Aeration breaks up this layer, allowing your grass to breathe better and absorb water and nutrients.
- Overseeding is adding seeds to the soil to make your lawn thicker. It’s often done immediately after aeration.
- Fertilization adds nitrogen-rich compounds to the soil to help the grass grow fuller and healthier. The tech distributes it either by hand or with a spreader.
- Weed control for most lawns goes beyond just pulling existing weeds. It’s also essential to prevent them from coming up in the first place.
- Soil pH control. Getting the correct pH balance in the soil is vital to growing a green, healthy lawn. For that reason, your lawn technician will often use lime treatments to bring the turf back into balance if it becomes too acidic.
Types of Products
- Chemical: Standard ingredients for weed control include a combination of pendimethalin and triethylamine.
- Organic: Natural herbicides include clove oil and citric acid. They’re not typically regulated but still require careful application.
À la Carte Options
Besides annual plans, most lawn care companies now offer one-time service contracts. For example:
- Pre-emergent and emergent weed control
- Lime treatments
- Grub control
Most full-service lawn care plans offer technician visits every four to six weeks. Bi-weekly plans are typically only available through small independent providers. Also, there are seldom any warranties or guarantees provided with short-term contracts. Remember that year-round lawn care and scheduling are essential for a lush, healthy, and green lawn.
When shopping for a lawn care provider, be sure to get all guarantees in writing. Also, it’s best to read the entire contract thoroughly before agreeing to any service visits. If you check out any of the companies recommended in this guide on BBB, you’ll realize that lack of contractual agreement understanding is the biggest issue.
Below, I review each company’s lawn care guarantee directly from its website:
TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee
TruGreen promises that each customer will receive the highest-quality lawn care services based on scientific research and solutions for their unique needs. TruGreen specialists are certified through the TruExpert Certification Program, which consists of rigorous training and requires annual recertification. The program ensures that the specialists develop and maintain the expertise needed to deliver superior lawn care services.
Sunday claims it’ll help you solve any problem with your lawn or its products, no matter what. It has a team of advisors available through the Sunday Help Center and a customer service line that you can call for more help. It’s important to understand that its services renew yearly unless you cancel.
Lawnbright Great Lawn Guarantee
Lawnbright offers a 60-day pro-rated refund with no questions asked. If you’re unhappy with its services after 60 days, it’ll want to help you and may even work to get your lawn fixed while offering you a refund.
Lawn Doctor Guarantee
Lawn Doctor has a pretty long and inclusive guarantee. Basically, if you’re not 100% satisfied, it’ll make it right, which can include a reapplication at no additional charge or a refund for the full cost of your last application.
Weed Man Guarantee
If you’re unsatisfied with Weed Man’s services, it’ll send someone to visit within 48 hours to resolve the situation.
Lawn Love Total Satisfaction Guarantee
Lawn Love will return to your property to fix whatever is bothering you, free of charge. The only thing is, you have to let its team know within 24 hours, which can be impossible if you’re waiting for results or don’t notice certain mistakes.
How Do You Prepare for a Lawn Care Service?
Preparing your yard for a lawn care service is important to ensure the service provider can do their job properly. Here are some of the things you’ll want to do before your lawn care technician arrives:
Clear Everything Out
Remove toys, tools, and loose debris from the area the technician must spray or seed. This will ensure they have unobstructed access to your yard to avoid accidents and wasted time.
Remember, the easier you make it for the technician, the better they can do their job without rushing.
Identify Focus Points
While you probably have already worked with a customer service representative to discuss what tasks need to be performed, you’ll want to ensure you know what areas they’re focusing on to ensure the technician doesn’t miss anything.
If you’re not going to be home during your service, but a spouse or family member is, ensure they understand what to look out for.
Make Arrangements for Pets
If you have pets, make sure they’re not outside during your service call. If they have to be outside, ensure they’re secure and will not interfere with the work. Most technicians are more than happy to pet a happy dog, though.
Have Access to Water
The tech will need access to water and maybe even power. Make sure these resources are available and accessible.
How Much Do the Top-Rated Lawn Companies Typically Cost?
Typically, lawn care prices range between $600 and $1,200 annually and fluctuate widely, depending on the region. The level of service can also vary greatly, depending on the company and the time of year. DIY services are typically cheaper than hiring a full-service lawn care company but still more expensive than going to your local hardware store and buying the products yourself.
Additional services that typically require a fee may include:
- Lawn mowing
- Leaf removal
- Miscellaneous lawn care needs
FAQs About Lawn Care Services
Are lawn care products safe?
Products used by all landscaping companies are registered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In addition, most states have strict licensing requirements for any businesses that use herbicides for weed control. Further, some municipalities impose guidelines more stringent than the federal government concerning the use of chemical lawn care products.
Are lawn care services worth it?
The question you need to ask yourself is, how valuable is your time? If you feel your freedom to enjoy your weekends is worth more than the money you pay for professional lawn care services, it’s worth hiring a professional.
Also, how knowledgeable are you concerning the type of grass, trees, and shrubs you have? If you feel the risk of performing lawn maintenance is worth the potential loss, then you should proceed independently. Otherwise, you should bookmark this page.
Who will be working in my yard, and are they properly trained and licensed to apply necessary chemical treatments to my lawn?
All TruGreen specialists are qualified TruExperts who receive annual PhD-certified training to stay up-to-date on the identification and treatment of insects and diseases, weed control practices, and healthy grass growth. Each lawn treatment company has its own training and certifications for its specialists.
When should you use a lawn care service?
You should consider using a lawn care service if you’re dissatisfied with your lawn or feel that you’ve poured a lot of money and resources into it and haven’t gotten anything out.
There are methods and tactics that lawn care companies can use to bring even the most desolate lawns back to life. In some cases, it would cost you more money to get the same results.
What kinds of chemicals are generally used by lawn care services?
Where chemicals most often come into play is with weed-killing formulas. Organophosphates, carbamates, phenoxy, and benzoic acid herbicides are commonly used to kill dandelions, clovers, and crabgrass.
That said, many lawn care companies understand that homeowners desire a more natural and environmentally friendly approach and have adapted to consider that.
Methodology: How We Rank Lawn Care Companies
At Today’s Homeowner, we strive to bring you the most accurate information for your home improvement projects. Our lawn company ratings emphasize what matters most to you — a wide range of useful products with reliable service and impressive results.
Our ratings are based on publicly available information about each company, secret shopping via phone and internet, customer-review analysis, and discussions with lawn and landscaping specialists.
Each company can earn up to 100 points divided across five categories. We assess those point scores, then convert them to a five-star scale to determine rankings. We researched popular lawn care companies across the country to develop the following category breakdown:
- Plan Options (36 points): Lawn care companies earn the most points in this category if they offer a wide range of plans to fit various homeowner needs. Companies providing services like fertilization, aeration, seeding, and tree/shrub care will earn more points than providers with base-level plans.
- Additional Offerings (11 points): We score this category by evaluating additional offerings that enhance a company’s overall service selection. Companies that provide pest control services, organic lawn care products, and a la carte options score the highest in this category.
- Customer Service (25 points): We considered how far each company goes to ensure customers have convenient, intuitive access to products and services with contact forms, online chat features, and additional learning resources.
- State Availability (8 points): We factored each company’s state availability into its overall score. Companies with more locations and wider service areas score higher than those with limited availability.
- Trustworthiness (20 points): We score each company’s trustworthiness based on its Better Business Bureau accreditation and score, number of years in business, and Google Star ratings.
We monitor company data on an ongoing basis to keep rankings and information up to date.