A home warranty covers the cost to repair or replace the major appliances and systems in your home that break due to normal wear and tear. This is different from a homeowners insurance policy, which covers damage to your home due to events such as fire, theft or natural disasters.
As someone reading a review of Choice Home Warranty, you’re probably looking for a top home warranty provider that gives you the coverage you need at the most affordable price. Keep reading to learn more about our research approach and why we recommend Choice Home Warranty.
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
- Limited roof leak coverage: For a minimal addition to your monthly premium payment, this provider offers roof leak coverage as an add-on option, which is rare in the home warranty industry.
- Plumbing stoppage coverage: Unlike Choice Home Warranty, the vast majority of home warranty providers don’t include plumbing stoppage coverage with their plumbing system coverage.
- First month free: All new customers get their first month free just for choosing Choice Home Warranty.
- Consumer-relevant add-on options: Choice Home Warranty’s add-on options are simple but appealing and relevant to the average homeowner, such as pool/spa equipment coverage and roof leak repairs.
- Exceptional transparency: No other home warranty company provides the level of transparency that Choice Home Warranty exhibits with its online presence in terms of specific coverage and costs, as well as contract specifications.
Choice Home Warranty Overview
Choice Home Warranty is an established company in the home warranty industry. Here are a few key facts to know about the company and its background:
- Was founded in 2008 and has covered more than one million homes across the country
- Offers plans in 48 states (not available in Washington or California)
- Doesn’t require home inspections before coverage starts
- Available for customer service inquiries or claims 24/7, including holidays
- Has a large network of contractors in each state it operates in
Choice Home Warranty Coverage & Plans
Like the vast majority of home warranty companies, Choice Home Warranty offers different levels of coverage. With a home warranty plan, you have a choice between two plans, the Basic Plan and the Total Plan.
The Basic Plan covers the following major appliances and home systems. The Total Plan covers everything in the Basic Plan plus some key additions.
|Basic Plan||Total Plan|
|Oven, stove and cooktop||✔||✔|
|Exhaust and ceiling fans||✔||✔|
|Garage door opener||✔||✔|
|Clothes washer and dryer||✔|
This provider also offers a number of add-on options so you can personalize your plan to fit your needs:
- Second refrigerators
- Well pumps
- Sump pumps
- Central vacuums
- Pools / Spas
- Limited roof leaks
- Stand-alone freezers
- Septic tank plumbing
- Septic systems
How Much Do Choice Home Warranty Plans Cost?
Premium Pricing and Service Fees
Our team got a sample quote directly from Choice Home Warranty for an address in Georgia, ZIP code 30097, and we received the following pricing details:
|Monthly Premium||Service Fee|
One of the biggest selling points for Choice Home Warranty is its straightforward pricing. Their service fees can go as low as $60, according to countless customer reviews praising Choice’s claims process. However, the company’s sample contract specifies that a service fee can be as high as $85.
As you continue your research into home warranty companies, you’ll discover that there are companies that offer more coverage than you need and some who don’t offer enough for an affordable price. That’s why it’s always important to read each company’s sample contract for specifications that may affect your overall out-of-pocket costs.
Home Warranty Service Fees: Industry Comparison
Choice Home Warranty has service fees that fall in the low-to-average range of typical home warranty service fees.
|Choice Home Warranty||$60-$85|
|Select Home Warranty||$75|
|American Home Shield||$75-$125|
|America’s 1st Choice||$75-$125|
Choice Home Warranty Reviews
The company has a BBB rating of B- as of June 2021. Choice Home Warranty has its own section for customer testimonials on their website as well, sharing many examples of happy customers. For example, one homeowner review from the company site writes:
“I have had to use my warranty 4 times since getting my policy 2 yrs ago and I have always had prompt service and successful repairs. Very glad I have this policy!”—Theresa Marvin, June 15, 2019
Here are a few Choice Home Warranty reviews from the BBB:
“I would most definitely recommend CHW at this point and will spread the word to my friends and my family. It was the most painless, satisfying experience ever. I was totally pleased with the customer service and the expediency of the company they hired to do the job. I’d give them six stars if I could.” —Shirley C. on July 25, 2018
“The technician they sent to fix my washing machine took one month to get the part he ‘thought’ would fix it. His ‘fix’ ended up flooding a room in my house. When I contacted the plumber and Choice, neither would return my calls. Any support calls also seem to be answered by call centers outside the U.S.” —Olivia H. on April 30, 2020
Our Verdict On Choice Home Warranty
Ultimately, we recommend Choice Home Warranty as the best provider for aging homes. This provider offers a flexible plan and add-on options, as well as reasonable prices.
Choice Home Warranty provides comprehensive coverage with reasonable prices in the industry, with no bells and whistles to distract consumers like you from knowing what you need from your home warranty plan.
We also encourage you to read Trustpilot customer reviews for the company to see for yourself what the customer experience is really like.
Our Recommended Providers
Choice Home Warranty
We recommend CHW to homeowners with older homes who don’t want to worry about denied coverage on systems or appliances due to their age. Customers can also sign up for coverage without having to schedule an inspection.
Here are a few primary highlights that make Choice Home Warranty stand out:
- First month free: Get the first month free when purchasing a plan from Choice Home Warranty.
- Limited roof leak coverage: Adding coverage for roof leaks only costs a few extra dollars per month and can help keep your property protected from unexpected leaks.
- Plumbing stoppages: Choice Home Warranty uniquely covers necessary repairs to clear plumbing stoppages, which typically isn’t covered in other providers’ policies.
American Home Shield
Although we found Choice Home Warranty to be a great option, our top pick is American Home Shield. This company offers a variety of plan options and flexible service fees, allowing you to customize coverage.
Below are some of our highlights of American Home Shield:
- Three plan options: You can choose between the ShieldSilver Plan, ShieldGold, and ShieldPlatinum Plan with increasing levels of coverage.
- Trusted brand: This provider has been in business since 1971, which is longer than most companies in the home warranty industry.
- Widespread availability: American Home Shield serves customers in 49 states, which is more than most home warranty companies.
The Benefits Of Having A Home Warranty
There are two primary advantages of having your home protected with a home warranty plan:
- Budget Protection: Home repairs are inevitable for homeowners and can be costly enough to put a serious dent in your emergency fund. A home warranty covers your home’s major components for a yearly premium and minimal service call fees.
- Convenience: Your home warranty provider will connect you with a licensed contractor in your area when an appliance or system breaks, usually within 24 hours, eliminating the hassle of finding a reputable service provider yourself.
A home warranty not only protects your budget and home from unexpected repairs, it makes your life easier when something essential breaks in your home, providing the kind of peace of mind that makes you sleep better at night.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a home warranty cost?
The total cost you pay for your home warranty service contract will depend on the home warranty provider. However, there are three primary prices you want to look for that will give you a realistic idea of just how much you will be paying out of pocket.
- Yearly/monthly premium
- Service fees
- Your add-on coverage needs
How does a home warranty differ from homeowners insurance?
A home warranty covers your home’s appliances and systems when they need repair or replacement due to normal wear and tear. Homeowners insurance, on the other hand, covers the damage to your home due to events such as natural disasters, theft or fire.
What’s the difference between a manufacturer’s warranty and a home warranty?
A home warranty covers your major appliances and systems in one comprehensive package, while a manufacturer’s warranty covers only one. In addition, a manufacturer’s warranty typically expires one year after purchase, while a home warranty can be automatically renewed for as long as you own your home.
What if the technician sent to my home can’t repair my appliance or system?
If the covered item can’t be repaired for less than it costs to replace it, your home warranty will cover the cost of replacement, up to the coverage cap for the serviced item.
Our primary goal is to enlighten and empower consumers like you who simply want a cost-effective home warranty plan without paying for coverage you don’t need or paying too much for the coverage you get. We want you to make an informed choice, so we bring you comprehensive reviews to help answer any questions that may arise in your search.
Finally, you’ll learn why we’ve chosen Choice Home Warranty as the best overall home warranty provider, including the company’s:
- Seamless transparency
- Sensible, comprehensive coverage
- Low service fees
- Quick and easy quote process
- Customer satisfaction
- Affordable prices and no hidden fees
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.