When replacing a broken or cracked glass window pane in your home, be sure to wear protective gloves. Here’s how to go about it:
- Use a utility knife, scraper, chisel, or 5-in-1 painter’s tool to remove the old glazing and metal fasteners around the broken pane.
- Carefully remove the broken pieces of glass.
- Measure the opening for the glass, and subtract 1/8” from the height and width for an easy fit.
- Cut the glass using a straight edge and glass cutter, or have it cut for you at a home center or hardware store.
- Clean and prime the bare wood around the window and allow to dry.
- Set the glass pane in the opening.
- Hold the glass in place with push or glazier’s points pressed into the frame on each side of the frame.
- Fill the opening between glass and frame with glazing putty.
- Allow the putty to dry before priming and painting over it.
Watch this video to find out more.