Watering is important for all plants, but some need additional water delivered slowly over time to ensure healthy growth. Here’s an easy way to create a small, buried cistern out of a plastic water bottle to give your plants additional water:
- Cut the top off a two-liter plastic bottle.
- Poke holes in the bottom of the bottle.
- Fill 3/4 of the bottle with composted matter.
- Bury the bottle in the ground directly behind the plant, leaving the top exposed.
When you water your plants or it rains, water will remain in the bottle and slowly be delivered directly to the plant’s roots. Watch this video to find out more.
- Tips on Using Houseplant Watering Globes (article)
- Advantages of a Soaker Hose in Your Garden (video)
- How to Make a Rain Barrel for Your Yard (video/article)
- Drip Irrigation Conserves Water (video)