Published September 8, 2015
The Basics of Garage Care
The garage is one of the most versatile rooms in your house. A garage can keep your vehicle safe, store your possessions, function as a workshop, and much more. However, a garage can quickly become cluttered without proper maintenance and upkeep. Disorganized garages can lead to accidents, damaged vehicles, and broken possessions. Furthermore, a cluttered and unclean garage will be a haven for pests like rats, roaches, spiders, and other creepy-crawlies.
To ensure your garage is safe, functional, and well-maintained, you should always do the following:
• Declutter your boxes and clean frequently:
- The garage can easily become the default storage space for many household items. This bad habit can lead to clutter and disorganized storage. We recommend always throwing away any garbage in your garage and thoroughly decluttering twice a year.
• Inspect for pests:
- Pests love damp, dark spaces with lots of nooks and crannies to hide in, making garages prime real estate. We recommend keeping an eye out for common pest indicators like frass, mouse droppings, spiderwebs, small holes in boxes, and foul smells.
• Give your garage door a checkup:
- Experts say that the average American garage door opens over 1,000 times each year. While these doors are built to last, you should always give them a yearly checkup to make sure they’re working properly.
• Keep your garage floor in good condition:
- A cement floor will last most homeowners the lifetime of their house. But, small cracks, chips, and gaps can lead to serious trouble later on. If you spot a damaged area of your garage floor, you should handle it sooner than later, especially if it’s a crack larger than one-quarter of an inch in width.
Keeping your garage in good condition is an essential part of homeownership. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your garage in good condition or are looking for ways to improve your garage’s functionality, check out some of our articles listed below.
Latest Content About Garage
2015 Toro “Get Your Garage Back” Contest Winner
Published June 5, 2015
Season 17|Episode 842
Published February 2, 2015
Published April 14, 2014
Season 16|Episode 818
Published February 24, 2014
Season 8|Episode 601
Published June 27, 2013
Garage Organization and Storage Project
Published January 28, 2013
Season 15|Episode 786
Published November 12, 2012
How to Organize and Add Storage to Your Garage
Published January 10, 2012
Published May 28, 2011
Applying Epoxy Coating to Kuppersmith Project Garage Floor
Published May 2, 2011
Organize Your Garage to Clear Out Clutter
Published September 30, 2010