A drum sander chucked in a drill works great for sanding curved objects, such as shelf brackets. Drum sanders come in various diameters and consist of a soft rubber core covered by a fine, medium, or course grit sanding sleeve.
To make and sand shelf brackets:
- Cut the brackets out using a jigsaw, saber saw, or bandsaw.
- Gang two or more brackets together in a woodworking vise or clamps.
- Chuck a drum sander into a cordless drill.
- Use the drum sander to smooth both the concave and convex surfaces of the brackets.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Sanding Round Objects (video)
- How to Make a Homemade Sponge Sander (video)