To determine if you can repair your asphalt shingle roof or should replace it, bend a tab of the roofing on a warm day.
- If the shingle breaks easily, then your best bet is to replace the entire roof.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Replace a Damaged Asphalt Roof Shingle (video)
- How to Repair the Roof on Your Home (video/article)
- How to Clean and Inspect Your Roof (video)
- Replacing the Roof on Your Home (video)
An asphalt shingle roof is near the end of its useful life when the shingle tabs loose their flexibility. If you’re confused about whether to replace or repair the roof, try bending up a single shingle tab on a warm day. If it flexes and bends back down, it has some life left. If breaks or crumbles when bent, it’s time to start thinking about a new roof.