We’re transforming a shed into an art studio for homeowner Linda Johansen.
Linda is native to Mobile, Alabama, and has settled in Fairhope, Alabama, after adventuring around the world with Delta Airlines. She has gradually redone her home one room at a time but needs a little help with her shed — and we’re happy to help!
Preparing the Shed
For prep, we didn’t have to do too much. Linda helped us out by cleaning out as much as she could so we could get right to the renovation.
We start by removing the siding that faces the street to close up the door. By closing up the door, both security and more room for Linda’s shed.
We also removed the small concrete ramp leading to the door. It’s rare if the slab of the concrete floor and the ramp are poured at the same time. Since there’s no line between the ramp and the concrete slab, I’m using a saw to score it so the ramp has a clean break.
Refinishing the Cabinets
Linda has the original kitchen cabinets that came with her home. Like us, Linda hates to waste perfectly good furniture. So instead of getting rid of the kitchen cabinets, we’re refinishing and putting them in Linda’s she-shed!
Chelsea and Linda took to sanding the old cabinets and painting them a fun shade of blue. This shade of blue is actually color-matched from one of Linda’s pillows and makes the space pop more!
Adding a Potting Bench
To add more of Linda’s personality to the shed, we’re building a free-standing potting bench. It enhances the appeal of the shed from the outside while also allowing storage for Linda’s garden tools.
With the potting bench in place, Linda’s shed is now a home for all of her hobbies!
When we first saw Linda’s shed it was attractive on the outside but had yet to reach its potential on the inside. Linda needed a space for her creative side to paint and garden as she pleases.
By covering up the door facing the street, we created more wall space for functionality. The refinished cabinets add a pop of color and creativity to this artist’s shed. And the potting bench on the side of the shed adds even more of Linda’s personality to her hobbies!
Other Tips from this Episode
How to Clean Rusty Tools to Make Them Look Brand New
|Best New Products
The Durable Husky Storage Shelf
Products Featured in this Episode
- Light fixture: Home Decorators Collection Leonie 6-Light
- Rug: Orian Rugs Indoor/Outdoor Runner Rug
- Air conditioner: LG Electronics Window Air Conditioner
- Cabinet paint color: Benjamin Moore Caribbean Cool mixed in Behr Marquee Satin paint
- Wall color: BEHR PRO White Base Dead Flat Interior Paint
- Concrete stain: BEHR PREMIUM Washed Khaki
- Paint sprayer for walls: Graco Magnum X7 Airless Paint Sprayer & Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer
- Paint sprayer for cabinets: HomeRight HVLP Sprayer
- Siding: James Hardie Fiber Cement Primed Cedarmill Lap Siding
- Cabinet hinges: Liberty Satin Nickel Self-Closing Cabinet Hinge
- Ceramic knobs: Liberty Round Cabinet Knob
- Plywood countertop: AC Sanded Pine Plywood Panel
- Sealer used on countertop: Varathane Clear Satin Water-Based Interior Polyurethane
- Barstool: StyleWell Adjustable Backless Counter Stool
This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product from these links, we will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.