Even though the EPA banned the use of lead-based paints in 1978, there are still potential hazards of lead poisoning around your home that you should be aware of. Any older home has the possibility of containing lead paint. But, soil in and around the home can also contain lead dust from exterior paint, or even from the use of leaded gasoline.
Children are more prone to lead poisoning because they often put their hands or other objects in their mouths and these objects can have lead dust on them. Lead poisoning can cause damage to the brain and nervous system, behavior and learning problems, slowed growth, hearing problems and headaches. So, if you plan on doing any kind of remodeling in an older home, then you need to have it tested for lead.