Today’s Homeowner’s 4 Seasons of Home Ownership is a curated collection of how-to videos, articles and tips to keep your home running smoothly throughout the year. The summer checklist focuses mainly on the exterior of the house, paying close attention to the siding and trim, fencing and gates, outdoor furniture and grill, driveway and sidewalks.
See how we helped a family take on the summer checklist in the 4 Seasons of Home Ownership: Summer episode of Today’s Homeowner With Danny Lipford. And, check out Simple Steps to Summer Prep for more info.
Top 10 Must Do
- Change AC and heating system filters.
- Flush out AC drain line with bleach twice during the summer.
- Check for loose railings or damage on wood decks. Repair, if needed.
- Inspect fencing and gates for damage. Repair, if needed.
- Clean all outdoor furniture.
- Thoroughly clean and inspect outdoor grill.
- Have fireplace chimney professionally inspected and cleaned.
- Scrape any loose paint from siding and wood trim, then prime and paint.
- Clean all windows inside and out.
- Pull all weeds and add mulch to gardens and planting beds.
If Time and Budget Allow
- Clean grilles and fan blades on bathroom exhaust fans.
- Inspect for cracks in concrete foundation walls, driveways and sidewalks. Fill cracks with concrete repair caulk.
- Repair cracks in asphalt driveway. Re-coat, if needed.
- Clean and deodorize garbage disposal.
- Wash or replace shower curtains.
- Remove all heating/cooling registers (grilles); thoroughly clean and replace.