The soothing sound of falling water coming from a fountain, waterfall, or other water feature can help turn your yard into a peaceful retreat. While ready made fountains are available, you can also construct your own custom built water feature for your yard.
There are a number of considerations to keep in mind when deciding on a water feature for your yard, including:
- Style: Choose a water feature that goes with the style and décor of your home.
- Size: Select a water feature that is the right size for the area it will occupy.
- Material: Consider the type and weight of the material for the water feature. Options include heavy materials like cast stone, as well as lighter ones such as cast aluminum and fiber stone.
- Wiring: Water features require electricity to power the recirculating pump. Since water and electricity can be a deadly combination, be sure to follow the instructions carefully or hire a qualified electrician to do the wiring. A solar powered pump, which use a photovoltaic panel to generate electricity, is another option.
- Maintenance: It’s important to keep a water feature clean and free of debris as well as maintaining the proper water level for it to work properly.