Adding a large covered patio to a waterfront home in a hurricane zone required extensive reinforcement of the framing to allow it to stand up to high winds, including:
- Custom steel column posts that were fabricated on the jobsite, then bolted to the concrete slab and support beams for added security.
- Hurricane straps and metal saddle hangers to attach the ceiling joists and rafters to the support beams.
- Covering the ceiling with 1/2″ plywood to prevent racking.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Make Your Home More Wind Resistant (video)
- How to Reinforce a Home Against Wind Damage (video)
- Against the Wind: Reinforcing a Sunroom Addition (video/article)
- Boarding Up: Hurricane Storm Panels for Your Home (article)