Standing water in your yard is an eyesore and can act as a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Installing a French drain is a great way to remove standing water from your yard.
To construct a French drain:
- Dig a trench in your yard where water is standing.
- Add a bed of pea gravel to the bottom of the trench.
- Wrap a perforated, flexible, plastic landscape pipe with landscape fabric, or use pipe that is ready made for use in a French drain.
- Position the pipe in the trench so the top is below ground level.
- Leave one or both ends of the pipe open so the water can drain away.
- Cover the sides and top of the pipe with more pea gravel.
Watch this video to find out more.