Based out of Mahwah, NJ, Select Home Warranty is known for its affordable home warranty plans, costing under $40 a month. Is Select Home Warranty the the best home warranty for you? In this article, we take a close look at Select Home Warranty’s coverage options, quotes and claims processes and more to help you decide for yourself.
In This Article:
- Pros & Cons
- Plans & Coverage
- Get a Quote
- Filing a Claim
- Our Verdict
- Frequently Asked Questions
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
Select Home Warranty Overview
Select Home Warranty is a very good home warranty provider, earning our “Best for Value Shoppers” designation. With Select, you get a large amount of coverage for an affordable price. If you can only afford a very low monthly premium, Select may be the right provider for you. You can read more about this provider’s coverage, cost, and more in the sections below.
The provider is available in all 50 states, and has three coverage plans to choose from. Customers love Select’s free roof leak coverage and overall affordability.
Pros & Cons of Select Home Warranty
✓ Free roof leak coverage
✓ Nationwide availability
✓ 90-day repair guarantee
✘ Doesn’t cover fixtures
✘ Could get charged multiple service fees during a visit if there are multiple types of repairs
Select Home Warranty Plans & Coverage
Three plans are offered by Select Home Warranty: Gold Care, Bronze Care, and Platinum Care. In addition to covering the items in the table below, Select offers free roof leak coverage. We recommend consulting a sample contract for more details on Select Home Warranty’s coverage, including information on maximum coverage caps. These coverage caps are detailed in a sample contract and will differ based on the specific appliance and system being covered.
Select has a number of optional add-ons: Pool pump, central vacuum, sump pump, well pump, roof leak, stand alone freezer, lawn sprinkler system and septic system
|Select Home Warranty Plan||Bronze Care||Gold Care||Platinum Care|
|Microwave oven (Built-in)||✓||✓|
|Garage door opener||✓|
Select Home Warranty Cost
There are two types of costs for home warranty plans: your monthly premium and your service fee. Your monthly premium is paid every month regardless of whether you need repairs. Your service fee is paid every time you need a repair. Select Home Warranty’s costs are among the lowest in the home warranty industry, making it an attractive provider for many homeowners.
The table below shows you the cost of Select Home Warranty’s monthly premiums and its service fee.
|Select Home Warranty Coverage||Cost|
|Bronze Care||About $35.83 per month|
|Gold Care||About $35.83 per month|
|Platinum Care||About $37.50 per month|
Get a Quote from Select Home Warranty
Filing a Claim with Select Home Warranty
Like with its quote process, Select Home Warranty gives you a couple of options to make a claim with the company. You can submit a claim by calling the company at 855-267-3532 or by using the company’s claim form.
Select Home Warranty offers a guaranteed response time of 24-48 hours, which is pretty standard in the home warranty industry. The company is available 24/7 for calls from its customers, and it also offers emergency services when an essential system or appliance breaks down.
Our Verdict on Select Home Warranty
Select Home Warranty is one of the best home warranty companies in the nation, and we named it “Best for Value Shoppers”. It offers some of the lowest monthly premiums and service fees for a significant amount of coverage. In addition, this provider offers free roof leak coverage.
The downsides to Select Home Warranty are that this provider charges repeat service fees and its customer service reviews are mixed. This provider is worth considering, but American Home Shield is a superior provider. We discuss why this provider is superior to Select Home Warranty in the section below.
Our Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
If you’re looking for a cheap home warranty plan that provides good value, Select Home Warranty may be the right fit for you. However, we recommend American Home Shield (AHS) over Select Home Warranty to our readers for the following reasons:
- Better reputation: AHS is the most popular home warranty company by far with one out of every two home warranty customers owning a contract with this provider. AHS is also six-time defending champions of the Women’s Choice award for the best home warranty, and it holds a solid three-star customer review rating based on over 5,000 customer reviews on its BBB webpage.
- Availability: American Home Shield serves 49 states, including all but Alaska.
- No repeat service fees: If a particular repair or replacement fails within 30 days, AHS will repair the failure without charging an additional service fee.
Frequently Asked Questions About Select Home Warranty
What is a home warranty?
A home warranty is an annual renewable service contract between you and a home warranty provider that pays to repair or replace the major appliances and systems in your home when they break due to normal wear and tear.
Do home warranties cover roofs?
Not all home warranty companies offer roof coverage; however, Select Home Warranty has an optional add-on for roofs. This coverage applies to roof leaks over all occupied areas of your home such as the living room, kitchen and bedrooms. Select Home Warranty often offers this coverage as a free benefit when you sign up for a new policy.
Does Select Home Warranty limit the number of repairs it will cover?
As long as the malfunctioning systems or appliances are covered by your plan, Select Home Warranty does not limit the number of repairs it will cover. This is true for all three levels of coverage offered by Select Home Warranty.
Does Select Home Warranty have a waiting period?
All of Select Home Warranty’s plans have a 30-day waiting period, the time between you purchasing the policy and coverage taking effect. During this time, you can add extra coverage or cancel your policy.
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.