If you keep your dog in a fenced in backyard, chances are that he’ll try to dig his way to freedom. Dogs often dig under a gate, since there’s has a gap under it to allow the gate to swing open.
To prevent your dog from digging under a gate:
- Cut a pressure treated 4” x 4” landscape timber so it fits tightly between the gate posts.
- Dig a trench across the gate opening as deep as the thickness of the timber.
- Position the timber in the gate opening so there is just a small gap between the timber and bottom of the gate.
- Secure the timber in place by toenailing galvanized nails or screws through each end of the timber into the gate posts.
- Backfill the trench with dirt so the ground is level.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep It from Sagging (video)
- How to Set Fence Posts in Your Yard (video)
- Choosing the Right Fence (article)
- Fences: Surrounding Your Surroundings (video/article)
- Installing a Fence (article)
Comments are closed.