Hanging pictures is easy if you know how. Here are some helpful tips for hanging pictures on drywall in your home.
To find the proper height for a nail or anchor in the wall:
- Mark the horizontal location of the center of the picture on a piece of masking tape on the wall.
- Snip off an 8” to 10” piece of wire coat hanger and bend the ends in opposite directions.
- Hook the wire hanger on the picture wire with the bottom of the wire hanger facing the wall.
- Hold the picture with the wire hanger and line it up with the center line on the masking tape.
- Position the picture at the desired height, and press the wire hanger into the wall.
- Move the picture and drive a nail at a steep upward angle into the indentation in the wall.
When hanging heavy objects, like a large painting or mirror, a wall anchor made for drywall can support much more weight than a nail. Check out the articles below for more information on wall anchors and hanging pictures.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Hang Pictures Right the First Time (article)
- How to Hang Anything on Anything (video/article)
- How to Install Wall Anchors in Drywall (video)
- Testing Wall Anchors and Picture Hangers (article)