With its many beaches and beautiful weather, San Diego is a popular place to live. According to Redfin, the San Diego housing market is incredibly active, with houses staying on the market for an average of just 12 days. As of September 2021, home prices are also up 10.7% over this time last year.
You can add even more value to your San Diego home by remodeling your bathroom. Unless you have substantial remodeling experience, it makes sense to hire a professional bathroom contractor for the job. Whether you want a high return on investment when you sell or a customized bathroom for your own needs, we’re here to help you find the best bathroom remodeling companies in San Diego.
Top Bathroom Remodeling Companies in San Diego
- CALbath Renovations
- Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
- Edison Home Improvement
- Lumina Builders
- Creative Design & Build
1. CALbath Renovations
Address: 7626 Miramar Road, Suite 3500, San Diego, CA 92126
Phone number: (619) 299-9499
Our score: 96
In business since 1991, CALbath Renovations is a specialized bathroom remodeling contractor that’s family-owned and operated. It’s also accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating for its transparent business practices. CALbath spells out exactly what its customer service guarantee means on its website: a commitment to timeliness and respect.
CALbath Renovations Areas of Expertise
As the name implies, CALbath focuses exclusively on bathroom remodeling projects, not kitchens or other renovations. Specifically, its technicians have substantial experience with converting tubs to showers and installing acrylic bath systems. However, they can also perform general bathroom renovations, including tile, countertops, cabinets and more. This specialization earns the company the top spot on our list.
Areas Served by CALbath Renovations
CALbath has a location in San Diego and one in Orange County. The San Diego location serves the entire area from Chula Vista to Oceanside.
To schedule a free estimate, call CALbath Renovations or fill out the form on the company’s website.
2. Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
Address: 12147 Kirkham Road, Poway, CA 92064
Phone number: (858) 413-2305
Our score: 96
Another family-owned renovation business with a long history in the San Diego community, Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen has won multiple design awards from the National Kitchen and Bath Association for its bathroom remodels. Many satisfied customers specifically say that they would hire Remodel Works again for their next project. Additionally, every bathroom renovation comes with a five-year workmanship warranty.
Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen Areas of Expertise
Although the company’s name only mentions kitchen and bathroom renovation, Remodel Works can do everything up to and including whole-house interior remodeling. The company’s bathroom designers will take you through the entire process of consultation, design, material selection, logistics and final inspection.
Areas Served by Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
Homeowners anywhere in San Diego County can take advantage of Remodel Works’ services.
Schedule a free virtual consultation with one of Remodel Works’ contractors by filling out the form on the company’s website or giving the company a call.
3. Edison Home Improvement
Address: 2801 Camino del Rio S. Suite 315, San Diego, CA 92108
Phone number: (619) 993-2000
Our score: 95
Edison Home Improvement has been in business for more than a decade and has spent that time impressing its San Diego customers. Its exceptional reviews on Yelp mention the family-owned company’s reliability and professionalism, even when dealing with unexpected delays or changes, which are practically inescapable in renovation jobs.
Edison Home Improvement Areas of Expertise
Edison’s contractors can perform full bathroom design and remodeling, including tubs, showers, cabinets, countertops and lighting. Additionally, the company offers kitchen remodeling, focusing on countertops and cabinets. It can even take care of whole-home renovation projects.
Areas Served by Edison Home Improvement
Edison serves the entirety of San Diego County.
To get a free quote for your dream bathroom, call Edison Home Improvement or fill out the quick form on the company’s website.
4. Lumina Builders
Address: 4901 Morena Boulevard, Suite 702, San Diego, CA 92117
Phone number: (866) 858-5251
Our score: 95
In business since 2013, Lumina Builders offers home remodeling services of all types that come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. All of its contractors are certified, licensed and bonded in the state of California, and the company is fully equipped with plumbers, electricians and engineers to perform every facet of your remodel.
Lumina Builders Areas of Expertise
The bathroom remodeling contractors at Lumina specialize in making your bathroom feel more luxurious and roomy, even if there isn’t much space to work with. They can install walk-in showers and jacuzzi tubs, upgrade appliances and much more. Additionally, the company offers general contractors for nearly any interior or exterior residential project, including outdoor remodeling, garage conversion and even foundation repair.
Areas Served by Lumina Builders
Lumina serves San Diego and its surrounding neighborhoods.
Call Lumina Builders or click through a brief questionnaire on the company’s website to receive a free estimate.
5. Creative Design & Build
Address: 9275 Trade Place, Suite H, San Diego, CA 92126
Phone number: (866) 387-5423
Our score: 94
Although Creative Design & Build recently split off from a larger contracting company, its ownership nevertheless has 15 years of experience in the remodeling business. Somewhat unusually, the company offers regular business hours on Saturday mornings to better fit your schedule for free in-store or in-home consultations.
Creative Design & Build Areas of Expertise
Creative Design & Build offers the full spectrum of bathroom remodeling services, including installing or replacing shower tiling, toilets, bathroom fixtures, countertops, flooring, tubs, showers and vanities. The company also provides kitchen remodelers and whole-home renovators who can perform outdoor renovations such as roofing, hardscaping and painting.
Areas Served by Creative Design & Build
Creative Design & Build is available to homeowners throughout San Diego County.
For a free quote, call Creative Design & Build or request an estimate through the contact form on the company’s website.
How Much Bathroom Remodeling Costs in San Diego
Unfortunately, due to high real estate prices in general, bathroom remodeling costs are fairly high in San Diego. According to HomeAdvisor, most projects cost between $10,345 and $24,002 with the average costing $16,819. Depending on how extensive your redesign is, you could pay anywhere from $2,730 to $35,000. Ultimately, the price will depend on the cost of the materials you choose and the amount of labor you need.
Types of Bathroom Remodeling Projects
Remodeling a bathroom can refer to anything from changing out the hardware to completely gutting and redesigning the room. Here are some individual projects that may be right for your San Diego bathroom:
- Implementing cosmetic upgrades (paint, fixtures, lights etc.)
- Changing/expanding the floor plan (e.g., half bath to full bath)
- Refinishing or replacing cabinets, countertops or vanities
- Relocating plumbing fixtures
- Converting a tub to a shower (or vice versa)
- Replacing or upgrading toilets
- Improving lighting and ventilation
- Adding storage
Factors to Consider Before Hiring a Bathroom Remodeler
When deciding between bathroom remodelers in San Diego, here are a few important things to consider:
- Experience: Whoever is working on your bathroom should have experience specifically doing bathroom renovations, given the uniqueness of a bathroom’s appliances.
- Longevity: When a contractor has a substantial presence in the community over multiple years, you know that reputation matters.
- Reputation: The BBB rates businesses on a scale from A to F depending on the transparency of their business practices and their handling of customer complaints.
- Licensing: All contractors in California must have a current license. If it isn’t prominently displayed, ask.
- Insurance: The company you choose should have proof of liability insurance. While it’s not required by the state, workman’s compensation insurance is also a good thing to have.
When considering your choices for bathroom remodeling in San Diego, it’s important to do some comparison shopping. All the companies above offer either free in-home or virtual consultations. The consultation will give you a good idea of the kind of contractor you’ll be working with and whether their vision for remodeling plans matches up with yours. Remember that while budget is important, price shouldn’t be your guiding criterion — quality of work is key.
FAQs about Bathroom Remodeling in San Diego
What’s the return on investment on a remodeled bathroom in a San Diego home?
According to the 2019 Cost vs. Value Report on remodeling projects in various cities, the return on investment (ROI) for bathroom renovation in San Diego is 63% for an upscale, customized remodel and 67% for a midrange remodel. Other home improvement projects like siding or window replacement usually have higher ROIs, but bathrooms may have more personal value for the home’s occupants.
Can I remodel a bathroom myself?
That depends on the extent of the renovations you want. With some time and patience, you can certainly take care of some cosmetic changes yourself, including things like painting walls, replacing flooring and tile and installing a vanity. However, larger projects that require rewiring, converting a tub to a shower or changing the floor plan, among other things, will likely require a professional.
Do I need a permit to remodel my bathroom in San Diego?
Yes, you need both state and city permits for substantial remodeling. A professional renovator will know what you need and acquire them for you. As the homeowner, you can also apply for them, though this isn’t recommended unless you have the training to do the job yourself.
How We Chose the Top Bathroom Remodeling Companies
To help our readers find the best bathroom remodeling companies, we rated companies on relevant factors such as customer service, reputation and industry experience. Here’s an in-depth look at each factor we used in our methodology:
- Services: We scored each company based on the services offered. Popular bathroom remodeling services include toilet installation, bathtub installation and countertop replacement. Providers with the most comprehensive service offerings scored higher than those with fewer specializations.
- Reputation: We reviewed each company’s current ratings and accreditations from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as an indicator of reputation. Companies with an accreditation and A rating scored higher than remodelers with low ratings and a high number of complaints.
- Experience: Companies with more experience in the industry scored higher than newer contractors, since they generally have more knowledge and expertise related to remodeling bathrooms.
- Guarantees: Many bathroom remodelers offer guarantees to ensure their services meet their customers’ standards. Providers that offer money-back guarantees or warranties on their remodeling services earned more points than those without them.
- Customer service: When choosing a local bathroom contractor, customer service can be the difference between a good or bad experience. We awarded more points to companies that prioritize customer service by offering online quotes, free estimates, weekend availability and same-day service.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.