If you’re an Alabama homeowner looking for some professional lawn care services, you may have come across Raising Men Lawn Care. The non-profit, founded by Huntsville resident Rodney Smith Jr., is committed to helping shape the future of America’s youth by helping young men and women learn about the value of charity and giving back. But how exactly is Raising Men Lawn Care lending a hand — and how can you request service from its network?
The reviews team has evaluated Raising Men Lawn Care in this in-depth review, looking into factors such as plans, costs and more.
While Raising Men Lawn Care is an impressive charity that’s helping shape the future of America’s youth, its services aren’t available to everyone, and the charity shouldn’t necessarily be used like a paid lawn care service.
Our Preferred Lawn Care Companies
Today’s Homeowner recommends several lawn care companies to our readers. Below you’ll see our latest suggestions and their unique superlatives. You can also explore our review of the best lawn care services to find your ideal option.
Raising Men Lawn Care Pros and Cons
So, should you request service from Raising Men Lawn Care? The tabs below show some of the company’s pros and cons.
Raising Men Lawn Care’s Offerings
Raising Men Lawn Care isn’t a standard lawn care company. The charitable organization was founded in 2016 by Rodney Smith Jr., a born-and-raised Alabama resident. Smith Jr.’s mission is a simple one — to help young men and women learn about the value and joy that comes from working hard and giving back to members of their communities.
Raising Men Lawn Care’s services are provided by volunteers aged seven to 17. Contrary to the name, both boys and girls participate in the program. Raising Men Lawn Care currently provides the following services to disadvantaged or elderly homeowners:
- Raking leaves — Raking leaves can help keep your grass growing and your lawn greener. Raising Men Lawn Care provides raking services during the fall months.
- Lawn mowing — Mowing your lawn is a crucial piece of the overall puzzle of lawn care health. Raising Men’s most popular service is lawn mowing, which is provided by volunteers.
- Snow removal — Are you having trouble shoveling your walkway or exiting your home safely? Raising Men Lawn Care helps with snow removal in the winter months.
Raising Men Lawn Care provides services on an as-needed basis. To request service, you can fill out a request for contact form on its website.
As a nonprofit, Raising Men only offers services to disadvantaged homeowners or homeowners who are unable to handle the physical strain of lawn care. To qualify for service, you must be:
- A single parent
- A senior citizen
- A veteran
- A homeowner living with a disability that limits your income or prevents you from managing your own lawn care
You must also be able to take a photo of your lawn after you’ve received service.
Raising Men Lawn Care Locations
Raising Men Lawn Care is available in the following Huntsville, Alabama counties:
- Madison County
- Morgan County
- Limestone County
- Lawrence County
- Jackson County (only as far as Scottsbro)
Raising Men also has a chapter in Laredo, Texas serving Webb County residents.
Use the panel below to get quotes from other popular lawn care companies in your area:
The Cost of Raising Men Lawn Care
Founder Rodney Smith Jr. believes that giving back is invaluable. All of Raising Men Lawn Care’s services are completely complimentary. If you’d like to make a donation to the nonprofit to further its mission, you can provide support online with a credit card or mail a check to the following address:
Raising Men Lawn Care Service
PO box 2182
Madison, AL 35759
Donations made to Raising Men go towards lawn care supplies and travel expenses for the children involved in the program. You can also assist the nonprofit by purchasing lawn care supplies directly through its Amazon wish list.
Raising Men Lawn Care is an amazing gift to the boys and girls of America, and the elderly and disadvantaged homeowners across the country.
Ultimately, Raising Men Lawn Care isn’t a traditional lawn care company — it’s a charity service that isn’t available to everyone. Even if you’re within Raising Men’s service area, you should use a paid lawn care service if you have the means to do so. If you are living on a limited income and you meet its standards for service, Raising Men Lawn Care might be right for you.
Top Pick: TruGreen
The reviews team’s top recommended lawn care service provider in the United States is TruGreen. TruGreen is a nationwide lawn care service provider, providing services in all states except for Hawaii and Alaska. Read our assessment of TruGreen for more insight.
TruGreen has a great reputation and offers five different lawn care plans, with services ranging from aeration to overseeding to pest and weed control. All plans promise customer satisfaction with the Healthy Lawn Guarantee. TruGreen’s simple online quote system and availability across the continental United States make it the top choice for most homeowners.
Methodology: How We Rank Lawn Care Companies
At Today’s Homeowner, we strive to bring you the most accurate information for your home improvement projects. Our lawn company ratings emphasize what matters most to you — a wide range of useful products with reliable service and impressive results.
Our ratings are based on publicly available information about each company, secret shopping via phone and internet, customer-review analysis, and discussions with lawn and landscaping specialists.
Each company can earn up to 100 points divided across five categories. We assess those point scores, then convert them to a five-star scale to determine rankings. We researched popular lawn care companies across the country to develop the following category breakdown:
- Plan Options (36 points): Lawn care companies earn the most points in this category if they offer a wide range of plans to fit various homeowner needs. Companies providing services like fertilization, aeration, seeding, and tree/shrub care will earn more points than providers with base-level plans.
- Additional Offerings (11 points): We score this category by evaluating additional offerings that enhance a company’s overall service selection. Companies that provide pest control services, organic lawn care products, and a la carte options score the highest in this category.
- Customer Service (25 points): We considered how far each company goes to ensure customers have convenient, intuitive access to products and services with contact forms, online chat features, and additional learning resources.
- State Availability (8 points): We factored each company’s state availability into its overall score. Companies with more locations and wider service areas score higher than those with limited availability.
- Trustworthiness (20 points): We score each company’s trustworthiness based on its Better Business Bureau accreditation and score, number of years in business, and Google Star ratings.
We monitor company data on an ongoing basis to keep rankings and information up to date.