(October 23, 2019) MOLINE, IL. — Nearly half of do-it-yourself homeowners expect to rely more on rental tools in the next year, according to a survey released by the American Rental Association.
The “Rental Customer Needs Study,” conducted by RSG, an independent research firm for ARA, surveyed a sample of DIY homeowners across the country. Results showed that 62 percent of DIY homeowners rented equipment for a project and completed the job themselves in the past year. Of those who rented, 48 percent expect to rent more in the year ahead.
The most sought-after tools for home projects were carpet cleaners, pressure washers and portable air compressors.
Common reasons DIY homeowners rented included:
- They needed to use the item infrequently or only for a short time (54 percent)
- The item was needed for immediate use and they didn’t want to buy it (49 percent)
- The rental store location was convenient (40 percent)
- They could not afford to buy and own the item (27 percent)
To gather information about rental and rental locations, 59 percent of respondents visited rental stores in person; 52 percent conducted an internet search; 44 percent visited rental store websites; 40 percent talked to others; and 29 percent called rental stores.
When deciding on a rental store to partner with, DIY homeowners said they consider:
- Location convenience
- Competitive rental costs
- Positive past experience
- Selection and availability of items
- Newness and condition of items
- Desired brand availability
- Store hours and pickup times
Rental experience satisfaction was high among DIY homeowners. Seventy-four percent of respondents said they are very satisfied; 24 percent said they are satisfied.