Entry doors take a lot of abuse from the elements. If yours is looking a bit shabby, perhaps it’s time to dress it up by refinishing and replacing the hardware. By following these simple steps, you can turn an eyesore into the envy of the neighborhood
Steps in refinishing an entry door:
- Use a hammer and nail to remove the hinge pins.
- Take the door off its hinges. Entry doors can be heavy, so have someone on hand to help you carry it.
- Lay the door on padded sawhorses in the garage with the outer side facing up.
- Remove the old hardware and sand the finish or paint down using 80 grit sandpaper followed by finer grits.
- Stain the door followed by two coats of exterior polyurethane. Or, if you prefer, prime and paint it.
- Install a new brass kick plate and doorknocker while the door is still on the sawhorses.
- Rehang the door and install a new lockset and deadbolt.
- Refinishing an Exterior Wood Entry Door (video)
- Upgrading and Replacing Doors (article)
- Door Painting Tip (video)
Danny Lipford is among the country’s most sought-after home improvement experts.
The seasoned remodeling contractor and media personality served as the home improvement expert for CBS’s “The Early Show” and The Weather Channel for over a decade and has made more than 180 national television appearances on “Fox & Friends,” “Inside Edition,” “Morning Express with Robin Meade,” Fox Business Channel, Rachael Ray and more.
He travels the country making appearances as a brand ambassador and spokesperson, and each year contributes expertise to hundreds of popular magazines and online media outlets.
Chelsea Lipford Wolf is a born-and-raised home enthusiast, adding her crafty skills and passion for DIY as co-host of the top-rated, nationally syndicated “Today’s Homeowner” TV show.
In addition, Chelsea maintains her own home lifestyle and décor blog and award-winning web-series, “Checking in with Chelsea.”
WATCH THE SHOW: Don’t miss “Today’s Homeowner,” which airs each week on television nationwide. Check your local listings for time and channel.
Don’t miss out! Follow Today’s Homeowner on social media for exclusive videos, home improvement tips and behind-the-scenes photos.