DIY lawn care service is becoming more and more popular for many homeowners. The reason that DIY lawn care does so well is that it is typically lower in cost, has access to all-natural ingredients, and helps you feel like you have played your part in creating a beautiful and sustainable lawn. Sunday and Instead offer a guided DIY lawn care subscription.
In this guide featuring Sunday vs. Instead, we will show you what it takes to become one of the best lawn care companies, why natural fertilizer matters, and the steps you must take to maintain and sustain healthy grass. If you are comfortable with the mowing and trimming but just need some help when it comes to getting the yard green and full, Sunday Lawn Care plans or Instead Lawn Care plans could do the trick.
Compare Sunday vs. Instead
|State availability||50 States||50 States|
|Online chat options||No||No|
Sunday vs. Instead
Sunday and Instead are in the lawn care subscription business, but they offer different lawn care products, lawn fertilizer, and weed control products. Although the concept of guided lawn care can be similar, these companies certainly have their differences. With Instead being a few years newer than Sunday, we wanted to see if they have come up with something entirely different or are simply offering us an alternative to the Sunday product.
Sunday is a lawn care subscription business or DIY lawn care provider that has been in the market since 2019. Sunday has done everything they can to make it simple to have an impressive green lawn. They send nutrient pouches to deal with almost any issue you have in your yard. Essentially, having Sunday will take the guesswork out of your lawn care program by creating a special routine that is specific to your home. Sunday Lawn Care products are made from all-natural ingredients.
Whether you are dealing with bare spots in the lawn, broadleaf weeds, or grass that is in desperate need of lawn fertilizer, Sunday Lawn Care is the leader in the DIY yard services niche. Before Sunday came to the market and the idea of a subscription service for lawn care took off, customers were struggling with lawn treatment without guidance. Homeowners were trying to determine how to prevent crabgrass and dandelions on their own, turn the lawn green, and find a safe and effective weed killer. Sunday helps to answer all of these questions by analyzing a soil sample and then putting together a plan that makes DIY lawn care even easier than before.
Instead is a new all-natural lawn care subscription that started in 2021. With just over a year under its belt, the reviews and positive responses to Instead have put it on our radar. The product line from Instead is relatively small. There are several different types of fertilizer and grass seed options, and that is the extent of their product offering. As this is a new company, we expect to see the eco-friendly brand continue to grow and add on new options and solutions for consumers.
With the Instead Lawn Care plans, you simply check a box stating how large your yard is, and the plan is then put together for you. With Instead, there is not too much variation in the plan; you will get your first shipment in the spring, followed by a summer shipment and a fall shipment. There is no soil sample, and you simply apply the product when you are told. Instead does pay attention to your local environment and the lawn needs of your specific area.
Sunday vs. Instead Services and Plans
The plans from Sunday and Instead are a bit different. With Sunday being the DIY grass powerhouse, Instead does not have the same number or variation in products just yet. One thing that Instead really focuses on is the removal of harmful chemicals and the ability to keep pesticides away from your family. Let’s take a more in-depth look at the plans and services offered from Instead and Sunday and the lawn care cost associated with these solutions.
Instead Plans and Services
Instead Lawn Care offers a fundamental lawn care subscription plan with a mix of fertilizer and grass seed. When tackling weeds in your lawn, this is not the lawn care solution that does the best job. With Instead plans, you will get three packages, each containing the fertilizer or seed you need for that time of year. The Instead shipments include:
- Happy Lawn Spring Lawn Fertilizer
- Happy Lawn Summer Lawn Fertilizer
- Happy Lawn Fall Lawn Fertilizer
- Grass Seed Mix
It does not matter if you sign up for Instead in the fall or the summer, your packages will start shipping according to the season and the window for fertilization. Instead Lawn Care products are applied via a spreader, and although you can use any spreader, there is a specific model that they recommend. The spreader itself costs around $45.
The package that you get from Instead will be specific to your lawn size, and it is made with all-natural ingredients. Not that you need to encourage this; if your kids and pets are running around in the grass while you apply the product, it won’t be harmful to them.
Instead makes sure to offer specific direction for both watering and aeration to ensure all of these micronutrients are properly absorbed into the turf. If you are looking for natural products to improve your lawn health and want a company that will help give you a bit of guidance for a fair price, Instead can be a good option.
In addition to selling their lawn care products as part of a plan, Instead also sells the seed blends and fertilizer separately on websites like Walmart, Home Depot, or Amazon. The subscription plan tends to be a bit more affordable than the individual products as you will get a bulk discount. The individual products include:
- Happy Lawn Spring Fertilizer ($34.99): The Happy Lawn Spring Fertilizer helps give your turf a head start in the spring season. The idea here is to strengthen and green up while the growing season is strongest. The bag will cover 4,000 sq ft. of turf.
- Happy Lawn Summer Fertilizer ($34.99): The Happy Lawn Summer Fertilizer is a nitrogen-based product with things like wheat flour and molasses incorporated into the product. The benefit of the Happy Lawn Summer Fertilizer is to give your turf a boost when the weather is harsh.
- Happy Lawn Fall Fertilizer ($34.99): Happy Lawn Fall Fertilizer helps to thicken and green up your lawn to prepare it for the winter. This product features things like alfalfa meal and molasses. The Fall Fertilizer works for any grass type and location and will cover a 4,000 sq ft area.
- Grass Seed ($26 to $32): The grass see options from Instead will range from a sun and shade mixture to fescue to Bermuda grass. It’s best to determine the type of grass you have in your yard and continue to add seed that will match and increase the strength of your turf.
Instead DIY lawn care can help ensure that your family is kept safe, but there are some areas of their service that are still lacking. This is why it’s best also to check out how the Sunday Lawn Care plans operate and the differences they bring to the market.
Sunday Plans and Services
Sunday Lawn Care is a subscription-based DIY lawn care provider that creates a customized plan specific to the needs of your home. Sunday uses a soil sample system to check for things like nitrogen and potassium in the soil. They can then put together your customized lawn care plan. If you have issues along the way that require additional herbicides or product offerings, you can always add that to your order. Sunday has been on the market since 2019 and it split its product offering into the following categories:
- Lawn care
- Pest control
- Live trees and plants
Although Sunday offers a wide range of lawn maintenance products, the Smart Lawn Plan is their subscription plan that helps you maintain a healthy lawn without having to think so much about it. The Smart Lawn Plan starts with a soil analysis and turns into a customized nutrient plan for your lawn. The difference between the Sunday products and other subscription-based options on the market is that they are more scientific-based; they do the soil analysis to see if your lawn needs certain fertilizers. The actual soil testing takes just a minute, and Sunday even measures your lawn using a satellite system.
When the packages from Sunday come, you simply use your garden hose to apply them to the turf. The packages attach to the hose, the spray comes with your first box, and you spray the lawn. The amount per square foot will have already been determined based on the initial sign-up process. Many homeowners prefer this liquid-based application instead of having to deal with a spreader.
Another great benefit of the Sunday Smart Lawn Plan is budgeting. Once your soil analysis is complete, Sunday puts together a plan that lets you calculate your costs for the entire year. The soil test kit is part of the initial product signup, but then after that, you will get a customized price letting you forecast your costs throughout the rest of the season. Preparing for this ahead of time can put you at ease about your total lawn care costs for the year.
The Smart Lawn Plan sends an early-season box to prepare your grass for the growing season, and several more packages as fertilization are necessary. Typically, three boxes are sent to customers in a year, but some may only need two. When you sign up, there are details about the number of shipments and what to expect. Sunday even lets you know when the products are coming so that you can prepare to apply the fertilizers and weed treatments at a time that works for you. In addition to the Smart Lawn Plan, here are a few other products you can purchase from Sunday.
- Grass Seed ($29-$35): Grass seed is something that almost all lawns need every year. Whether you’re looking for a shade grass seed or something like Bermuda, Bluegrass, or Fescue, Sunday has options. The grass seed pricing from Sunday is fair, and this is something that many homeowners have to consider when overseeding and expanding the turf areas of their yard. Remember that grass seed is measured in square feet, and you may not need to cover quite as much of your lawn if you are patching areas.
- Garden Growth: Are you one of those homeowners not just into DIY lawn care but also want to improve the overall look and functionality of your yard1 The Garden Growth products from Sunday help you with everything from rose treatments to plant foods. You can look at these products as more of a way to maintain your beds, shrubs, and flowers around the yard. After all, once your grass is green, you will want to ensure that the landscaping supports its beautiful look. In addition, the garden growth products are also going to be complemented by the live plants that you can order from Sunday.
- Pest Control ($27): The Mosquito Deleto is the most popular pest control product from Sunday; this product is designed to eliminate Mosquitos from the yard. Mosquitos can keep you from enjoying your property, but they typically only show up at certain times of the year. If you want to order these products when you notice you have issues, that is entirely acceptable. Some other pest control products from Sunday include fire ant protection and tick defense. The pest control products help to create a barrier that your yard needs to ensure its full enjoyment.
- Weed Control ($20+): Weed control is one of the areas where Sunday stands out from Instead Lawn Care. In time, Instead will likely release a weed barrier product, but for now, you will be left to pull your weeds and fend for yourself. With Sunday, weed control is either pre-emergent or post-emergent. The Weed Warrior and Dandelion Doom are sold in a concentrate that is then pumped through your sprayer and onto your lawn. To stay on top of weed control, it is highly recommended to use both a pre-emergent and a post-emergent product. If you are not staying on top of the weed situation, it will quickly get out of hand and create issues for you moving forward.
- Pet Patch Repair: The Pet Patch product is a new release from Sunday. This product is designed to work on those detailed areas in your lawn. If you have yellowing grass spots, Pet Patch Repair will start to bring your property back to life and make it easier to have a green space again. There are other pet-friendly products like Pet Safe Ice Melt and Pet Resistant Grass Seed; all of these products are helpful when it comes to that balance of maintaining a great lawn while keeping kids and pets safe.
Sunday has grown since 2019 into a full-service product offering to help with all of your lawn and garden needs. The Sunday products continue to expand and become a complete solution for homeowners. In addition to these lawn treatment products, you can also find things like a spreader or even a lawn mower on their website. The pricing on the Get Sunday website is fair, and the shopping experience is relatively easy.
Last, it is worth mentioning that Sunday also offers a tree and shrub service. This is more of a guidance program than anything else, where Sunday will let you know which plants and shrubs can survive in your area. Many homeowners plant material that does not last because of the climate, and Sunday helps to ensure that you don’t waste money on your plants. Sunday will eventually be a one-stop shop for all DIY lawn care needs.
To learn more about Sunday’s products, read our thorough Sunday Lawn Care Review.
Sunday vs. Instead Availability and Locations
Another great thing about both Sunday and Instead is their availability. When looking at a full-service lawn provider like TruGreen, you will be limited to the company’s service area. Luckily since Sunday and Instead can ship their products, the entire United States can be covered. If you end up in a place where the options for full-service lawn care are not all that good, these DIY options are a very smart decision.
Sunday vs. Instead Customer Reviews
Customer reviews can give us clear insight into whether a product is a good fit. There are plenty of options for grass seed and fertilizer that do not work that well. Luckily, many of the reviews from Sunday and Instead are very fair. Here are a few to help you understand more about these product offerings and if they are a match for your home.
Sunday Customer Reviews
“I am very happy with the results of the Sunday Smart Lawn Plan. So easy and just shows up in the mail when it’s time to use it. I don’t even have to think about it anymore. I love the fact that it’s safe for all my animals. And the grass looks great too! I have free-range chickens, and they are always tearing up the grass, but it still looks great! Read more about the review stating that it is safe for pets and easy to use! Easy to apply and reasonably priced.”– Charles
“My lawn appears thick and green. It’s very easy to apply, and I like having the products delivered throughout the Spring and Summer. I’m quite happy with Sunday!”– Darrelyn
“I am very happy and pleased with Sunday Lawn Plan. It’s easy to use, and I have seen better growth and greener grass than using a lawn service. The system is all laid out for you, and all you have to do is apply it to your lawn. I’ll continue to use this in the future.”– Michael
Instead Customer Reviews
“I was excited to try this fertilizer on my lawn as we were rounding into spring temperatures in my area. I have used Scotts Turf Builder for many years and have had positive results. While this product does not have many of the same ingredients or any kind of pre-emergent for weeds, it does provide much-needed nutrients for a nice healthy lawn. This bag is 11-0-2 in terms of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. To compare it to the Scotts brand, it is significantly less nitrogen; Scott’s is 30-0-4 for their spring fertilizer. However, time will tell if it has the same long-term effect. Right now, I can say that the application is the same as other fertilizers, and I had no issues. This seems to be a safer option as it doesn’t have as many of the added chemicals that other brands have.”–Laura
“This lawn fertilizer made from natural ingredients works well on my tall fescue lawn in Southern California. I like that the ingredients are natural. Spreading the fertilizer is the same as with any type of granule fertilizer. You simply use a hand or push spreader. While at first glance, the price seems a bit high, the bag is pretty big, so the pricing is actually fairly similar to what you’d pay for something like Scott’s at the local big box home improvement store, if not a bit better.”– Scott
“Spring is here, and my lawn looks awesome. I spread the fertilizer a month ago, and while it didn’t green up as fast as traditional fertilizer, but it finally did. I live in a 55 + community, and they go the cheap route when it comes to lawn care. I often re-seed and fertilized once a year. After 6 years, my lawn looks good, only I am hoping they start to cut the lawns more frequently because my grass is growing as fast as my weeds, and that’s fast.”– Melodie
With Sunday Lawn Care, you do not need any other services or subscriptions. Sunday has worked hard to become a one-stop shop for all of your garden needs, and although Instead is on its way there, it is still not as wide of a product offering as Sunday. Sunday Lawn Care can take your lawn to the next level and let you be a part of it.
It’s always worth getting more than one quote for any subscription, and TruGreen is a full-service provider that should also be thrown into the comparison when making decisions about your lawn. With TruGreen, you can even eliminate the mowing and trimming and let someone handle the entire process for you. Of course, this comes at an expense, but you will get more time to enjoy your property.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Sunday Lawn Care all-natural?
Sunday uses natural ingredients in their lawn and pest products. They aim to be a safe solution for both kids and pets. In addition, they will give you specific instructions on how to safely and properly apply the products.
Does Sunday Lawn Care help with weeds?
With Sunday Lawn Care, you can use the broadleaf weed control products to eliminate weeds on your property. With more natural weed elimination products, it’s important to remember both pre-emergent and post-emergent.
Which is more expensive, Sunday or Instead?
Sunday and Instead have very similar pricing structures. Sometimes Sunday may seem as though it is more expensive, but the products are made specifically for your lawn. This will impact the pricing, but it is a more customized solution.
How long does it take for Sunday fertilizer to work?
Sunday lawn fertilizer starts working immediately, but homeowners don’t typically see the results for about a week. Expect your lawn to look a bit healthier and green up in the areas where it has struggled in the past.
Today's Homeowner’s Rating Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader. That’s why we took the time to create an objective rating system and score each lawn company/service according to our methodology.
Our research team dug deep into the fine print of contracts, combed through more than one hundred customer reviews, and thoroughly investigated all of each lawn care service’s services, costs, and products. We’ve done the homework for you by researching nearly all of the lawn care companies on the market so you can have the information you need to make the best choice for your home.
We developed a formula to objectively determine the best lawn care companies and give each a score out of 100 based on the following criteria:
- Plan Options (30): Do they provide a variety of plan options? We looked at the number of plans each company offered and the flexibility of adjusting the plan.
- Services offered (20): How many services are offered in each plan? We looked at the number of lawn care coverages, including weed control, seeding, irrigation, aeration, dethatching, and more.
- Trust (10): What do customers say after their lawn has been serviced? Does this company offer a guarantee? We considered how satisfied customers are post-service if the company does what it says it will, BBB accreditation, and service guarantees.
- Prices (10): How reasonable are the costs of the plan or service in comparison to the industry average? We compared the costs of each company to competitors that offer the same lawn services.
- Unique perks (10): Does the company offer discounts or special services such as organic treatments, pest control, or a mobile app? We looked for perks each company offers that set them apart from the competition.
- Customer Service (10): How is the customer experience when contacting the company? We considered the speed of response, weekend/holiday availability, and ease of communication through phone calls, email, and online chat functions.
- Nationwide availability (10): How many states does the company offer its services? Companies that operate nationally and in all zip codes are favored over those with limited availability.