If you need more storage, consider installing an adjustable metal track closet system.
Track systems offer much more storage space than a standard hanging rod and shelf, and they can be easily rearranged to meet your changing needs.
Here’s how to install this popular system:
- Remove the existing shelf and rod from your closet.
- Lay the track storage components out on the floor and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to see how they fit together.
- Use a stud finder to locate and mark the position of studs on the closet wall.
- Secure the horizontal track to the back wall near the ceiling with toggle bolts where there aren’t any studs, and wood screws where there are some.
- Position the vertical standards on the wall every 24 inches or less, and secure them to the wall using toggles or screws.
- Use a hacksaw, bolt cutters, or reciprocating saw to cut the wire shelves to length.
- Mount the shelf supports on the standards.
- Position the wire shelves, hanging rods, and wire baskets on shelf supports where desired.
Watch this video for step-by-step instructions on how to install a track storage system in your closet.