Arkansas residents have access to beautiful forests, the Ozark Mountains, and some of the best residential solar installers in the country, from national companies like SunPower and ADT to local businesses like Seal Solar and Sun Valley Renewables.
This article is designed to help make it easier for Arkansas residents to choose a solar provider by providing the essential facts and insight needed to make an informed decision.
What Are the Top Solar Installation Companies in Arkansas?
Below you’ll find a detailed look at the seven best solar panel installation companies in Arkansas, as well as some general advice for choosing a solar energy company.
- SunPower: Best National Provider
- Seal Solar: Best Local Provider
- Sun Valley Renewables: Outstanding Local Installer
- ADT Solar: Outstanding Solar Warranty
- Tesla: Best Technology
- Perihelion Solar: Outstanding Regional Provider
- New Dawn Solar: Outstanding Local Installer
Compare the Highest-Rated Solar Companies in Arkansas
Here’s how the top seven solar companies in Arkansas compare at a glance.
|Company||Our Take||Our Rating||BBB Rating||Warranty||In-House Installation||Cost|
|SunPower||Best National Provider||9.8||A+||25 years for equipment, workmanship, and efficiency||Sometimes||$$$$|
|Seal Solar||Best Local Provider||9.7||A+||25–30 years for performance, 10–15 years for equipment||Yes||$$$|
|Sun Valley Renewables||Outstanding Local Installer||9.6||A+||30 years for equipment and performance||Yes||$$$|
|ADT Solar||Outstanding Solar Warranty||9.5||A-||25 years for equipment, workmanship, and performance||Yes||$$$|
|Tesla||Best Technology||9.4||B||25 years for equipment, 10 years for workmanship||No||$$|
|Perihelion Solar||Outstanding Regional Provider||9.3||A+||25 years for equipment and workmanship||Yes||$$$|
|New Dawn Solar||Outstanding Regional Installer||9.2||Not rated||25 years for equipment, 5 years for workmanship||Yes||$$$|
SunPower is one of the solar industry’s oldest and most well-respected companies. It was founded in 1985 and has been an industry leader ever since, bringing premium rooftop solar to homeowners across the country.
Read the full Sunpower review.
SunPower’s systems are among the most efficient on the market and feature the company’s own Maxeon panels. The company’s solar panel systems are known for their durability and longevity, and the company backs its equipment and labor with an excellent 25-year warranty. The only downside to choosing SunPower is the cost. SunPower is a premium brand that’s not afraid to charge premium prices, making them prohibitively expensive for some people.
SunPower Pros & Cons
- Highly efficient Maxeon Panels
- More than 30 years of experience in solar
- Excellent comprehensive warranty
SunPower Cost, Warranty, & Services
SunPower is not a local Arkansas solar company but ranks number one on our list due to how much better its systems perform than most of its competition. Still, if large, national businesses aren’t for you, SunPower might not be the best choice.
- Average Cost: SunPower systems are expensive and typically cost well above the Arkansas statewide average.
- Warranty: SunPower backs its equipment, labor, and performance with an extremely solid 25-year warranty.
- Solar Services: The company installs solar panels, battery backups, electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, and offers detailed solar monitoring.
- Financing Options: SunPower customers can pay in cash or take out a solar loan. The company also offers solar leases and power purchase agreements (PPAs), although the solar industry is moving away from these options.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: Currently, SunPower offers $100 for every customer you recommend who signs up with the company for an in-home visit to get a quote and initial inspection.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: SunPower is currently transitioning to in-house installations, but some of its systems are still installed by third-party contractors.
- Solar Panel Brands Offered: One of SunPower’s biggest advantages over other solar companies is its use of proprietary solar technology. However, this also means that customers don’t have a choice of equipment if they choose SunPower.
- Partnerships: SunPower is the San Francisco 49ers solar provider of choice, and the company works with a countrywide network of certified solar installers.
Seal Solar is an Arkansas-based company that installs residential solar systems in the Little Rock area. The company offers excellent customer service and is extremely knowledgeable about Arkansas’ solar policies and solar incentives. As a smaller company, Seal Solar can provide unmatched one-on-one attention, although its brand selection and customization options are somewhat limited.
The company is a full-service solar company, so you don’t have to worry about coordinating with an independent contractor for installation. The company also offers an outstanding warranty that holds up next to the warranties from much larger businesses.
Seal Solar Pros & Cons
- Based in North Little Rock
- Fantastic customer support
- Outstanding warranty
- Limited coverage area
- Brand selection is lacking
Seal Solar Cost, Warranty, & Services
If you prefer to stick to a local solar company and live near Little Rock, Seal Solar deserves your attention. The company offers great prices and services, making them an attractive option — as long as you don’t care about your solar system equipment’s brand.
- Average Cost: Seal Solar is an average-priced local solar installer.
- Warranty: Seal Solar’s warranty is outstanding. The company offers between 25 and 30 years of coverage for system performance and 10–15 years of coverage for equipment. While there’s room to improve the equipment warranty, 10–15 years is nothing to sneeze at, and the performance warranty is among the best in the industry.
- Solar Services: The company offers solar panels, energy storage, and EV chargers.
- Financing Options: Seal Solar accepts cash and solar loans.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: As of this writing, Seal Solar has a refer-a-friend program that rewards you $50 for every customer you recommend who completes a consultation, $525 for every person who signs up on your recommendation, and an extra $525 bonus for every three referrals you make.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: Seal Solar is an all-in-one solar provider that handles the entire installation process in-house.
- Solar Panel Brands Offered: Seal Solar’s brand selection isn’t the best, but the company installs SolarEdge, Silfab, and Tesla products.
- Partnerships: Seal Solar has a partnership with Evolve Auto to bring innovative EV charging to residents in and around Little Rock. The company also has several technicians certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP).
Sun Valley Renewables
Sun Valley Renewables was founded in 2016 and has quickly made a name for itself in the Arkansas solar community. The Conway-based company offers a good selection of equipment from several leading brands and provides outstanding customer service, according to customer reviews. Unfortunately, the company’s services can’t compete with larger businesses, so Sun Valley is only a good choice if you want a basic solar installation.
Some people might be wary of doing business with such a young company, so to help reduce their concerns, Sun Valley Renewables offers one of the best solar warranties we’ve seen. The company backs its systems with a massive 30-year warranty covering both equipment and performance, making it one of the safest bets in the entire solar industry.
Sun Valley Renewables Pros & Cons
- Superlative customer service
- Decent selection of brands
- Best warranty around
- Doesn’t offer batteries or EV chargers
- Relatively inexperienced
Sun Valley Renewables Cost, Warranty, & Services
If you want to patronize a local Arkansas business and get one of the best warranties available not just in Arkansas but anywhere, Sun Valley Renewables is an excellent choice.
- Average Cost: Sun Valley Renewables is a below-average to average cost solar provider, keeping costs down by offering a limited number of solar services.
- Warranty: Sun Valley Renewables 30-year warranty for performance and equipment is among the best in the business and goes a long way to eliminating any questions about the young company’s dependability.
- Solar Services: Sun Valley’s solar services are its Achilles heel. The company only offers basic solar panel installations and system monitoring, so you’ll have to look elsewhere if you want storage options or EV charging capabilities. However, the company does offer energy-efficiency upgrades to help keep your system healthy throughout its life.
- Financing Options: The company accepts cash and solar loans, choosing to forgo leases and PPAs as the industry moves towards more customer-friendly financing options.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: Sun Valley Renewables offers $1,000 for every customer you refer who signs up with the company.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: Sun Valley Renewables is an end-to-end solar company that handles installations internally.
- Solar Panel Brands Offered: Sun Valley Renewables uses solar equipment from LG, Mission Solar Energy, UniRac, IronRidge, Enphase, Roof Tech, and Fronius.
ADT acquired the Sunpro solar company in late 2021, marking the beginning of the company’s foray into renewable energy. ADT Solar is technically a new company but is building its solar business on top of Sunpro’s established infrastructure, giving it a humongous head start. The company’s service area is extensive and covers most of the state, including major metropolitan areas like Little Rock, Fayetteville, and Fort Smith.
Read an in-depth review of ADT Solar.
Even though ADT Solar is not exclusively an Arkansas solar company, it offers Arkansas residents outstanding value and is one of the best solar installers available in the state. The company’s warranty is one of the best around, and its selection of brands and services is solid. The only downside to choosing ADT Solar is its customer service, which can be unresponsive, according to some customer reviews.
ADT Solar Pros & Cons
- Excellent warranty
- Great selection of quality products from top brands
- Continues Sunpro’s tradition of excellence
- Customer support is lacking
- Prices are on the high side
ADT Solar Cost, Warranty, & Services
ADT Solar benefits from being a massive national corporation, allowing it to offer more services and carry more brands than most local companies. However, the tradeoff is that the company can be difficult to get a hold of when something goes wrong, making problems a hassle despite the company’s excellent solar warranty.
- Average Cost: ADT Solar’s prices are around the state average in Arkansas, so you can go solar with this company without breaking the bank.
- Warranty: ADT Solar offers one of the best warranties in the solar industry, covering your entire solar system for 25 years. The company’s warranty covers the installation, performance, and equipment.
- Solar Services: ADT Solar installs panels, battery backups, and EV charging stations and offers energy-efficiency upgrades.
- Financing Options: ADT Solar takes cash and accepts solar loans.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: The company currently offers $1,000 for all referred customers who sign up for service based on your recommendation. Referrals are managed through an easy-to-use mobile app.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: ADT Solar springboards off Sunpro’s established installation network and installs its systems in-house.
- Solar Panel Brands Offered: ADT Solar customers can choose from high-quality brands like Panasonic, LG, and Tesla.
- Partnerships: ADT Solar is a certified Tesla installer and has a relationship with the professional roofing company Buildpro Roofing Specialists. The company has a similar partnership with the energy management company Energypro Energy Specialists.
Tesla is somewhat of an outlier in the solar industry, bucking the trends that most solar companies follow and marching to the beat of its own drum. For starters, the company contracts out 100% of its installations to companies in an expansive nationwide network. While most companies move to perform installations in-house, Tesla embraces its unusual business model of only producing equipment.
Read an in-depth review of Tesla.
However, Tesla remains near the top of the solar field due to its panel’s exceptional energy efficiency and its industry-leading solar energy storage solution, Tesla Powerwall. Tesla also offers price matching, making it as affordable as any company you can find, as long as you’re willing to do the legwork.
Read an in-depth review of the Tesla Powerwall.
Tesla Pros & Cons
- Best-in-class panels and batteries
- Price matching keeps costs down
- Top-notch EV charging
- Innovative solar roofing and solar shingles
- Only offers third-party installations
- MSRP is high
- Warranty is lacking
Tesla Solar Cost, Warranty, & Services
If you only know Tesla as an automotive company, you’re missing out. The company is a leader in the solar industry and offers unique services you won’t find in most solar energy companies.
- Average Cost: Tesla’s solar systems are quite expensive if you go by the list price. However, the company offers price matching, so you can get a Tesla system with top-of-the-line equipment for very affordable prices if you’re willing to do some homework.
- Warranty: Tesla’s solar warranty isn’t great. Its equipment is guaranteed for 25 years, which is great, but its workmanship is only covered for 10 years.
- Solar Services: Tesla offers complete solar installations, including Tesla’s panels, battery storage options, EV chargers, Tesla’s solar roofing, and Tesla’s solar shingles. The company also offers in-depth solar monitoring through the Tesla app.
- Financing Options: The company accepts cash and solar loans.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: All Tesla solar projects are handled by an independent company that’s part of Tesla’s network of certified installers.
- Solar Panel Brands Offered: Tesla only sells its own brand of solar equipment.
- Partnerships: Tesla is a Better Business Bureau (BBB)-accredited business.
Perihelion Solar is a cleverly-named solar company based in Russellville, Arkansas. Perihelion is an astronomical term that loosely translates to “closest to the sun. Perihelion has lived up to its name by bringing Arkansas residents closer to the sun by installing photovoltaic (PV) panels and battery backups via a dedicated in-house team that features NABCEP-certified installers and licensed electricians.
Before breaking into the solar industry in 2018, Perihelion enjoyed more than 50 years of success doing general contracting and electrical work throughout Arkansas, experience it now uses to design and customize its solar systems. The company has an outstanding reputation for stellar customer support and offers solid warranties.
Perihelion Pros & Cons
- Local and employee-owned
- Great customer support
- Good warranty
- Very new to solar
- Limited selection of brands
Perihelion Solar Cost, Warranty, & Services
If you prefer to use an Arkansas-based solar company and don’t mind taking a chance on a new business, Perihelion Solar is a great choice. The company’s track record in electrical contracting is spotless, and its solar warranties are good, making it less risky than it seems at first.
- Average Cost: Perihelion Solar’s installation costs are in line with the Arkansas state average.
- Warranty: The company offers a 25-year warranty on workmanship and equipment.
- Solar Services: Perihelion offers solar panels and battery backups, as well as general electrical contracting and solar system repairs and maintenance.
- Financing Options: The company accepts cash and solar loans but doesn’t offer PPAs or leases.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: Perihelion Solar is an all-in-one solar installer that handles its solar projects internally from beginning to end.
- Solar Panel Brands Offered: Perihelion Solar installs solar equipment manufactured by REC, LG, SunPower, Enphase, Tesla, AP Systems, Outback Power Systems, Simpliphi, and Fortress Power.
- Partnerships: The company holds certifications from Enphase, Generac, and Simpliphi and is an authorized SunPower dealer. It also is accredited by the NABCEP and BBB.
New Dawn Solar
New Dawn Solar is a regional solar installer located in Hodgenville, Kentucky. The company is family-owned and has been providing rooftop solar installation services for residents throughout Arkansas, Texas, and Kentucky since 2011.
New Dawn is a fairly bare-bones solar provider, only offering PV panel installations, solar system repairs, and maintenance. However, the company’s prices are right, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a company that provides more individual attention and customer support than New Dawn.
New Dawn Pros & Cons
- Family-owned business
- Excellent customer service
- Good prices
- Limited services
- Limited selection of brands
- Subpar workmanship warranty
New Dawn Solar Cost, Warranty, & Services
New Dawn Solar is the perfect choice for anyone looking for a simple solar system without any bells or whistles. The company only installs solar panels, so while its systems are affordable, you don’t have as many options as you do from other companies.
- Average Cost: New Dawn Solar’s prices are average to below average based on Arkansas’ state averages.
- Warranty: The company workmanship only provides a scant 5 years of coverage, well below the industry standard.
- Solar Services: New Dawn Solar installs solar panels but doesn’t offer battery backups or EV chargers.
- Financing Options: The company partners with GreenBiz Financial to provide solar loans. Customers can also pay for their solar systems outright in cash.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: New Dawn’s solar systems are installed by an in-house team.
- Solar Panel Brands Offered: The company carries products from Enphase, AXITEC, and Silfab Solar.
- Partnerships: New Dawn Solar holds NABCEP certification.
What Is Our Final Verdict on the Best Solar Company in Arkansas?
The best overall solar company in Arkansas is SunPower, in our opinion. SunPower’s solar energy systems are unmatched in terms of raw efficiency and durability, and the company backs its products with an outstanding warranty, making it easy to deal with issues in the unlikely event of a problem.
If you prefer going solar with a smaller, local solar company, you should check out Seal Solar. The company offers outstanding solar installations at reasonable prices and can provide better customer service than you’re likely to get from a big, national corporation.
Factors to Consider When Choosing The Best Solar Company in Arkansas
Choosing a solar company is a big decision, so don’t worry if you’re still having trouble picking one. To make things a bit easier for you, we’ve put together a helpful list of the nine most important factors to consider when choosing a solar provider.
Cost of Services & Installation
Many potential solar buyers get scared away by the sticker price without considering a few important factors. First of all, yes, solar systems are expensive. But when you factor in solar tax credits, the 20 to 30 years of reduced or nonexistent electric bills, and the value solar panels add to your home, the prices start to look much more reasonable.
A standard 7–10 kW system will cost between $20,000–$25,000 on average before the federal tax credit and $15,000–$20,000 after. Now consider that the same average system will accrue $15,000 in lifetime savings depending on your energy usage and electricity rates. When you also consider the value solar panels add to your home — 4.1% by Zillow’s best estimate — the upfront cost of solar panels doesn’t seem as daunting.
Equipment and Damages Warranty
A good solar warranty could be the difference between years of worry-free solar energy and unexpected costs for solar maintenance and repairs. The best solar warranties offer protection for your entire system, including parts, labor, and performance. A solid warranty will cover replacement parts for any components that get damaged through ordinary wear and tear and any issues that arise due to errors during installation.
Performance guarantees vary significantly from one solar company to the next, but most companies offer them nowadays. Even better than a production guarantee is an efficiency upgrade, which some companies offer to keep your system firing on all cylinders as it ages; think of these as tune-ups for your solar system.
Solar Services Offered
Before you can seriously consider investing in solar energy for your home, you need to decide what solar services interest you. Basic installations only require solar panels, while more advanced systems feature battery backups, EV chargers, and more.
If you only want solar panels and don’t care about more advanced features, virtually any solar company should be able to meet your needs. However, the more niche service you’re looking for, the fewer options you’ll have. Some companies — especially smaller ones — will work with you to customize your system until it meets your needs, even if all the features you want aren’t explicitly listed on the company’s website, so don’t be afraid to schedule an appointment and get a solar quote.
Financing your solar panels with a solar loan is the best way to invest in solar if you don’t have enough cash to purchase a system outright. Most solar companies have solar financing partners that can give you competitive financing options with reasonable rates and initial money down. Some companies even offer zero money down loans for qualified customers, although you’ll typically have to meet with a representative before you know what financing options are available to you.
Do They Contract Installation?
Solar installations are usually handled by the same company that procures the equipment and handles permits these days, but some businesses still contract installations out to third-party installers. SunPower is one of the few big names in solar that still contracts out its installations occasionally, although this is becoming less common as the company transitions to a new business model.
In general, you’ll have an easier time and fewer headaches dealing with a company that installs its own systems. Customer service can vary significantly from one solar contractor to another, so one customer’s positive experience may not translate to your installation if you wind up with a different installation company.
Brands of Solar Equipment Offered
Tesla and SunPower have the most efficient solar panels on the market, according to industry experts, although the gap is closing as photovoltaic technology improves and manufacturing techniques become more refined. You really can’t go wrong with any leading brand; Panasonic, REC, and Q Cells are all excellent options.
Tesla is also the proud owner of one of the best energy storage solutions in the business: Tesla Powerwall. Enphase Encharge batteries are also highly regarded, as are LG’s LG Chem batteries.
Enphase, SolarEdge, and SMA are the most commonly recommended inverter manufacturers.
If you have any questions about what equipment your installation will use, don’t be afraid to ask. Most solar installers enjoy working for an informed customer and will be happy to answer your questions.
Average Online Rating and Customer Reviews
Before you sign any papers or commit to any contracts, take some time to peruse customer reviews online. Solar reviews on the internet can give you an idea of what it’s like to be a customer of a business before you put your money on the line, and some due diligence can save you from being locked into a nightmare contract with a lousy solar company.
Industry partnerships are the lifeblood of the solar industry. A rooftop solar system has many components, and few companies manufacture all the equipment needed to build a complete system. This means that collaboration is inherently part of the solar industry, so a company with many working relationships is better positioned to provide top-notch service even as things change.
Solar rules and regulations can change with the drop of a hat, and companies come and go — even large ones like LG, which recently announced it would no longer manufacture solar panels. A company with a history of working together with like-minded businesses is more likely to adapt to the inevitable changes the industry will face and continue to be able to support its customers.
Size of Company
Finally, a company’s size plays a major role in what customer experience you have, so it’s important to choose a company that can offer the service you desire. Large companies often carry more equipment and charge lower prices, although they cannot provide the intimate one-on-one attention you can get from a smaller business. On the flip side, a small business will be able to give you more personalized attention but will often charge more for the same equipment and offer fewer options than an industry giant.
Neither is inherently better, so choose the option that feels the best to you.
FAQs about the Best Solar Companies in Arkansas
Is solar worth it in Arkansas?
Arkansas has some of the highest potential for solar power in the country. The state currently ranks a dismal 47th in solar adoption but ranks a respectable 12th in terms of annual sunshine. As more solar businesses realize the potential for widespread growth and adoption throughout Arkansas, consumers will benefit from increased competition and have more high-quality companies to choose from.
Does Arkansas offer solar incentives?
Yes, it does. Arkansas has several incentives in place designed to encourage clean energy adoption in the state.
Arkansas residents have access to the federal tax credit — sometimes called the federal solar investment tax credit or ITC. This credit allows homeowners who invest in solar panels to claim 30% of the system’s total cost as a tax credit the year following the purchase.
Arkansas also has a net metering program through its major utility companies. Net metering allows solar panel owners to sell the excess energy their systems generate back to the grid to reduce their monthly electric bills. Net metering is a great way to keep your electric bill down in the winter when your panels aren’t producing as much energy as they do during the summer.
Unfortunately, Arkansas does not have a state-sponsored solar rebate program.
Is solar energy efficient in Arkansas?
Arkansas is the 12th sunniest state in the union and enjoys many hours of direct sunlight in the summer due to its southerly latitudes. As such, solar panels are more efficient and valuable in Arkansas than in most other companies.
Does solar increase home value in Arkansas?
Yes, definitely. Research conducted by tech real estate company Zillow found that solar panels increase a home’s value by 4.1%, on average. The average home in Arkansas is worth about $150,000, which means solar panels add about $6,150 to each home’s value.
Today's Homeowner’s Solar Companies Rating Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader. That’s why we took the time to create an objective rating system and score each solar energy company/service according to our methodology.
Our research team dug deep into the fine print of contracts, combed through more than one hundred customer reviews, and thoroughly investigated all of each solar energy company’s services, costs, and products. We’ve done the homework for you by researching nearly all of the solar energy companies on the market so you can have the information you need to make the best choice for your home.
We developed a formula to objectively determine the best solar energy companies and give each a score out of 100 based on the following criteria:
Plan Options (30): Do they provide a variety of plan options? We looked at the number of plans each solar energy company offered and the flexibility of adjusting the plan.
Services offered (20): How many services are offered in each plan? We looked at whether the company manufactures its own solar panels, whether it contracts out installation, and what additional products each company offers.
Trust (10): What do customers say after their solar panels are installed? Does this company offer a guarantee? We considered how satisfied customers are post-service if the company does what it says it will, BBB accreditation, and service guarantees.
Prices (10): How reasonable are the costs of the plan or service in comparison to the industry average? We compared the costs of each company to competitors that offer the same solar energy services.
Unique perks (10): Does the company offer discounts or special services such as financial incentives, rebates, or a useful mobile app? We looked for extras each company offers that set them apart from the competition.
Customer Service (10): How is the customer experience when contacting the company? We considered the speed of response, weekend/holiday availability, and ease of communication through phone calls, email, and online chat functions.
Nationwide availability (10): How many states does the company offer its services? Companies that operate nationally and in all zip codes are favored over those with limited availability.