It’s the most wonderful time of the year — that means sipping hot cocoa, watching Christmas films and spending plenty of time in front of a fireplace.
But before you use that fireplace, practice these holiday fire safety tips!
We will also talk about these topics:
- Suggestions for cleaning a fogged-up door on a bathtub enclosure
- What to do about sinking pavers in your walkway
- How to fix a door hinge where the screws keep popping out
- Pro-tips on how to remove high-gloss enamel-type paint from ceilings and walls
- Blending new latex paint into an old paint job
- Removing rust stains left from a toilet on a linoleum floor
- Tips to stain replacement deck boards after they’ve been indoors for several months
- Suggestions for finishing a basement
- Finding the power source of an outdoor outlet
In the Aisles of The Home Depot
As winter approaches, it’s the perfect time to use that fireplace and enjoy the holiday season. But it’s important to do so safely.
We caught up with our friend Danny Watson from The Home Depot to share these fire safety tips:
- Make sure smoke detectors are installed on every level of your home. The Kidde Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector alerts when it detects invisible fire particles as well as poisonous carbon monoxide gas — even during power outages! The voice warning function will verbally announce “fire” or “warning: carbon monoxide” when either is detected.
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that don’t fall off when touched. Or carefully pick out an artificial tree that is flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Add water to your tree stand every day. A dry Christmas tree can burn very hot and very fast. Always keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher like the Kidde Basic Use Fire Extinguisher nearby for common combustibles, liquids, and electrical fires.
- Make sure your Christmas tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, space heaters or heat vents. Also, make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Inspect holiday lights each year before you put them on your tree. Replace any light strands with frayed wires or excessive wear or loose bulb connections.
- Always turn off Christmas lights before going to bed or leaving home. Schedule your Christmas lights automatically with the Defiant Wi-Fi Bluetooth Plug with Outlet powered by Hubspace so you never have to worry again!
This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product from these links, we will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Best New Products
|The Milwaukee Cordless Handheld Blower is sure to clear debris from the walkways of your home. Learn More >>|
Other Products and Links Mentioned
- Kidde Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Kidde Basic Use Fire Extinguisher
- Defiant Wi-Fi Bluetooth Plug with Outlet
- KILZ RESTORATION Interior Primer
- Krud Kutter
- M-1 Paint Deglosser
- Gutter Guards: The DIY-Friendly Guide to Maintaining Rain Gutters
- Refreshing a First-Time Homeowner’s Kitchen
- How to Dress Up Your Shed’s Exterior