A home warranty is a low-cost, high-reward scenario — as long as you find the right company. We’ve evaluated the best home warranty companies on metrics like plan options, coverage, cost, customer ratings and other factors to provide an unbiased recommendation. Below, we’ll provide a 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty review.
In This Article:
- Pros & Cons
- Plans & Coverage
- Get a Quote
- Filing a Claim
- Our Verdict
- Frequently Asked Questions
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Overview
Founded in 1983, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty is headquartered in Colorado and provides coverage in all states except Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Hawaii and Alaska.
The company has covered more than six million homes and states it pays 97.5% of claims. The company is a member of the National Association of Home Builders and the National Home Service Contract Association.
Pros & Cons of 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty
✓ Affordable combo plan
✓ Good add-on options
✓ Plans for new construction
✘ Above-average service fee ($85)
✘ Low customer ratings
Home Warranty Resources
- What is a Home Warranty?
- How Much Do Home Warranties Cost?
- Is a Home Warranty Worth It for You?
- Best Home Warranties in 2023
- Do Your Appliances Need Extended Warranties?
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Plans & Coverage
The company offers three main types of plans: HVAC + Water Heater, Major Appliances, and Everything Together. There is also a 2-10 Structural Warranty, which is an option for builders to protect a newly constructed home. It covers three areas of a home: workmanship, distribution systems, and structural defects. The workmanship is covered for one year, distribution systems for two years, and structural defects for 10 years.
The company offers coverage for a multitude of add-ons: Additional refrigerator, built-in wine cooler, freestanding freezer, wet bar refrigerator, ceiling fans, exhaust fans, attic fans, alarms, garage door opener, pre-season HVAC tune-up, HVAC surplus, roof leak, extended pipe leak, pool/spa equipment, septic system, water softener, well pump
Here is what is covered by 2-10’s main three plans:
|HVAC + Water Heater||Major Appliances||Everything Together|
|Central heating system||Refrigerator with ice maker||HVAC + Water Heater Plan|
|All types of thermostats||Dishwasher||Major Appliances Plan|
|Gas lines||Stove/oven/range||Pipe leak|
|Codes||Washer and dryer||Drain line stoppages|
|Permits and modification||Built-in microwave||Gas/electric water heater|
|Central refrigeration systems||Trash compactor||Toilets|
|Heat pumps||Garbage disposal||Tubs and showers|
|Evaporative coolers||Fixtures and valves|
|Water heater||Switches and outlets|
|Attic and exhaust fans|
|Garage door openers|
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Cost
The cost of 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans are on par with other home warranty companies. The HVAC + Water Heater and Major Appliances plans start as low as $33 per month or $396 per year. The Everything Together plan is about $45 per month or $540 per year. This cost will increase if you choose to cover individual add-ons.
The service fee for a technician to come to your home is $85, which is slightly above the industry average of $75.
Get a Quote from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty
Filing a Claim with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty
If you need to file a claim, homeowners, realtors and builders have different portals and numbers to request service.
- Homeowners: Log into the Homeowner Portal or call 800-775-4736.
- Realtors: Log into the Realtor Portal or call 800-795-9595.
- Builders: Log into the Builder Portal or call 800-488-8844.
Our Verdict on 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has standard warranty plans and coverage, and the prices are average. The Appliance coverage has a few perks: The company will try to match the color of your replacement appliance, you can get cash to replace the item instead of repair it, and you can get substantial discounts on certain appliance brands. If you decide to go with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty, we think the Everything Together plan is the best deal.
Our Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
Although 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has decades of experience in the business and a high claims record, we aren’t impressed with the customer reviews and ratings. There seems to be an issue with having quality technicians, which can lead to a lot of extra trouble and stress when repairs are needed. We believe a better alternative would be American Home Shield, which also has several decades of industry experience and a ShieldPlatinum Plan™ that is comparable to 2-10’s Everything Together option.
Here are some highlights:
- Accredited by the BBB with a B rating
- Extensive breadth of coverage
- Company responds to customer service requests within 24 hours 98% of the time
Frequently Asked Questions About 2-10 Home Buyers
How does 2-10 Home Buyers home warranty work?
2-10 Home Buyers home warranties work similarly to other home warranty plans. If a covered appliance or system in your home breaks or needs repairs, you can contact the company and file a claim by phone or through an online portal. Once your claim is filed, a technician will come to your home, inspect and repair the item for an $85 service fee.
Is 2-10 Home Buyers home warranty worth it?
A 2-10 Home Buyers home warranty is relatively average in terms of its pricing and what the plans cover. It can offer reliable service, but other home warranty companies such as American Home Shield provide lower prices and more comprehensive coverage.
Who owns 2-10 Home Buyers?
Genstar Capital, a private equity firm, acquired 2-10 Home Buyers in 2018. The company was founded in 1983 and has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2005. However, the company is currently working to address a pattern of complaints with the BBB around its timeliness and communication with filed claims.
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.
Reviews of Other Home Warranties