Moss growing on stone, brick, or block walls can give your yard or garden a beautiful, timeless look. However, you should remove any moss growing on surfaces you walk on—such as sidewalks, stepping stone paths, decks, steps, or stairs—since it can make them slippery and cause a safety hazard.
To remove moss from surfaces in your yard or garden:
- Scrape the moss away with a putty knife.
- Mix a 50/50 mixture of water and bleach.
- Fill a pump up garden sprayer with the bleach mixture.
- Wet the surface with the bleach mixture.
- Allow the bleach mixture to remain on the surface for 15-20 minutes.
- Scrub the surface with a scrub brush to loosen any moss residue.
- Hose the bleach mixture and residue off the surface.
Exposure to bleach can damage or kill plants, so be sure to cover any plants you wish to save before applying, and use plenty of water when rinsing to dilute any runoff. Bleach also can damage fabrics and can cause skin irritation, so be sure to wear old clothes, rubber gloves, and eye protection.
A pressure washer can also be used to clean walking surfaces. Watch this video to find out more.