When building stairs or steps for a deck:
- Make sure all of the step risers are the same height, and all the step treads the same width to avoid a tripping hazard.
- The rise of each step is determined by the height of the landing from the ground, with each step height from 7″ to 8″ high.
- The width of each step should be from 11″ to 12″ wide.
- The stringers for the steps are notched at right angles with the proper rise and run.
- After cutting one stringer, use it as a pattern for all the others.
- Notch the top of the stringer so it rests on a ledger board attached to the deck framing.
- Attach deck stair treads with the cup facing down to prevent the steps from holding water or acting as a tripping hazard.
Watch this video to find out more.