December 27, 2023
Most Popular Bathroom Design Trends for 2024
Design trends are common in homes, but they come and go. Your home decor may follow a trend that feels dated and unattractive, and it may be time to switch things up.
The fact that trends change over time sounds like a drawback, but they bring significant benefits. Homeowners can start fresh with ready-to-adopt solutions that add beauty, style, and functionality. With bathroom design, making changes that follow a trend can also bring better home resale value. An on-trend home is more desirable and gives you more return on your investment.
This year’s bathroom design trends capture the benefits we've mentioned — blending beauty, functionality, and value.
Bathrooms are one of the most-used rooms in a home, so why not make them as appealing as possible? And since they're relatively small, they benefit significantly from improvement while being easier and more affordable to update than a kitchen.
This article provides ideas and guidance for freshening updated bathrooms to up their allure to you, your family, and potential buyers. Along the way, you'll learn about popular modern and alternative furnishings and materials used in the renovation industry.
Color makes a huge impact in small rooms like bathrooms.
Bathroom color trends usually offer a wide-ranging palette to suit different preferences, and 2024 offers some appealing options:
- Bathroom color is moving away from all white to more natural earth tones like terracotta and pastels like soft blues, greens, and pinks.
- Bathrooms are taking on even more color and vibrancy with stronger, brighter colors — and intentionally clashing patterns that you can bring in through wallpaper and decorative tile wainscoting, both popular this year.
- Darker colors and patterns are also popping up, particularly when paired with natural textures like wood vanities and eye-catching marble.
These are some popular materials being used in bathrooms this year:
- Stone and marble: Some bathrooms are using statement stone and tile — which functions like artwork — instead of wallpaper. You'll find them used in countertops, walls, and shower enclosures.
- Natural wood for paneling, wainscoting and flooring: Though floors and walls are subject to moisture in bathrooms, you can still choose natural wood for part of your bathroom decor or use materials like tile designed to resemble natural wood.
- Vintage, antique, and repurposed items: Examples include reusing dressers and tables as cabinetry, vanities, and sink counters. This trend is especially hot for powder rooms.
- Millwork: Millwork adds intriguing design features to cabinets and walls.
- Metallic accents: This trend can translate to features like fixtures, hardware, and mirror frames. Antique brass hardware is trendy for 2024.
Plumbing fixtures like faucets, handles and spouts can elevate the design of a bathroom to make it feel luxurious.
This year is seeing some truly standout fixtures.
Showerheads and hand sprayers with unique shapes and antiqued finishes are popular, especially in upscale builds.
Installing multiple showerheads is also on-trend.
Trending Floor Plan Options
Historically, enlarged open floor plans have enhanced the functionality and visual appeal of main living spaces. Now bathroom spaces are opening up too, as discussed below:
- Glass accent screens to replace doors, minimalistic lighting, additional mirrors, creative storage solutions, and even glass sinks make bathrooms feel bigger without sacrificing functionality.
- More use of seating, benches, and plants creates an indoor courtyard-like atmosphere.
- Bathrooms are turning into wet rooms (also called shower rooms) with unenclosed showers and walls and floors covered entirely in tile. This trend gives bathrooms a more expansive, streamlined look while adding the bonus of making them easier to clean. To learn more about wet bathrooms, see our article here.
- Owners are removing tubs to create large standing showers with more options for showerhead placement.
- Larger bathrooms with separate tubs and showers feature standalone tubs in unique shapes and sizes.
- Even with limited space, intelligent upgrades like the one showcased in this article improve design and functionality of small bathrooms.
Eco-friendliness is making its presence known in bathroom design trends. Popular sustainability-focused bathroom features include:
- Natural elements like wood shelves and wicker baskets
- Reclaimed materials like tile and wood
- Energy-efficient lighting
- Water-conserving faucets and toilets
- Low-flow shower heads
- Plants to lend a natural atmosphere and purify the air
Tech Trends in the Bathroom
On-trend and convenience-enhancing tech is boosting bathroom functionality and comfort, as we'll discuss below:
- One high-tech trend is automatically frosting glass. With the press of a button on a remote control or phone app, the glass turns from clear to frosted for instant privacy in showers and toilet rooms.
- Some homeowners add smart speakers, vents, and fans with voice assistants. Some products combine multiple functions in one device — for example, a bluetooth speaker and fan that can be controlled through a phone app.
- LED lighting improves the bathroom experience by allowing you to adjust colors and brightness to suit your mood. Mirrors can be backlit for a pleasing and soothing effect and some come with automatic demisting features. You can even control lighting through an app on your phone.
- More touchless faucets and hands-free soap pumps like those used in public toilets are showing up in homes.
- Smart toilets offer features like heated seats, nightlights, lids that automatically open and close, automatic flushing, and bidet features. These specialized toilets have long been popular outside the U.S. and are gaining ground here. Indications are that demand for intelligent toilets and bidets will continue to grow.
Why You Should Consider a Bathroom Overhaul
There are reasons to update your bathroom that go beyond aesthetics. Below we'll discuss some of the biggest.
In recent years bathrooms have become one of the most common focuses for home renovation projects, and one reason is the high return on investment (ROI). A House Method study shows:
- A mid-range bathroom remodel can bring a 70% ROI, and upscale renovations have an average ROI of 60%.
- A remodeled bathroom can increase your home’s value by 3%. Minor renovations yield an approximate $1.70 increase in your home’s value for every dollar you spend on the project.
Following trends in bathroom design and decor can boost ROI. Many home sellers find that bathrooms upgraded to reflect the latest trends in design, values and modern functionality fetch higher prices and sell faster. Just ensure your bathroom remodel is in keeping with the rest of your home.
Old plumbing fixtures such as tubs, toilets, and faucets can be inefficient and present unseen hazards. An older or poorly constructed bathroom may be home to leaks, dust, and mold that can degrade the functionality and value of your home and even make you ill.
Mold is common in bathrooms — especially in those lacking adequate air circulation. Common symptoms of mold exposure include stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes and skin. Some studies link mold to asthma, and if mold persists, exposure symptoms can worsen and can even be life-threatening. People with allergies, low-functioning immune systems, and chronic respiratory disease are particularly susceptible.
Renovating a bathroom helps you track down potential health hazards like mold and remove them. Upgrades and design alterations such as improved airflow will help keep your bathroom a healthy as well as a functional and beautiful environment.
Cost Considerations When Planning a Redesign
Labor and materials costs associated with remodeling have been increasing in recent years. House Method reports that bathroom remodel costs range from $4,200 to $47,000, with the average falling around $26,000. Pricing varies by city and state, so consider local costs carefully when planning a full bathroom remodel or even minor renovations.
Don't forget to consider also how additional lighting, water, and heat sources in your new bathroom may affect ongoing monthly utility costs.
Do plenty of research before diving into any remodels or upgrades, including consulting a local realtor to get a clearer idea of what styles and features are most in demand in your area.
An On-Trend Bathroom: Smart in More Ways than One
The bathroom trends we've discussed above will lend not only visual appeal to your bathroom — they'll also optimize your home experience and ROI. Make the most of your renovation planning time by choosing designs, materials, and smart technologies that fit your personal style and functionality needs. And remember that you don't need to go whole-hog with upscale and on-trend features — mid-level changes can provide even better ROI.
Learn More Through Bathroom
- How To Clean Grout Haze
- How To Add A Wood Frame To A Bathroom Mirror
- Bathroom Makeover On A Budget
- How To Clean A Bathroom Exhaust Vent Fan
- Making A Small Outdated Bathroom Look Fabulous
- Choose Neutral Colors And Classic Designs In A Bathroom
- The No Mix No Mess Alternative To Traditional Grout
- Caulking Around A Bathtub
- How To Fix A Leaking Toilet
- How To Caulk A Shower
- How To Install A Showerhead
- Caulking A Tub
- Replacing A Bathroom Vent Fan The Easy Way
- How To Maintain A Bathroom Vent Fan
- Bathroom Ventilation Fan Cleaning Tips
- Small Bathroom Upgrade Project
- How To Tile A Bathroom Floor
- The Simple Way To Hide Your Bathroom Trash Can
- Tip For Smoothing Silicone Caulk
- How To Caulk Around A Tub
- How To Apply Caulking In Hard To Reach Places
- How To Make A Bathroom Wheelchair Accessible
- How To Remove Micro Scratches On Acrylic Tub
- How To Hang A Shower Curtain From The Ceiling
- Tub Unclogger
- Repairing A Leaky Bath Faucet
- Replacing A Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- How To Properly Size A Bathroom Vent Fan
- How To Properly Vent A Bathroom Exhaust Fan In An Attic
- How To Replace A Bathroom Exhaust Vent Fan
- Most Popular Bathroom Design Trends
- Bath Renovation 101
- Soundproofing A Bathroom
- Bathroom Project
- 20 Years Of Bath Renovations
- 5 Ways To Make Your Bathroom Eco-Friendly
- Making Your Bathroom Beautiful And Functional
- Guide To All The Parts Of A Toilet Tank
- Bathtub Materials
- Shower Valves And Controls
- High End Toilet Brands
- Toilet Wont Flush
- How To Size A Bathroom Vent Fan
- 7 Tips To Create A Comfortable Bathroom
- Easy Beautiful Bathroom
- Bath Renovation Giving Your Bathroom A New Look
- How To Reduce Moisture On Bathroom Walls
- How To Tile A Shower Niche Without Bullnose
- Bathroom Va Va Vanities
- Macerating Toilets
- Incinerating Toilets
- Tankless Toilets
- High End Bathtub Brands 101
- Shower Wall Panels
- Bathroom Vent Fan Cfm Calculator
- Kitchen And Bath Ventilation For Healthy Indoor Air
- Budget Bathroom Makeover
- Bathroom Remodeling For First Time Homeowners
- Dark Dated Bathroom Becomes A Marble Marvel
- A 1950s Bathroom Gets The Ultimate Update
- Bathroom Remodel Cost
- A Better Bathroom
- Baths Baths And More Baths
- Is A Bath Remodel Worth It
- An Inexpensive Bathroom Update
- Bathroom Makeover
- Small Bathroom Remodel From Mid Century To Modern
- Master Bathroom Remodeling Project
- Family Bathroom Remodeling Project
- Boosting A Laundry Room And Baths Efficiency
- Reviving A 1970s Mellow Yellow Bathroom
- Master Bathroom Renovation Part 2
- Magic Renew Tub Tile Refinishing Kit
- An Easy Beautiful Bathroom For Under 850
- Master Bathroom Renovation Part 1
- Wax Vs Waxless Toilet Seals
- Glacier Bay Power Flush One Piece Toilet
- Tub Installation Overview
- Caulking Around Toilet
- How To Find And Remove Odors In A Bathroom
- Making An Ada Compliant Bathtub
- Installing A Hanging Light Fixture In A Bathroom
- What Should I Do With This Pink Marble Tub
- Spa Bathroom Ideas 5 Ways To Create A Relaxing Retreat
- This Bathroom Faucet Makes Cleaning A Breeze
- Revent Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- The Proper Way To Vent A Bathroom Fan
- Installing A Bathroom Vent Fan Through A Wall
- Lighting Options For Your Bathroom
- How To Prevent Mold On Tub And Shower Caulk
- This Bluetooth Bathroom Speaker Fan Also Functions As Your Phone
- Bathroom Vent Is Blowing Black Dust
- Master Bath Makeover Part 1
- Master Bath Makeover Part 2
- Small Bath Makeover
- Budget Bath Renovation
- Budget Bath How To Remodel Your Bathroom
- A Bath To Fit Any Budget
- Bath Building Bathroom Facelift
- Ryan And Chloes Bathroom Makeover
- Elegant Master Bathroom Upgrade For Just 1800
- How To Attach A Tub Drain To A Shower On A Concrete Slab
- Bath Basics Family Bathroom Remodel
- A Master Bathroom Makeover
- Bath Basics
- Bath Finale Master Bathroom Renovation Project
- Master Bathroom Rebuild
- Does This Chip Fix Live Up To Its Name
- 8 Mistakes People Make When Renovating A Bathroom
- Bathroom Remodeling Houston
- Remodeling A Small Bathroom In Your Home
- Tub Caulking Tips
- Toilet Options For Your Bathroom
- Faucet Options For Your Bathroom
- Tub Options For Your Bathroom
- Shower Surround Options For Your Bathroom
- How To Build A Toilet Topper Cabinet For Your Bathroom
- Rotating Bathtub Fix
- Shower Options For Your Home
- How To Choose A Tub And Toilet For Your Bathroom
- Reviving A 1970s Mellow Yellow Bathroom
- Tips On Where And How To Install A Bathroom Vent Fan
- You Won't Even Hear Revents Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- Preventing Mold And Mildew In Your Bathroom
- How To Get The Best Lighting Out Of Bathroom Light Fixtures
- How To Remove Hair From Your Shower Drain Less Than 10 Easy Steps
- Tips For Installing A Bathroom Exhaust Vent Fan
- Humidity Sensing Bathroom Vent Fan
Latest Content About Bathroom
December 15, 2023
December 15, 2023
Season 17|Episode 840
December 27, 2023
December 28, 2023
Season 21|Episode 935
December 28, 2023
November 20, 2023
Season 22|Episode 978
December 28, 2023