A home warranty covers the cost to repair or replace the major appliances and systems in your home that break due to normal wear and tear. This is different from a homeowners insurance policy, which covers damage to your home due to events such as fire, theft or natural disasters.
As someone reading a review of Choice Home Warranty, you’re probably looking for a top home warranty provider that gives you the coverage you need at the most affordable price. Keep reading to learn more about our research approach and why we recommend Choice Home Warranty.
In This Article:
- Coverage & Plans
- How Much Do These Plans Cost?
- Choice Home Warranty Reviews
- Our Verdict On Choice Home Warranty
- Our Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
- The Benefits Of Having a Home Warranty
- Frequently Asked Questions
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
Our primary goal is to enlighten and empower consumers like you who simply want a cost-effective home warranty plan without paying for coverage you don’t need or paying too much for the coverage you get. We want you to make an informed choice, so we bring you comprehensive reviews to help answer any questions that may arise in your search.
Finally, you’ll learn why we’ve chosen Choice Home Warranty as the best overall home warranty provider, including the company’s:
- Seamless transparency
- Sensible, comprehensive coverage
- Low service fees
- Quick and easy quote process
- Customer satisfaction
- Affordable prices and no hidden fees
Coverage & Plans
Like the vast majority of home warranty companies, Choice Home Warranty offers different levels of coverage. With a home warranty plan, you have a choice between two plans, the Basic Plan and the Total Plan.
The Basic Plan covers the following major appliances and home systems. The Total Plan covers everything in the Basic Plan plus some key additions.
|Basic Plan||Total Plan|
|Oven, stove and cooktop||✔||✔|
|Exhaust and ceiling fans||✔||✔|
|Garage door opener||✔||✔|
|Clothes washer and dryer||✔|
This provider also offers a number of add-on options so you can personalize your plan to fit your needs:
- Second refrigerators
- Well pumps
- Sump pumps
- Central vacuums
- Pools / Spas
- Limited roof leaks
- Stand-alone freezers
- Septic tank plumbing
- Septic systems
How Much Do Choice Home Warranty Plans Cost?
Premium Pricing and Service Fees
Our team got a sample quote directly from Choice Home Warranty for an address in Georgia, ZIP code 30097, and we received the following pricing details:
|Monthly Premium||Service Fee|
One of the biggest selling points for Choice Home Warranty is its straightforward pricing. Their service fees can go as low as $60, according to countless customer reviews praising Choice’s claims process. However, the company’s sample contract specifies that a service fee can be as high as $85.
As you continue your research into home warranty companies, you’ll discover that there are companies that offer more coverage than you need and some who don’t offer enough for an affordable price. That’s why it’s always important to read each company’s sample contract for specifications that may affect your overall out-of-pocket costs.
Home Warranty Service Fees: Industry Comparison
Choice Home Warranty has service fees that fall in the low-to-average range of typical home warranty service fees.
|Choice Home Warranty||$60-$85|
|Select Home Warranty||$75|
|American Home Shield||$75-$125|
|America’s 1st Choice||$75-$125|
Choice Home Warranty Reviews
The company has a BBB rating of C and 1,634 customer reviews as of this writing. Choice Home Warranty has its own section for customer testimonials on their website as well, sharing many examples of happy customers. For example, one homeowner review from the company site writes:
“I have had to use my warranty 4 times since getting my policy 2 yrs ago and I have always had prompt service and successful repairs. Very glad I have this policy!”—Theresa Marvin, June 15, 2019
Our Verdict On Choice Home Warranty
Ultimately, we recommend Choice Home Warranty as the best provider for aging homes. This provider offers a flexible plan and add-on options, as well as reasonable prices. Plus, there are additional perks with Choice Home Warranty that other top providers can’t provide, including:
- Limited Roof Leak Coverage. For a minimal addition to your monthly premium payment, this provider offers roof leak coverage as an add-on option, while most home warranty companies don’t.
- Plumbing Stoppages. Unlike Choice Home Warranty, the vast majority of home warranty providers also don’t include stoppage coverage with their plumbing system coverage.
- First Month Free. All new customers get their first month free, just for choosing Choice Home Warranty.
- Consumer-Relevant Add-On Options. Choice Home Warranty’s add-on options are simple, but appealing and relevant to the average homeowner.
- Exceptional Transparency. No other home warranty company provides the level of transparency that Choice Home Warranty exhibits with its online presence, in terms of specific coverages and costs, as well as contract specifications.
Choice Home Warranty provides comprehensive coverage with reasonable prices in the industry, with no bells and whistles to distract consumers like you from knowing what you need from your home warranty plan.
We also encourage you to read Trustpilot customer reviews for the company to see for yourself what the customer experience is really like.
Our Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
In our research, we found Choice Home Warranty was a great option, but our top pick is American Home Shield. This company offers a greater number of plan options that allow you to get just as much coverage as you need.
Below are a few of our highlights about American Home Shield:
- Three plan options. You can choose between the Appliances Plan, Systems Plan, and Combo Plan.
- Trusted brand. This provider has been in business since 1971, which is unique for the industry.
- Widespread availability. American Home Shield serves customers in 49 states—one of the highest we’ve seen among home warranty companies.
The Benefits Of Having A Home Warranty
There are two primary advantages of having your home protected with a home warranty plan:
- Budget Protection: Home repairs are inevitable for homeowners and can be costly enough to put a serious dent in your emergency fund. A home warranty covers your home’s major components for a yearly premium and minimal service call fees.
- Convenience: Your home warranty provider will connect you with a licensed contractor in your area when an appliance or system breaks, usually within 24 hours, eliminating the hassle of finding a reputable service provider yourself.
A home warranty not only protects your budget and home from unexpected repairs, it makes your life easier when something essential breaks in your home, providing the kind of peace of mind that makes you sleep better at night.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a home warranty cost?
The total cost you pay for your home warranty service contract will depend on the home warranty provider. However, there are three primary prices you want to look for that will give you a realistic idea of just how much you will be paying out of pocket.
- Yearly/monthly premium
- Service fees
- Your add-on coverage needs
How does a home warranty differ from homeowners insurance?
A home warranty covers your home’s appliances and systems when they need repair or replacement due to normal wear and tear. Homeowners insurance, on the other hand, covers the damage to your home due to events such as natural disasters, theft or fire.
What’s the difference between a manufacturer’s warranty and a home warranty?
A home warranty covers your major appliances and systems in one comprehensive package, while a manufacturer’s warranty covers only one. In addition, a manufacturer’s warranty typically expires one year after purchase, while a home warranty can be automatically renewed for as long as you own your home.
What if the technician sent to my home can’t repair my appliance or system?
If the covered item can’t be repaired for less than it costs to replace it, your home warranty will cover the cost of replacement, up to the coverage cap for the serviced item.