Adding a concrete curb to your flower garden or foundation bed will help define the space and contain the plants. Here’s how to go about it:
- Use a flat shovel to define the outline of the curb and level the ground.
- Compact the soil to provide a solid base using a tamp to prevent the soil from settling and cracking the concrete
- Install a 4” wide strip of 1/4” hardboard supported by wooden stakes next to planting bed to serve as a form the concrete.
- Position 5” long blocks of wood against the inner form.
- Install a second hardboard form, supported by stakes, level with the inner form.
- Mix up the concrete, adding colorant if desired. We used QUIKRETE concrete and colorant for our curb.
- Pour the concrete into the form, using a trowel to smooth it level with the top.
- Round off the front edge of the concrete with an edging tool.
- Create an indentation in the top of the concrete every 3’ to 4’ with a scoring tool to limit cracking.
- Remove form once concrete has set.
Watch this video to find out more.