Keeping your home secure starts with a lock. A deadbolt is only as effective as the type you purchase and how you install it.
When buying and installing a deadbolt for your home, keep these tips in mind:
- Choose a lock with a large-diameter bolt that extends 1 inch or more.That way, it will resist kick-ins and extend one full inch past the strike plate.
- The lock should have a one-piece exterior. This will help it combat other types of tampering, such as picking and prying.
- Use 3-inch-long screws to secure the strike plate to the wall studs.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Choose a Deadbolt Lock for Your Door (video)
- How to Reinforce a Deadbolt Lock on Your Home (video)
- How to Make Your Home Secure from Burglary and Break-In (article)
- Burglarproof Locks (article)