Watch this video for some cool tips, projects, and products to consider when the heat of summer has you trapped indoors.
Indoor home improvement tips include:
- Maintain Air Conditioner: Make sure to have your air conditioner serviced regularly and change the air filter every month or two to keep your air clean and allow the system to work more effectively.
- Replace Thermostat: If the thermostat on your heating/cooling system hasn’t been upgrade lately, now is the time to replace it with a state-of-the-art thermostat, like the Côr thermostat from Carrier. Not only is the Côr thermostat programmable to save up to 20% on your energy bills, you can control the setting remotely through Wi-Fi from a smartphone or tablet.
- Improve Indoor Air Quality: To remove pollutants from inside your home, be sure to run bathroom vent fans during and after a shower and the range hood when cooking. To reduce indoor air pollution even more, install a central vacuum system, such as the PurePower central vacuum from NuTone, which expels the air outside your home, rather than recycling it.
- Indoor Summer Projects: Stay inside and tackle indoor home improvement projects during hot weather. Repositionable Glue Dots make it easy to layout pictures on the wall for hanging, while Advanced Strength Glue Dots are perfect for adding a mosaic glass tile around a bathroom mirror.
Watch this video to find out more.
Read Tips and Projects to Beat the Summer Heat to find out more.
- AC Summer Maintenance Tips for Your Home (video)
- Changing the Air Filter in Your Home (video)
- Installing a Central Vacuum System in Your Home (video)
Danny Lipford: Hi, I’m Danny Lipford. I’ll tell you, the summer’s heat is so hot, we’re spending a lot more time inside. Here’s a few things you need to think about.
First of all if you haven’t had your air conditioner serviced recently, go ahead and have it done right away to make sure they clean it, inspect it, calibrate it—it’ll work safer and a lot more efficient.
Now while you’re at it, if you call the guys from Carrier, they can fix you up with one of these like I have. It’s called a Côr Wi-Fi thermostat, and it’s so cool because it’s connected with your app—it’s completely free from Carrier—to control everything.
You control here, you can control right on your phone, so it really does make it a lot easier to monitor everything that’s happening on your air conditioning system. And, also, it is extremely smart, because it can sense how you like the temperature in your house, and it can keep it that way.
Now, when you’re in your house, you’ve got to think about indoor air quality, and a lot of problems with indoor air pollution these days. First of all make sure you use your bath exhaust fan, your kitchen exhaust fan, and keep your air conditioning filter nice and clean. That’s the first line of defense to kind of get a lot of those contaminants out of your house.
Another thing to think about, what vacuum cleaner to use. A lot of people don’t realize these canister vacs are not what you might think, because the air comes in, and yes it’s filtered and it deposits the debris and so forth in a little canister there, but then it exhausts a lot of the debris right back into the room.
Not the case with a central vac system. This one from NuTone is called the PurePower. And basically it has an outlet—you know, several outlets—throughout the house, and then it goes to a main canister.
And what the NuTone type of central vac system will do; it’ll collect that debris, but then it exhausts it right to the outside where you don’t have to worry about affecting your indoor air quality.
Hey, you know you’re inside, you don’t have to stop doing a little improving, and I’ll tell you what makes it a lot easier. I’m in my daughter’s room, and she found out about Glue Dots. It’s really pretty cool. It’s the new way to glue.
And this type of repositionable type Glue Dot was used to put some paint samples on the wall, check it out, and also to put her drop cloths down to make sure they’re good.
Then use the more advanced strength ones for robe hooks, to make sure she had them right where she wanted. But then she got real crafty, and she’s using it to create this nice frame with these glass tiles.
So it’s a real nice way to do some light decorating and a number of things by just simply using Glue Dots and using a little initiative.
And more information at my website, TodaysHomeowner.com.