To increase the living space of this modest, ranch style home, we’re adding a 500-square-foot, master bedroom addition. In the first of our two-part series, we’ll cover:
- Planning: Drawing plans for the addition and how to read blueprints.
- Foundation: Pouring the concrete footings, laying the block foundation wall, and pouring the concrete slab foundation.
- Framing: Framing up the walls and roof, including how to frame a recessed, pocket ceiling.
- Plumbing and Wiring: Roughing in the wiring and plumbing, including the installation of a grinder pump lift station for the bedroom’s breakfast bar.
- Windows and Doors: Installing the insulated, aluminum clad, crank out, casement windows.
- Brick and Siding: The exterior walls were bricked while the gables were covered with simulated cedar shake vinyl siding and the eaves with vinyl soffit and aluminum trim.
- Drywall: Hanging and finishing the drywall on the walls and ceiling in the room.
- Cabinets: Installing the Merillat LaBelle cherry wood cabinets for the breakfast bar in the room.
- Radiant Heating System: Laying the PEX pipe for the radiant floor heating system.
Read episode article to find out more.