What’s the best way to paint wall paneling, with a brush or a roller? -Ella
If the grooves in the paneling are deep, it’s best to use both a brush and roller when painting wall paneling. Start by painting the grooves with a 1” wide brush, then roll the paneling using a short (1/4”) nap roller.
If the paneling has very shallow grooves, you may be able to use a roller alone. It might require a bit longer nap on the roller to get down in the grooves, however, which will give the surface a more textured look.
Be sure to lightly sand the paneling before painting to dull any gloss on the finish. After wiping off any sanding dust with a damp rag, apply a coat of stain blocking primer, followed by two coats of wall paint.
Good luck with your project,
- How to Paint Paneling (video)
- Interior Painting Preparation (video/article)
- How to Paint Walls (video/article)
- How to Paint Trim (video/article)
- Homeowner’s Guide to Paint Primer (article)