Eco-friendly or green materials are products that are nontoxic, use less energy and fewer resources, are made from recycled materials or are easily recyclable. While all insulation is eco-friendly to some extent, since it saves energy, cotton and soybean based insulation are even greener products, since they’re manufactured from natural materials.
Advantages of Cotton and Soybean Insulation
- Cotton Insulation: Made from recycled natural fiber, cotton insulation, such as Bonded Logic UltraTouch, contains no chemical irritants and carries a Class-A fire rating. In addition, it doesn’t itch like fiberglass insulation.
- Soybean Foam Insulation: While many types of spray foam insulation are made from highly toxic chemicals, soybean based foam insulation, such as BioBased Insulation, is made from a natural, easily renewable material. Foam insulation is sprayed into wall cavities and between ceiling joists and rafters in attics, where it expands to fill all the gaps and crevices, giving it a very high insulation R-value.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Insulation R-Value (article)
- GreenFiber Cellulose Insulation (video)
- Installing Cellulose Insulation in Your Home (video)
- How Much Insulation Do You Need in Your Home (video)