Patching a Hole in Drywall with Spackling

Patching hole in drywall.

I patched a big hole in my wall with drywall and put spackling over the drywall. Was this wrong? -Yolunda

Hi Yolunda,

While similar in nature, spackling is usually used to fill nail holes and other minor imperfections while joint compound is the best choice for finishing drywall. Spackling is thicker and shrinks less than joint compound, but joint compound goes on smoother and is easier to sand. Both spackling and joint compound should only be applied in thin layers and allowed to dry thoroughly between coats.

Once you’ve cut the drywall patch and nailed or screwed it in place, rough up the painted surface around it with sandpaper and wipe off any dust with a damp sponge. Next, apply either mesh or paper drywall tape over the joints where the two pieces meet to reinforce the seams and keep them from cracking.

Fiberglass mesh tape is easier to use since it has an adhesive on one side which is applied directly to the surface of the drywall. It is then covered by several coats of joint compound and sanded smooth.

When using paper tape, apply a thin layer of joint compound to the seam first then press the tape into the compound with a drywall taping knife. After it has dried, apply additional coats of joint compound and sand the wall smooth.

Further Information


  1. I have just removed wallpaper from my kitchen walls only to find out that another layer of wallpaper existed. The problem is this second layer of wallpaper was put directly on sheetrock – no sizing was used. Unbelieveable, I know. Can I just use primer on the walls to cover this or what would you suggest?

  2. Due to a water leak I have paint buckling in the corners and ceiling of some rooms in my house. After I removed the paint from both the corner of the walls and the ceilings,there are spaces because the drywall was cut unevenly. How do I repair the corners?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here