Converting existing attic space into a bedroom is a popular project that can return over 93% of the money invested when you sell your house. When deciding whether to convert an attic into living space, consider the following questions:
- Easy Access: Is the attic area easy to get to, and are there stairs already in place?
- Ceiling Height: Is the ceiling high enough to keep the space from feeling cramped?
- Natural Light: Will you use skylights, dormers, or gable windows to provide natural light and ventilation to the room?
- Floor Strength: Are the existing joists strong enough to support the floor, or will larger ones need to be installed?
- Mechanical Systems: Will existing plumbing, electrical, or heating and cooling ducts cause a problem?