A “spill pot” brings a playful touch to your garden — and it’s also a great way to recycle cracked or broken flower pots! All you need is a flower pot, some potting soil, and a few summer bedding plants.
It’s is a fun way to use up those last few plants after filling your other containers or beds — about 5-6 small bedding plants should work nicely. You can make a spill pot in just a few easy steps:
1. Loosen the dirt in an area about one foot wide and two feet long.
2. Add potting soil or compost to the entire area, to enrich the soil and hold in moisture.
3. Bury your pot about halfway in the soil, making sure the broken part is hidden.
4. Plant your flowers in the garden soil, but tuck a couple of plants inside the rim of the pot, to give the appearance of spilling out.
5. Care for them as you would any other garden annuals, with regular water and an occasional dose of balanced organic fertilizer.