Ready to do some spring cleaning? Here are 8 eco-friendly house cleaning tips to clean, disinfect and wipe away the winter mess.
- All-Purpose Cleaner: Slice up some lemons, place them in a bowl and pour white vinegar to the brim. Then, let this combination sit overnight and pour it in a spray bottle to create an all-purpose cleaner.
- Grime Loosener: Need to clean the inside of your oven? Make a paste from baking soda and water, apply it to the bottom of the oven and let it sit for an hour to turn all the grime loose.
- Garbage Disposal Solution: Your garbage disposal and dishwasher are often the culprits of kitchen odors. So, to make the place smell good, place baking soda in the garbage disposal and leave it there for a few minutes. Then, flush it out with water. (Have you noticed how much baking soda comes in handy for house cleaning chores? White vinegar, too!)
- Dishwasher Deodorizer: For the dishwasher, pour a bowl of white vinegar right into the dishwasher, and then run a normal wash cycle to clean the appliance and make it smell great.
- Cutting Board Cleaner: When you’re cleaning your house, don’t forget the surfaces that directly touch food. Rub a slice of lemon on your wooden cutting board to disinfect the surface. Bonus effect: It’ll also make the cutting board smell great!
- Easy Rust Remover: Struggling with a stubborn rust stain? Then go ahead and make a paste from baking soda and some water and apply it to the stain. Let it sit for a half-hour and then wipe it clean.
- Window Spray: Washing windows? Here’s a simple trick: Put 50 percent water and 50 percent vinegar in a spray bottle; then, spray the windows with this mixture and wipe them with a microfiber cloth.
Want to speed things up? Have a partner help you with the house cleaning! In this case, have one person inside and one person outside working on the same window. Don’t forget to clean the window frames and screens!
- Mold and Mildew Mixture: Notice mold and mildew on your patio or brick surfaces? Don’t use chlorine bleach to remove them — oxygen bleach is much friendlier to the environment, less caustic and most important, it really works!
What are some of your favorite eco-friendly house cleaning tips?
Share them in the comments below!